1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a copy of Kuhnhausen's Volume 1 last night. My wife and I were going over the schematic and I retrieved my Kimber TLE to show her the parts in person (after unloading and chamber checking many times of course). As I was showing her the ejector, I noticed something that did not look right. I field stripped the pistol to find this:

As you can see the tip of the extended ejector broke off, and it looks as if the ejector is not seated flush to the frame anymore. Also, in the last picture you can see some sort of damage to the slide.

The last time I fired and cleaned the gun, I did not notice anything out of the ordinary. What could have caused this?

BTW, this is an Ed Brown part not the Kimber MIM part.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
Over insertion of magazines can cause this.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Proper magazines can't be overinserted 'cuz the base plate prevents the top of the magazine from reaching the ejector.

I don't know the frame size of a "TLE" but I can easily strike the ejector with Government Model magazines in an Officer ACP size frame if I slam them in fast enough to travel past the magazine catch.

This may just be a bad part. Replace it and move on! :)

-- Chuck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking at the surface of the break, the fine grain structure of the break. It suggests to me that the ejector was too hard. That being said, when's the last time you replaced the recoil spring? A weak recoil spring increases the velocity that the ejector is struck.
Gort

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
Note this ejector is an EB aftermarket.Fitting may be required should be always required.It isn't unusual to remove a little material from the lower inside corner of an ejector for clearance,afterall EB does'nt know which frame it's going on.Check your mags. for a very small smudge in this area.The breach face mark says the same thing happened. Ejector is bent/pushed up with slide back and then closes on it.Bingo.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I concur. It looks like damage that a mag would cause. It kept slamming the extended ejector until it worked it loose and then every time the slide cycled, it rubbed against the top of the ejector (see scars in the photo). It's always good to insert a mag all the way up and check the underside of a newly-installed extended ejector. Many times a little metal will need to be removed to clear the mag lips.

Bob

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, thanks for all the replies. This is weird because I had this ejector installed last Christmas, and have probably 1,000 rounds through it since then. I will have my gunsmith check the mags when he installs the new one.

·
Registered
346 Posts
see dent on slide

I wonder if the slide comming forward could possible be pushing down on the tip of the ejector bending it up and down causing it to fail. look under the slide for a scrape mark. is that a scrape on top of the ejector from the slide. when you fit next one make sure the tip dosnt point up or rub on slide and it clears, the angle I see would make the tip to high

·
Registered
472 Posts
mags caused this problem

My friend had an STI ejector break twice before we figured out what was wrong. It was, in fact, the magazines slamming up on it when inserted. A new ejector was installed and fit so that there was a little clearance b/w the magazine and the ejector, and problem solved.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Check the lip on the bottom of your mag(s). Over a long period of energetic insertions, they can bend and allow the mag to seat deeper. That would allow a mag to crash that didn't before.

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
The big rub mark on top is a clue.

FYI, If you dress that ejector flat at the angle its broken, it should work fine..

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. After studying it more in detail it does look like it was mag overinsertion.

Bladeandbarrel, I actually thought about doing that but the ejector is not sitting flush with the frame anymore. So I am just going to replace it and make sure it is fitted with some clearance for the mags. Thanks again!

This site is awesome! :rock:

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
TXHoss said:
Thanks guys. After studying it more in detail it does look like it was mag overinsertion.

Bladeandbarrel, I actually thought about doing that but the ejector is not sitting flush with the frame anymore. So I am just going to replace it and make sure it is fitted with some clearance for the mags. Thanks again!

This site is awesome! :rock:
Just whack it with a mallet and dress with a file!:eek:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
It appears the result of 'mag to ejector' contact and an ejector that might not have been of the best quality, either heat-treated improperly or wasn't sized within specs, or was a bad cast or injection...

The good thing, it's an easy fix and now you can select the grade of the replacement ejector and the manufacturer; it should never have to be replaced again after the repair...

Good luck...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ColtM1911A1, I thought I chose a high quality ejector when I got the Ed Brown. It is supposed to be made of heat treated 4140 alloy steel.

So are there any better suggestions for which ejector to use?

Also, since I am a newbie and still learning about the setup on 1911s, did I do something wrong with the mags, like using too much force, or was this ejector not setup right? I got all 4 of my Wilson 47Ds tuned when the gun was modified by my gunsmith. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
TXHoss, you didn't do anything wrong, and we're just speculating here without having the piece in hand...

Even the best parts suppliers throw out a lemon now and then. Over the years fixing these things, I've gotten bad or out of spec parts from all of them. Heat treating problems cannot be observed by looking at the part; it only becomes apparent after use...

Try a few other mags and observe the clearance they have inside the chamber, below the ejector when compared to the Wilson's -- it may become more obvious after doing that little test. Wilson makes good products, but, IMO, their magazines are not at the top of the list. To try and ward off the Wilson club, again, that's my opinion. Regardless, do the little test; borrow a few mags from other shooters...

Good luck...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts