1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not having ejection problems but have a 1911 format pistol which tends to eject brass toward the right-front area most of the time. What physically causes this? Seems to me that the brass would rotate around the extractor after the ejector pushes the end of the case around causing it to eject to the side and rear.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Sounds like your extractor tension is too loose. Or too tight....No, too loose.....Oh crap, it's late.......YOUR EXTRACTOR IS NOT ADJUSTED PROPERLY. .....good night....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Does your gun go to slide lock. If the gun short cycles or the ejector is too short this could cause the problem along with extractor tension.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Do you have a buffer installed in your gun?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for the renewed interest!

JoeMc, the slide doesn't go to slide lock and I don't think it is short cycling since I haven't had any FTF or not locking slide back on last round.

Ken, yes it does have a shock buff. I'm using one of the 0.090 Heitt buffs. It's a commander length 45 ACP and I can still pull the slide back to release from slide lock so there is a little room left.

The theory of the case hitting the slide on the way out is a good one. I'll have to take a look for brass tracks around the ejection port next time out to see if there are any tell-tale signs.

I've checked the extractor tension and "think" it's okay, but I'll look at that again and maybe change it a little either way to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

·
Registered
11 Posts
There might be a bit of debris in your extractor or ejector mechanism. I had the same problem with an AR and it was a bit of crud in the ejector mechanism. My ejector rod in the bolt didn't move freely. You could feel that there was something in the works.

·
Registered
370 Posts
this isnt a bad thing, the shooters standing next to you at the range wont be getting pelted with hot brass

the com-bloc countries design there AK/SKS's with forward ejectors, probably for this very reason

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Originally posted by Black Pearl 45:
this isnt a bad thing, the shooters standing next to you at the range wont be getting pelted with hot brass

the com-bloc countries design there AK/SKS's with forward ejectors, probably for this very reason

The early ruger Mini-14s were designed the same way, for that very reason. It's bad enough to have to crawl through the muck and mire while hostile people are shooting at you, but to have to dodge hot brass from your squadmate is adding insult to injury.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not sure about a 1911, but with an AR...

The the "hotter" the cartridge, the further the brass will fly to the rear.

The stronger the ejector spring the further the brass will fly to the rear.

So downloaded 223 combined with a reduced power ejector spring will cause the brass to fly out at about the 1 oclock direction. I would think that if the same thing were happening in a 1911, that it might be the result of weak ammo (slower slide speeds??) and a short ejector. Maybe???

·
Registered
370 Posts
want to add insult to injury?

while in a combat situation, your buddies rifle sends hot brass down the back of your shirt, and while doing the "Hot Brass Dance" you get shot by the enemy.

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you are shooting full power loads and if your gun has the older style short ejector, and if you are using a standard weight recoil and hammer spring, it sounds like you need to either remove the shock buff or install an extended ejector. I would say the slide isn't going quite far enough to the rear to give the brass a good "rap" on the ejector, or isn't doing so with enough force to kick the brass out at the right time. You seem to be almost at the point of having a malfunction, so I would personally want to do something to get it to cycle correctly. If it locks back on the last round I would change the extractor if you still want to use the shock buff. One last thought--take out the shock buff and see if that cures it. If not, be sure your spring weights aren't heavier than standard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts