1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have reloaded a few pieces of brass and every once in a while, I have a FTE from my Springfields.

In one situation, it was a dented mag that was the problem.

But now, with reloads, it appears as though some of the cases are not ejecting from my WWII mil specs.

Ideas?

-Warlock

·
Registered
351 Posts
Could be many things...

You using a super light load? I tried loading 3.0 Bullseye with a 200 SWC, and in my Officer's size it wouldn't eject. Not enough oomph to rack that slide back with that heavy spring. A lighter spring solved that problem.

·
Registered
724 Posts
DanDean316, I did the same thing with 3.5 gr. Bullseye behind a 200 swc. My super reliable CD full size stainless would fte the last round every time. Not enough oomph and too many things going on for the last round. 4.8 gr. of Red Dot or Green Dot function 100%. You can make your own problems. I did too. Bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did you change anything in your loads before this happened? I experienced that problem when I bought some Starline brass at a gun show. I'd used mostly Winchester brass, and I found that the Starline has a smaller rim. My extractor had a divot in it, I don't know from what since I never used steel cased ammo. Anyway, I put in an Ed Brown extractor and it's good now. By the way this wasn't a light load, it was a 260JHP at 800+ fps.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Warlock,
Check the tension on your extractor. Remove your slide and place a loaded round (be careful) under the extractor claw and roll the slide around the axis formed by the barrel. The bullet should stay in place. This is a quick and dirty way of testing the extractor tension. There are gauges on the market that you place under the claw and pull with a trigger gauge to see how much force the extractor has.
I was having a similar problem on my STI and found that the extractor had "relaxed" a bit. I was having an occasional round try to hang up on the right side of the ejection port. I removed the extractor and adjusted the tension in it and have not had any problems with it since.
If you have problems that can't be easily resolved, by all means take your gun to a good gunsmith. He has most likely seen most any problem you can have.
FWIW
Dennis

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Is it an ejection or a stove pipe?

Ejection problems are when the case remains in the chamber and not ejecting.

Stove Pipe is when the case stands up in the chamber

TC

·
Registered
949 Posts
FTE.....

I have experienced this problem with my Springfield UC. I believe there were three main causes. One, as stated above that the loads were to light, two that the rim was worn from multiple reloadings and the third is a fouled chamber (occurrence after several hundred rounds). I fired the same batch through my National Match with no failures to eject. However, after several hundred rounds the NM fails to go into battery consistently. A little push from the thumb completes the task (indicative of light loads and light recoil spring).

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gonna try again...

I think I will try again with 5gr of bullseye and with LWC at the start of my session instead of at the end. (where the pistol is full of crud)

I'll post a range report/reload message after this weekend.

I am using Meister Hard Cast 200gr LWC

-Warlock

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the same problem with my Springfield and a friend had the same problem with his Kimber. They were both extractor problems. A gunsmith friend of mine pulled the extractors, gave them a very slight bend in the right direction, and our problems were solved.

·
Registered
949 Posts
extractor adjustment....

Good point on the extractor adjustment. My bad, I had assumed it had been checked along with the condition of the hook.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
check your brass

After checking the brass and taking a light bit of sandpaper to some of the rims, my spanking new WWII feeds and jects them just fine.

I figure, once I have 1000rds through it, this problem should disappear.

-Warlock

1 - 11 of 11 Posts