1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the main cause for 1991A1's or any 1911 type to fail to feed the last round?

Mine happens at times with various ammos. Every thing cycles flawlessly until the very last round. The round gets halfway into the chamber and the bullet is jammed into the top of the chamber and the bottom of the casing still hanging onto the magazine? Always, always always on the last round. Is there something to this weird effect??

Actually my problem seems to have dissapeared. I shout 50 or so rounds the other night and not a single hangup. I use Wilson mags and a factory colt mag in my 91A1 commander.

I assume more than likely it's the lips of the magazine. But when it happened a couple of times with the Wilson Mag, I was surprised. Although I don't think it ever happened with premium hollow point ammo.

Thanks!
David

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
This is the most common problem I have. I think it is a mag issue. The shape of the follower, combined with mag spring tension (or lack of), allows the last round to get moved slightly forward as the preceding round goes into the chamber. On the particular gun I am shooting, it happens almost exclusively wth CMC magazines, and extremely rarely with Wilson mags. The problems occur infrequently and sporadically. I am not suggesting CMC mags are bad, only that my gun does not seeem to work as well with them as it does with Wilson mags.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I think it's magazine too.
But as I said the problem seems to have stopped with my 91A1. I was starting to actaully want to get rid of the gun, but came to my senses

I'm about to buy a case a ball ammo, and I plan on using that 1000 rounds to carefully document how many times it will happen, and any other problem for that matter, plus making sure I have the magazines marked as well, to see if it is something that is magazine specific.

David

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Disassemble, clean and lubricate the mag (lightly!). Note if the spring is installed correctly - notice as you take it apart and compare with your other mags. Take a caliper and measure the feedlips on the mag and compare with a known, good mag of the same brand.

I keep spare "calibration" recoil and magazine springs in my gun box to compare with the ones in use - it gives me a visual standard of comparison to see when they are starting to weaken.

What it actually sounds like, since the problem seems to have "solved itself" is that your gun was on the tight side of it's tolerances, had a burr, dirt or grit inside, perhaps too much extractor tension, a little light on the lube (particularly if it is stainless) - it could one of several things. The new "enhanced tolerances" are nice - but we see a lot more early "breakin" malfunctions with some 1911s.

Sometimes it simply is the magazine, combined with the particular round used. We always send people back to the range who come in with "gun problems" if they were using reloads, period.

Personally, I advise every new 1911 owner to clean and inspect the gun before firing the first round, lube it generously with a standard (non-teflon - mineral oil, etc) lube for breakin purposes, and go shoot it with quality Ball ammo - American Eagle or Winchester prefered. (No Blazer or UMC). After the first 200 rounds, if you do not have 100% reliability, it's time to visit your local 1911 gunsmith or return the gun to the factory for adjustment. And even if it runs with Ball, put at least 50 or 100 rounds of your carry ammo through the gun, using all magazines you will carry. Then before you carry it, have a smith inspect it and do a standard relibility job on it if you have any remaining concerns.

A standard reliability job for any 1911 should include extractor tensioning and contouring, checking the plunger tube staking, and function of all safeties. Polishing the breechface, the feed ramp and the chamber are worthwhile and strongly recommended as well.

We use and recommend the Cylinder and Slide Spring Steel extractor for ALL brands of 1911 - even when brand new, as spring steel was the original design intent, and they hold their tension well. I have a 1920 Argentine Colt that appears to have it's original extractor - and it still goes bang, every time - 81 years after it left Hartford!

Your gun is probably fine now, nothing at all to be psyched about - but always remember that you are the final inspector. These are emergency response devices - final testing is the owners responsibility. Besides, it's fun to do the testing, and bond with your new weapon. Give us another report after a few hundred more rounds.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits and Patent Infringements"

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,003 Posts
I would advise against putting any lubricant in your mags. It's the one part of the 1911 that is probably better left absolutely dry. Lubricant attracts dirt and dust, and it is most important that the mags be kept clean. I've had three last-round failures, as you described, in the last 500 rounds (after having had a total of three FTF's in the previous 5000). I bought new mag springs, and found the spring in the offending mag was about 2/3 the length of the new spring!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll check my spring in my oldest mag- the original colt mag that came with my 91A-1 (8 or 9 years old). I was maging through my supplies the other day and found a Wilson conversion kit, brand new, still in the little ziplock bag. What I'll do is take out the colt mag spring and compare the length to the brand new Wilson (Wolfe) spring, which I would assume is the extra-power type. Also the round top follower can be installed.

I also keep 2 of my Wilson 7 round mags loaded with 5 rounds, and every now and then unload them and reload them. Maybe it would be better to keep one loaded and rotate the rounds in the other Wilson mag (I keep the gun in my room, and not for carry).

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks
David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts