1911Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Used Breakfree CLP for several years, never had a problem. I've also used BF CLP for cleaning and Gun Butter oil for lube.

Used Tetra Gun products for a while, but found out it could break down and develop mold after a while, so I stopped using it.

I wanted to go nontoxic (or at least less-toxic), so about a year ago I started using MPro7 for cleaning and Lubriplate oil for lube. No complaints.

I think people can overthink cleaners/lubricants. While some may objectively be better than others, I also think it's hard to go wrong with any of the good choices out there today.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
"Still using my original oil can of Hoppe's #9 since 1967." Well you're not using very much are ya? How big is that can?
Previous post has been edited. That's Outer's Gun Oil 2.25 fl oz and not Hoppe's. And one other lubricant has been used in the interim, Break Free CLP.

A hoarder here, I still refill my original 1967 bottle of Hoppe's No. 9 gun cleaner with fresh stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
While I will happily use a variety of products from Hoppes, Flitz, etc. I really do worship at the altar of G96. The Crudbuster spray, bore cleaner and white grease are all very good in my opinion. But, the Original G96 is damn near magical. I swear it can molecularly soak into your blued, nickeled or parkarized metal and protect the finish unlike any other gun product I am aware of. If I see it in a shop I buy it. I usually order direct from them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I use Xylene as a carbon deposit and general bore cleaner......Acetone sometimes on a shotgun bore to remove the build-up from plastic wads.......Walmart "house brand" Brake Cleaner in place of spray Gun Scrubber. Sweet's 7.62 is my 'go to' copper remover. For lubrication, my favorite is Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts