1911Forum banner

What cleaner lubricant are you using to keep your rifle and shotgun running smooth

4K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  theraptur 
#1 ·
I've been using G96 Treatment and now running low. Need to replace or buy something new? Been using this product for general spray down after a range day and if I picked up a used gun. When I have used on a neglected used firearm I have purchased, the defiance before and after is impressive.

I use to pick up this product at local gun shows but have not seen it on anyone's tables lately.

What are you using with success as a general purpose cleaner, lubricant and protectant?

Thanks,
38superman

Bottle Liquid Drink Font Magenta

See less See more
#6 ·
G96 is a good product. I used it and never complained.
These days I'm doing this:
- fast maintenance after range or class:
  • OTIS CLP85
  • Hoppe's Black Lube for contact points (for tight fitted firearms)
  • Ballistol (for all other firearms)

- deep cleaning (every 6 months or whenever I won't use firearm for next few months):
  • OTIS CLP85 + Hoppe's Bore Cleaner
  • Hornady OneShot Gun Cleaner (it removes every sh*t from the guns)
  • Hoppe's Black Lube for contact points (for tight fitted firearms) or Ballistol (for all other firearms)
  • Eezox for outside coat

I've found that most of cleaners and lubes are doing the same job. The reason I'm using products above are:
  • CLP85: its CLP so single product for everything. This one really cleans fantastically... much better than BreakFree CLP
  • Hornady OneShot: it's spray and removes all residues from inside of the firearms. All my guns look like new after few years of shooting. Never found better cleaner.
  • Eezox: makes the magic on the outside surface removing fingerprints :). Dries very fast.

#8 ·
Kano kroil for cleaning and cold weather lube. If it is hot and I am running a lot of rounds I will use a little bit of 3 in one oil on moving parts. a lot a knowledgeable people swear by Mobil one. I would not hesitate to use that either.

#10 ·
Hornady OneShot:
I've only recently started to use Hornady One Shot. I'm a real fan right away. The dry finish combined with changing to quicker powders has made quite the difference in a rather diverse mix of guns. Since you are familiar with it and have such a positive reference to it I'm curious to know when you would use the other ones that you mentioned.

I saw that someone did a test of about two dozen lubes and cleaners. He took flat pieces of bear steel and drag them across something with weight on them and measured how much resistance there was, expose them to salty water and left them outside etc. Only three products kept the metal from getting surface rust. Most products allowed the surface rust very quickly and it included a lot of popular CL peas and fellow stalls and famous common lubes. The three products that didn't allow any corrosion were FrogLube WD-40 plus and Hornady One Shot. Or that he was the only one that was a gun cleaner as well. It goes dry fairly quickly after running everything out. I refused it into semis that got filthy enough but I got a light strike on last two strings in same stage in a Steel Challenge match - trashed my score. That was a 22 rifle and like many 22s there's plenty of unburnt powder. The one shot being dry keep saying so much cleaner than having something clingy wet. Same thing in a lever action rifle where the firing pin runs through the bolt. Low power loads were dirty. Since then I have stopped using low power HP38 and TiteGroup loads . Now I use a cleaner power like E3 and drier Hornady One Shot. Quite the nice change.

#14 · (Edited)
i hear ya on the dry lubes. I tried some of those but wasn't sure that I was happy with them and I started using what stuff again. Going to matches 5 times a month thorough stripping and cleaning wasn't happening regularly. Otherwise reliable guns did get dirty enough to inhibit the actions even in a lever gun. Besides influencing my cleaning habits it also has me focusing on the One-Shot version of a dry lube and not running soft loads with powders that are better off perky.
I just picked up a lightly used Marlin 1894 in 41 magnum. It feels stiff and/or dry and looks it. After disassembling it and checking it out it will be getting its first dose of One Shot from me. I don't expect to be running light loads in it unless it is with powders like e3. I think it's going to get pleasantly slick and clean.

#15 ·
I switched over to this and really like it. My buddy has connections so I get a price cut in it.
Liquid Bottle Automotive tire Fluid Personal care

#18 ·
I've been using G96 Treatment and now running low. Need to replace or buy something new? Been using this product for general spray down after a range day and if I picked up a used gun. When I have used on a neglected used firearm I have purchased, the defiance before and after is impressive.

I use to pick up this product at local gun shows but have not seen it on anyone's tables lately.

What are you using with success as a general purpose cleaner, lubricant and protectant?

Thanks,
38superman

View attachment 622626
I gave up on one-step CLPs when I was exposed to them in the military in the 90's. I was brought up with hoppe's 9 bore solvent to clean (ONLY TO CLEAN) and any light oil to oil (I like hoppe's oil for that too) but I'll use remoil or any other similar.

For frame rails I use milcom tw-25 or mobil1 synth, or just oil if I have no grease on hand.

For the M1 Garand's op rod and bolt lugs I only use mobil 1 grease. Light oil everywhere else, with a very tiny amount in the ejector and extractor springs.

Not a fan of CLPs. Ugh. Keep that away from my guns. I dunno if the CLP I used in the military is the same as civilian but it was a disgusting grey slurry that felt like it had bits of something in it.

#21 ·
Used Breakfree CLP for several years, never had a problem. I've also used BF CLP for cleaning and Gun Butter oil for lube.

Used Tetra Gun products for a while, but found out it could break down and develop mold after a while, so I stopped using it.

I wanted to go nontoxic (or at least less-toxic), so about a year ago I started using MPro7 for cleaning and Lubriplate oil for lube. No complaints.

I think people can overthink cleaners/lubricants. While some may objectively be better than others, I also think it's hard to go wrong with any of the good choices out there today.

Reactions: theraptur
#24 ·
Previous post has been edited. That's Outer's Gun Oil 2.25 fl oz and not Hoppe's. And one other lubricant has been used in the interim, Break Free CLP.

A hoarder here, I still refill my original 1967 bottle of Hoppe's No. 9 gun cleaner with fresh stuff.

#26 ·
While I will happily use a variety of products from Hoppes, Flitz, etc. I really do worship at the altar of G96. The Crudbuster spray, bore cleaner and white grease are all very good in my opinion. But, the Original G96 is damn near magical. I swear it can molecularly soak into your blued, nickeled or parkarized metal and protect the finish unlike any other gun product I am aware of. If I see it in a shop I buy it. I usually order direct from them.

#27 ·
I use Xylene as a carbon deposit and general bore cleaner......Acetone sometimes on a shotgun bore to remove the build-up from plastic wads.......Walmart "house brand" Brake Cleaner in place of spray Gun Scrubber. Sweet's 7.62 is my 'go to' copper remover. For lubrication, my favorite is Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.