1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up to what year of manufacture or serial number? I tried to find this here and on the web but the best I could find was up to C130000 which can't be right as this would only be guns in the 1920s or older. Also, it was mentioned in a post that as the rule it's 50 years or older but where does it say that officially? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
To what end do you want the info? Did you want to know if a specific gun is C&R or do you have a C&R and want to know whats available?

The cheapest C&R 1911s I know of are actually the argetine DGFM's colt parts fit on em at least.

It looks like all the national match guns are on the list too.

for others it looks like its just the 50 year rule that applys, which is accurate so long as it meets the unmodified requirement.

And then you have my 1986 produced yugo sks with tritium night sights foot long knife bayonet and grenade launcher attachment that is also C&R probably only because it doesnt have a pistol grip, i love these laws.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found my guide "Firearms Curios and Relics List" from BAFTE. It's now my understanding that "the list" isn't all-conclusive. It states on page 2 under the heading "What are Curios and Relics" that in order to be recognized as C&R, a firearms has to be in one of three categories as specified in the regulations. The first category is "Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof." So if it's over 50 years old it is a C&R gun.

John

·
Registered
923 Posts
I found my guide "Firearms Curios and Relics List" from BAFTE. It's now my understanding that "the list" isn't all-conclusive. It states on page 2 under the heading "What are Curios and Relics" that in order to be recognized as C&R, a firearms has to be in one of three categories as specified in the regulations. The first category is "Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof." So if it's over 50 years old it is a C&R gun.

John
What does that mean in practical terms? Do you not need an FFL to buy or sell a 50+ year old Colt?

·
Banned
33 Posts
What does that mean in practical terms? Do you not need an FFL to buy or sell a 50+ year old Colt?
It means if you have a 03 ‘Curio and Relics’ FFL you can buy the gun mail order from another state and have it delivered to your front door – no getting your dealer’s 01 FFL copy and no transfer fee.

If you’re interested in Milsurp it’s a great deal and very convenient. As noted above some guns less then 50 years old are placed on the list like the CZ 82.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It means if you have a 03 ‘Curio and Relics’ FFL you can buy the gun mail order from another state and have it delivered to your front door – no getting your dealer’s 01 FFL copy and no transfer fee.

If you’re interested in Milsurp it’s a great deal and very convenient. As noted above some guns less then 50 years old are placed on the list like the CZ 82.
Be aware of your STATE LAWS too!!! Some state laws are more stringent then federal law and you may get into trouble if you do not know the rules in your State. For example, in California, 03 C&R FFL will not give you the right to buy and deliver to your front door.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Gotta be 50 years old, or on a specific list of C&R firearms. Any firearm made before 1958 is C&R, even machineguns (but it's gotta be on the registry and you still need the tax stamp!).

C&R FFL is thirty bucks for three years. Beware, you'll be buying pages of stuff from Shotgun News!

-- Chuck

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Also beware that a 50 year old 1911 is not instrinsically worth
more than a 49 year old 1911. Be a wise shopper, and don't pay
a premium price just because it is C&R eligible. A $20 transfer fee
is better than paying $300 extra for a gun just because it is C&R
eligible.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Gotta be 50 years old, or on a specific list of C&R firearms. Any firearm made before 1958 is C&R, even machineguns (but it's gotta be on the registry and you still need the tax stamp!).

C&R FFL is thirty bucks for three years. Beware, you'll be buying pages of stuff from Shotgun News!

-- Chuck
Hahaha-My father is doing just that! Unfortunately he's still in Taxachussetts, so he is limited regarding certain stuff...He's currently going thru a Mosin Nagant fetish... :eek:

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
I bought 13 various C&R firearms the first year. I still have 5... :biglaugh:

My 1919 production M1911, a M1917 (S&W) Revolver, M1898 Carbine, M1903 Rifle, and a M1 Rifle.

The Mausers (rifles and pistols), Makarovs, etc. are all gone!

-- Chuck

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hahaha-My father is doing just that! Unfortunately he's still in Taxachussetts, so he is limited regarding certain stuff...He's currently going thru a Mosin Nagant fetish... :eek:

I live in Taxachusetts and am in the process of getting my C&R. what do I need to be careful with? are there firearms that I could legally buy with a C&R, but would violate my state's laws? ever since I've had my MA LTC, I've just confined myself to what the state allows me to buy. but now I'm broadening my horizons so I need to do some homework so as not to break any laws!

shoot, I just realized I hijacked the hell out of this one. sorry, I'll ask elsewhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.