1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new M1991A1 Commander. It is stainless with a satin nickle? finish. The sides of the slide and hammer are polished. The corners of the slide (4 at the front, 2 lowers at the rear) have been dehorned. It has an enlarged ejection port, though not as large as a Defender. It has the 'high' three dot white sights. Slide stop and thumb safety are standard. The grip safety is a beaver tail and the mainspring is flat. It also looks like the mag well has been tapered. The barrel seems to have a narrow feed ramp.

The slide is marked on the left 'Colt M1991A1™' with 'Stainless' below that. The right side is marked 'Commander Model'. The serial number start with "CJ".

I have put well over 500 rnds over the couple of months I've owned it. I have been using it in a 'Fun' league the local indoor range has. I've had 2 and my Brother had one, FTF due to 'limp wristing'. None during any of the 'rapid-fire' matches I've been participating in. Overall I am in love with this weapon and wouldn't hesitate to carry it into any situation. BTW, though I have yet to win a match, I'm consitantly placing in the top 3.

So what do I have in terms of 'Model' designation, if any?

TIA,

Sgt.K

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
My Commander sounds the same as yours. Colt's designation is 04091U. You can call it a Stainless Commander (same as Combat Commander, only in stainless). What is the rest of your s/n? I'll check mine when I get home tonite and see how close they are. Email me if you don't want the world to see your s/n, if you like.

PS - This has been my most accurate Commander I've ever owned. 1" 5-shot groups at 25 yds. CONSISTENTLY from a rest. All is stock except Wilson Bulletproof firing pin, slide stop and Wolff 20 lb. recoil spring and Wislon shok-buffs.

·
Registered
293 Posts
as far as the polished slide goes, i saw two in a gun shop the other day, it appears that since colt has decidedto start polishing the slides on their matte models that they are now polishing up the stainless. personally i like the polished look better on the stainless, the matte stainless just looked too plain for me. i don't own a stainless finish weapon, but if i gwet one it will be "nice and shiny on the flats"

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
That's the standard 1991 Stainless Commander.
It's got some of the old Enhanced features.

Colt is now polishing the sides on the stainless 1991's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts