1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my SA full-size, it was with the intention of using it at work. Came to find out that I needed a S80 FP safety so I bought a used Colt......Oh Darn, forced to buy another pistol (could even have lost my job!!).

Love the Colt far more than I thought I would. Drives tacks and shines like a diamond! WoooooHoooo.

Anyhow, having two GM's isn't my bag considering that I would have to spend a small fortune to bring that SA up to spec, and it would still not equal the Colt in feel or appeal. That leaves me with the horrible task of acquiring a more compact Colt.

What are your thoughts on the smaller weapons? I'm looking for something with a shorter grip for easier concealment, but I don't want to get too small. A shorter barrel is a must, I think, but hp's must still expand reliably.

Definitely stainless, under chrome if that's available. Nightsights, probably Ashley's. Grips, MDLabs.

Talk to me.

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Registered
130 Posts
It sounds to me like you need a Defender. I have one.....it's reliable,looks good and accurate. What more can you ask for?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Vaughn

It looks like meb beat me to the best recommendation from Colt. Your only other option in a new pistol is a 1991 Compact, which is the same size pistol as the Officers Model which has been discontinued.

The differences between the Compact and the Defender are not very noticable at first glance. First the frames are the same size, but the Compact is steel (carbon or stainless) while the Defender is Aluminum. Later versions of the Defender came with a nickle/teflon finish on the frame. The Defender uses a Stainless steel slide over a 3.25 inch bushingless bull barrel. The Compact slide is either carbon or stainless steel over a 3.5 inch bull barrel that uses a bushing.

From the few I have seen at my local ranges and what I have read on line. The Defender is the better choice in a carry pistol.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

[This message has been edited by Str8_Shot (edited 11-11-2001).]

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Damn I love how you write! Don't get a Defender get a sawed off shotgun. Just kidding get a .45 you can't really hit anything with. Unless you carry 3 spare mags and are ten feet away. Then you could wing the shoulder in 28 shots. And thats if your enemy is standing perfectly still. I can't believe people actually recommend small 11s. What has America turned into?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Vaughn,

If you can find one, take a look at the Colt CCO - Commander slide over an Officer frame.
Best compromise between accuracy and concealability.
Good luck in your seach.

Bob

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Defender, Defender, Defender. Oh, and did I mention a Defender?

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

IF IT'S NOT A COLT, IT'S JUST A COMPROMISE!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I dont think its been mentioned yet, but my
choice of a Colt compact is the DEFENDER. Just thought I would throw that in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Whats a Defender?

I saw what looked to be a XS Defender in a shop yesterday. It had the dorsal bearvertail and dovetailed sights front and rear. The box said Stainless/Nickel finish. I guess thats the electroless nickel/teflon finish. The guy was asking 600.00 for it. Are they worth that. It was used but looked new.

·
Registered
703 Posts
DEFENDER!

------------------
If it wasn't for the NRA, the second ammendment would already be gone!

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Yes, even used they are worth $600.00. I would not bat an eye at that price unless there appeared to be something seriously wrong with it.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

IF IT'S NOT A COLT, IT'S JUST A COMPROMISE!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Originally posted by Redzone:
Damn I love how you write! Don't get a Defender get a sawed off shotgun. Just kidding get a .45 you can't really hit anything with. Unless you carry 3 spare mags and are ten feet away. Then you could wing the shoulder in 28 shots. And thats if your enemy is standing perfectly still. I can't believe people actually recommend small 11s. What has America turned into?
At the risk of sounding boastful, I feel sorry for anyone ten feet in front of me if I'm shooting at them with my defender!

[This message has been edited by 173abn (edited 11-12-2001).]

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sure do appreciate the input so far, gentlemen, and the compliments on my writing skills.

Redzone, long-range accuracy isn't really critical as contact distance is far more likely in my line of work. Truth be told, I doubt I would be able to clear leather before the bad guy had a blade in my belly.

And I'm sure you'll all be happy to know that since there is some debate over the better of the two weapons proposed, Defender v. Compact, I am seriously considering getting one of each for comparison and evaluation. The family won't be getting many Christmas presents (the dollar store does have some nice stuff, though), but I'll be happy.

Anyone interested in a SA "Loaded", let me know.

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'll take you up on that. How about I use your head as a target about 15 yards out with my "small 11" and see if I can hit it?

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
If you don't believe me just post your name tuff guy. And i'll see you real fast ********.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Ok i'll lighten up as no cory brickner came up in white pages. If your serious though I can see if Glendale pd can come up with a match. Are you serious brickner or just thinking your tough?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Threaten me again and i'll **** you up something fierce. You ****ing magot!

If you don't believe me just post your name tuff guy. And i'll see you real fast ********.

Ok i'll lighten up as no cory brickner came up in white pages. If your serious though I can see if Glendale pd can come up with a match. Are you serious brickner or just thinking your tough?
Mr. Miller, you have a serious defect. Nice change of the e-mail address there... Did you create that account just to send me threats so I couldn't trace you back to the rlmiller one? In case you haven't noticed, the IPs are logged here. It seems that you are the one doing the treatening both here on the forum and in private e-mails. Have you been taking your meds lately?

Based on your quote, you feel "small 11s" can't hit anything. If you really felt that way, you wouldn't mind using your head as a target.

I have submitted your e-mail to the 1911forums webmaster and asked him to rule on our posts using their use policy. If I have violated it, I am willing take whatever consequences they see fit. But you certainly have.

You may not have liked my sarcasm, but I felt it was certainly a valid response to your post. Obviously "small 11s" are accurate enough to illicit a response in which you act in a vulgar and violent way.

I haven't threatened you with anything, so the police really wouldn't have cause to do much. But, given your posts and e-mail to me, you have threatened me.

If you are really feeling litigious, and you feel like trying to call me or the police, go ahead. I have a great attorney friend that pretty much loves a good fight, or even a bad one...

[This message has been edited by Gun Nut (edited 11-13-2001).]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.