1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These were range reloads, pretty light.

I had a magazine of ball and decided to use them at the end of the session. Did not jam like this. Sample of one mag only though.

Slide locked back on empty with both mags, a 7rd Mec Gars and a 7rd flush Sig compact magazine.

Jams happened with both mags. Averaging one or two times with most all the mags for 100 rounds.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
If it only happened with reload, then it looks like your reload just needs a little more crimp, or maybe just a tad shorter.

Next time it does that, pull the slide back, take out the shell and look for the shinny spot on the shell. It could be the mouth of the case or the bullet touching the rifling.

I ran across a guy at the club that had the same problem (except a lot of them) with his Gold Cup . After talking to him , he said that he does not remove the flare, because he does not want to rework the brass so it lasts longer !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
You might want to check your extractor tension and be sure that it is not too tight. Are you running a lighter weight recoil spring for you light range loads?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Did the extractor catch the rim of the case?
When you pull the slide back, is the round still in the chamber?

That looks exactly like what my gun would look like when it suffered an inertial feed.
The round popped out of the magazine early and the rim was ahead of the extractor claw.

If this is the problem you are having, you can mitigate it in a couple ways.

1. Make sure magazines are clean and have no oil in them.
2. Use a GI magazine with a dimple follower.
3. Make sure your magazines springs are not worn out.
4. Make sure your extractor is fit, polished, and beveled correctly.
5. Make sure there is at least 30 .oz of tension on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gun is new, these are the first hundred rounds. Springs are all factory.

Was not able to check for markings on the cartridge as I never had to eject any of the rounds. They were all like that, all were under the extractor as they should be. A light tap put them all fully into battery and they fired fine.

Ejection was pretty weak but consistent, the brass was in a small pile on the table in the bay I was in.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Reloads not crimped enough. I had to buy a taper crimp die for my 40. Worked so well solving a feeding problem I got one in 45. Will use on all reloads from now on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Remove the barrel and see if the rounds DROP in the chamber on their own (You have to drop them). If not, get a chamber gauge.
I have ".001" Under" sizing die for 45 ACP, 40S&W and 9mm

·
Registered
275 Posts
Plunk check your ammo....if they all seat
Stronger recoil spring is needed

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, found it...clocking extractor. :/

At the range started with measuring ammo in the chamber.

Still having FTRBs.

Noticed random erratic ejection so was starting to suspect the extractor.

Borrowed a sharpie and drew a witness mark on the bqck of the extractor to the rear of slide.

Next FTRB sure enough the lines were not aligned.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ugh. So that isnt it?

Mr. Rogers, I'd appreciate your insight on where to start with this if you would be so kind.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I never shoot someone's reloads in my pistols, rifles, or shotguns. Learned that long ago.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts