1911Forum banner

What did you do in the reloading room today?

529K views 9K replies 827 participants last post by  flintlock62 
When I got up this morning I saw this thread and finally decided to open it and take a look. After reading all 23 pages and taking lots of notes, I feel energized and ready to go back out to the heat in my garage and start my next project.

After reloading and casting for about 15 years, I gave it up and sold off my equipment. Lots of reasons for doing it at the time, none seem good right now.

I decided to get back into it this past April, bought a Dillon Square Deal on eBay that came with everything for the calibers I wanted to reload for (9mm, .38 & .357, 40 S&W, and 45ACP), and a ton of extra goodies for $500.00. Was able to get primers and bullets to recreate my old loads. Then came the shock that I couldn't find my old powders (Unique, Bullseye, & 2400) anywhere. I'm tying powders that I have never used before, wishing for the day I can get back to my old favorites.

I have loaded 1000 45s, 1000 40s, 1000 38s, & 1500 9s so far using PB, Ramshot Competion, and Trail Boss. Right now I am trying to figure how much CFE Pistol Powder to use to finish up another 500 rounds of 9mm. That is what started me on this thread, looking for anyone else's load.

It gets up to about 106 degrees in my garage so I reload in the morning. Looking forward to cooler days, more shooting, and rereading this thread.

Need a work stool

i assembled my new workbench, ordered a new work stool with back....

I have tried different stools and find all so far uncomfortable. What is your bench vs stool heights? Should I be higher or lower than the bench? With or without a back? Any recommendations on this would be appreciated.

Rick

I was changing from 9mm to .45acp on my Dillon Square Deal when I noticed the little indent ball was missing. I know it was there when I took off the 9mm shell plate. I quick call to Dillon and and another one is on its way. My day ended early.

Loaded up 500 rounds of 40 S&W using Unique and 180 grain Black and Blue black bullets. I like the looks of the black coated bullets. After the games today will load some 180 grain Extreme bullets.

Rick

Last week I was loading up some 40 S&W on my Dillon Square Deal. The handle went down, the shell plate went up, the handle went up, but the shell plate and cases stayed up in the dies. The screw that holds the shell plate snapped in half. A quick call to Dillon and they told me what to do and they put a couple of screws in the mail.

During the short wait I decided it was a great time to clean up the area. Used a can of compressed air to clean out small tight areas, cleaned up some spilled powder residue, and then organized everything on the bench. I felt good about my efforts and couldn't wait for my delivery from Dillon.

It came in the mail yesterday but couldn't put things back together until this morning. You know that small ejector wire that throws the finished round into bin? I guess in my cleaning frenzy I "cleaned" it right into the trash can that the garbage truck picked up last Friday.

Back on the phone with Dillon first thing tomorrow morning. At least there are a couple of football games today to occupy my time.

I will pick up my new Ruger PC 9 on Tuesday so I reloaded 1,000 9MM rounds. I used a variety of bullet weights; coated lead, plated and FMJ bullets. I also tried a couple of different powders.

I'm looking forward to getting out to our range which just reopened this weekend after being partially burned in the Camp Fire that is finally out. Who is shooting the little Ruger and what is your favorite load?

Our local Sportsman’s Warehouse has small pistol primers for $5.57 per 100. You are limited to 2 boxes per person. When they have them in, I take my wife and all other adults I can find to purchase some to stock up. I was able to pick some up the other day so I loaded 600 rounds of 9MM.

I think this is the right area for my question since it does deal with the reloading room. I notice quite a few of you use the Dram Worx hopper. Is it that superior to the original one that comes with the reloaded? I know mine gets discolored in time . What else am I missing? Is it the larger size or something else like accuracy?

Just went to Sportsmen's Warehouse to buy N-320 powder. They had probably 50 bricks of the 1500 Fiocchi Small Pistol primers so I grabbed one. The register kept coming up $10.95. We finally got the manager and he said that was their price. The sticker on the shelf said $8.99 so he sold them to me at that price. He then went over and ripped off the $8.99 price tag and threw it away. He asked the clerk who failed to do their job, that was only their Black Friday price and it should have been changed that weekend. I told him I have been paying $8.99 for the past three months and he told me I was wrong, that had never been their price for them. Nobody there seems to give the same answer twice.

Back at Sportsmen’s Warehouse this morning with my wife for some fishing stuff for Christmas presents. Walked over to the primers and they were all a dollar more for 100 than they were yesterday. Up from $5.99 to $6.99 for CCI, Federal, etc. Is this a trend elsewhere? Are primers climbing again?

I’ve been on a revolver kick lately shooting my S&W 19s, my J frames and my Python. I’ve reloaded 1000 .38 Special with 148 grain wadcutters over 2.8 grains of Bullseye. Then I found 2000 of the RMR 147 grain Smiley Faces behind an empty box. I really like these over 3.5 grains in .357 Magnum cases. Very mild and incredibly accurate in my guns. One more day and I’ll have all of my Smiley Faces loaded.

After watching Ken H’s video on sighting in a handgun a while ago I made up some of these targets to try for testing new rounds. Used a NRA B-2 which has been my standard for testing rounds. Put the top of the front sight on the bottom of the V. We’ll see how they work.
I thought that was an interesting video on sighting in a handgun. I like your effort on the target. What type bullets and load are you using in .38 Special? You seem to like the Vihtavuori powders.

Working on reloading 45 ACP this morning, 3.8 grains VV N-310 with 185 SWC from MBC when the handle on my Dillon Square Deal broke. A phone call was made and a new handle is on its way. Finishing tumbling of brass picked up this week so I’ll be ready to get back to reloading when the part shows up.

I just finished loading 500 more 45 ACP rounds. I love the accuracy of 3.8 grains of N-310 pushing a 185 grain SWC from MBC. Very pleasant and accurate in all 6 of my 1911s.

I’ve used the same load with 200 grain MBC bullets with the same results, excellent. I much prefer these MBC bullets over the 200 grain Blue Bullets that I was using, very clean and easier to load on my Square Deal.