1911Forum banner

3721 - 3740 of 3793 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,722
Deprived a 30 cal ammo can of 9 mm. I think 2500 to 3000. Next wet tumble. Love the Lee app.
38 and 357 are not fun calibers to reload. Even though I have carbide dies and roll sized brass, I still go heavy on the Hornady One Shot case lube. It makes it a lot easier to load.

·
Registered
391 Posts
38 and 357 are not fun calibers to reload. Even though I have carbide dies and roll sized brass, I still go heavy on the Hornady One Shot case lube. It makes it a lot easier to load.
It seemed that I had to use a lot of One Shot and it left the brass sticky for a while. I don't like it.

I use Lee's Resizing Lubricant. I wear salon gloves and rub some of the lube between my hands and then roll a handful of cases between my hands. It dries fast. But you don't have to wait for it to dry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rolled about 300 .38 Special to feed into my new S&W 586. Went very well, my own cast projectiles trying out a new coating Hi-tek supercoat powder. So far so good.

Set up all my kit to take to the range Saturday, including the test drive of the FN FNX Tactical that I got yesterday. Should be a good range day (if the snow melts).

I'm sure there was something else I needed to do in the reloading room, just can't think of it at the moment.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Didn't load anything, since I'm all stocked up, across all the cal's we use. Just tidying up the entire room, as we (wife and I) use the reloading room as a hunting staging area (hunting on my own property). So it had become a little messy with hunting gear / clothes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Followed a tip today....made a 50/50 mix of these easily found ingredients to take the place of the pricey Dillon polish.

I'm working through the last bit of my dirty range brass and getting everything sorted and put up into containers so it'll be ready for use (.223/5.56 still needs to be deprimed & swaged...resized & trimmed).

The 50/50 blend seems to working well.

Both rumblers (my wife calls them that) are full and have another batch each to run in the morning while I sort this stuff.

Should've sorted prior to cleaning....but hot & tired after getting home from the range that day....dumped first load in there and ran while I cleaned guns and sipped iced tea.

Have used the same blend for years, with very good results as well.

Reactions: DubfromGa

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cleaned, de-primed, expanded and re-primed a pile of 45 cases. Powder, and either 185 or 200 gr projectiles, still undecided, maybe tomorrow.
IMG_0769s.jpg

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
3,971 Posts
Tom?
Really???
I've never had any problem with 38 or 357 - except when one of the wrong cases get in the mix.

All I do it half fill a coffee can with brass and spray in a blast or two of One-Shot, cover and shake well.

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts
I fixed my noisy Franklin Arsenal vibratory-cleaner - I was wondering why the heck it was so darn noisy and a closer inspection showed that 2 of the 3 bolts holding the blue bowl onto the gray lower-body had come loose. Tightened those up and she's back to purring like a kitten.

It's the little things that count - and I was wondering if my neighbors were hearing it through my garage door.
I run two tumblers (one ground walnut & the other ground corn cob) in my garage. Even with all the bolts tight they're still pretty noisy. And I also wonder what the neighbors who take their daily strolls past my house think. :)

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
I run two tumblers (one ground walnut & the other ground corn cob) in my garage.
Same here - the walnut to try and chew away any tough marks and the corn cob to give a final polish.

From time to time I'll empty one of them to throw in a few tubs of my cast bullets + powder to coat them pre- baking - much easier than shaking them around by hand and coats far better.

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts
How thoroughly do you have to clean out the tumbler from the powder coating so that it doesn't "contaminate" the brass on the next load? I've been wanting to try powder coating some of the cast bullets I bought years ago. Never thought of using a my tumbler.

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
The powder doesn't go directly into the bowl. I take some food-tubs and drop the powder/bullets in there, then stick 2 food tubs into the open cleaner bowl:

I let it buzz away for 10-15 minutes and it works just fine. I came up with this method because I could never get powder to coat the bullets very well when trying to shake (with or without plastic BBs) by hand.

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
Built some .38 Special loads using up some 150gr LTCFP bullets I was gifted. Loaded about half with a starting charge weight of Unique for the wife and step-daughter. The then loaded the other half just into the +P range, also with Unique, for me and the son-in-law. Interested is seeing if there is any noticeable difference in accuracy at 25 yards.

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
While I have not done any loading in nearly a year now, I have spent a few hours in my reloading room getting a couple of sets of old RCBS dies cleaned up to put back in service. My son wants to start reloading, so I will give him a set of RCBS 45acp and 38 special dies along with an RCBS pre Rock Chucker press. I’m giving him a small supply of LPP, a pound of powder, and enough bullets to get him started. I’ll also give him an RCBS powder dispenser and a couple of loading blocks. I’ll loan him my calipers, and he’ll have to get a scales. If he can squeeze a few hours this weekend from work, I should be able to get him going.

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
Loaded some specialty rounds, .45 Auto Rim. Used 200 gr RNFP cast bullets, Bullseye powder, and Winchester Large Pistol Primers. Charge weight was 3.5 grains and their OAL was 1.209". These should be easy shooting target loads. The intended shooters will be the wife and Step-daughter.. They should have fun with these out of my Colt Revolver.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,155 Posts
Loaded fifty rounds of 10mm on a single-stage press, because I have the time, and the components to do so!

Reactions: Old Grumpy

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
It rained yesterday afternoon, so I loaded up 500 rounds of [steel/range] 124 gr. FMJ in 9mm. Should be dry enough by this afternoon to start shooting it!

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Loaded up another 243 rounds of 124 gr FMJ. (Finished off that box of projectiles and cleared some space under the bench)

3721 - 3740 of 3793 Posts