1911Forum banner

3761 - 3780 of 3793 Posts

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
@USMM guy ,

I grabbed the Blue Dot 🔵 for both 10mm and perhaps .38 Super.

I also have some N105 for the .38 Super that I’m looking forward to working with. 125gr XTP over a healthy dose should get pretty sporty.

My first .38 Super is en route to my FFL now.

Looking forward to seeing how it runs.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Haven't finished setting up my bench....seems like every day...
....another boatload of components arrive?

Good gravy, Dub!!! You have a better stash than any store I know! I like your style- you don't buy a pound of this or that to try- you buy 8 or 16 lbs to "try out!"

I hope someday you have to move to Central TX! ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,763
Did a quick process of some 223 brass for a forum member.

Tumble clean, roll size, deprime, swage primer crimp, bump shoulder back and trim to 1.745.

I love my 1050s...

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
....another boatload of components arrive?

Good gravy, Dub!!! You have a better stash than any store I know! I like your style- you don't buy a pound of this or that to try- you buy 8 or 16 lbs to "try out!"

I hope someday you have to move to Central TX! ;)

:ROFLMAO: It ain't purty.....but it's how I'm rolling.

Just trying to finish grabbing the components that I can envision needing for the next few years.......and doing it double-time to beat Biden's "first 100 days" where he's promising world peace and 17 new genders with the proceeds coming from gun owner's tax dollars.

And......don't think I'm not mighty tempted to make the move to Central Texas......especially after Georgia's voting system/voters let me down....again. (y)

I'm looking forward the shooting & reloading ahead. 2020 was a suckfest many ways. Looking forward to things slowing down a bit for 2021. At least if Biden-Harris-Beto decide to shut everything down for Covid....I'll have something constructive to play with.

Gotta get back into rifle again. It was mighty gratifying handloading for my deer rifles and seeing some tight-shooting results. Mighty gratifying.

It's been too long since I've set up behind a scope and felt the buck of a .270 or '06. That will soon be changing,....or at least that's my plan, Lord willing.

My wife and son are already about to pull the plug on my component shopping. Son said he was tired of toting heavy boxes upstairs to the future mini-mancave. Wife is thinking I'm nuts.....of course she knew that 27 years ago when we were married.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Today....a Lee APP press arrived. It’s going on my bench out in the garage to be used as a quick de-capper for my range brass.

Have the collator kit and will be using an FW Arms decapping die.

Tell the son that's why you had him! Any scrawny kid can mow grass! 🤣

No kidding, I like your style!

Thank you kindly.

Everything is finally coming together as far as having necessary gear & components.

Just a matter of setup and enjoyment now and for the future.

Hoping to be posting more often

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
I finished loading some 45 acp 230 gr with 4.7gr of titegroup. It was just whatever was left in the primer magazine. All my 45 acp loads have done well, so I’m comfortable I’ll be able to get back to it whenever needed. Today, I’m going to get to work on changing over my 750 for 38 super which for one reason or another has been getting pushed back. (Holidays,etc). This will be my first caliber changeover, so I’m sure it’ll go slower than expected. I don’t know if I’ll be able function test anything today. I’ve got 4 toolheads/dies/3powder measures. Ultimately, I’ll need 5 to cover my hand gun calibers. At least thats the plan..;)

DubfromGa: you’re going to love shooting 38 super.

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
Ok, wasn’t that bad so far. I got everything changed over and loaded 20 test rounds of 38 super. Powder is 4.8 gr of TG, Bullet is 125 gr FMJ from Everglades which are .355. OAL is 1.270 and crimp is .382. They all case gauged fine. Test shoot and chronograph hopefully tomorrow. Btw, 38 super doesn’t fit in 9mm ammo boxes. (Didn’t think of that one)...:censored:

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Ok, wasn’t that bad so far. I got everything changed over and loaded 20 test rounds of 38 super. Powder is 4.8 gr of TG, Bullet is 125 gr FMJ from Everglades which are .355. OAL is 1.270 and crimp is .382. They all case gauged fine. Test shoot and chronograph hopefully tomorrow. Btw, 38 super doesn’t fit in 9mm ammo boxes. (Didn’t think of that one)...:censored:
Awesome !!!!

Looking forward to seeing how those go.

Good idea on having a dummy roundfor future reference.

I didn’t consider the ammo box fit, either.

Supposed to be at my FFL at 9:00am tomorrow to pick up the first .38 Super I’ve ever had.

Loading for it is a big objective.

Enthused to see how the .355 heads work for you. .355 fmj & .356 coated cast is what I am hoping to use in mine......shared stash with 9mm.

·
Premium Member
3,319 Posts
I reloaded 100 rds of .38 spcl. 148 grn wadcutters over 3 grn of Bullseye. I bought a new turret and set of dies and set them up for .38 and left the other turret set for .357.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I thought 38S liked .356 jackets. When I was looking for good 9 bullets I got a couple cases of Hornady 125gr HAPs and it turned out they were .356, when I looked again I thought I saw 38S mentioned. They didn't work that well for my 9 semis but my 8 shot 929 liked them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
After a 30 year hiatus I decided to get back to shooting and reloading my own ammo last year. Now I crank out 9mm, .380, 45acp, 45AR, .38spl, .357mag, and .41mag. I’m using fairly old equipment I acquired in the early 70’s...RCBS Jr...with RCBS dies...I did purchase new Hornady dies for .380 and 45acp/AR (replacements)....fortunately I managed to buy enough powder and 2 bricks of primers large and small pistol prior to pandemic...last night I loaded 100rds of .45acp.. here’s hoping I have enough to last through the primer shortage! I remembering how relaxing reloading was...next 100rds of 9mm and 100rds of .380...

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
Cast up some 300 Blk heavies (NOE mold) and powdercoated using Smoke's 'Super Durable Clear' - pretty interesting result:

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Traded 10k SPP I didn't need for 10k LPP I do need. Also found 8lbs of Unique on a shelf I forgot I had. With the 6lbs I picked-up yesterday at a LGS, that gives me 15lbs, which is enough to get me thru this year into the next. I have 10k lead bullets coming, so am set for the first 2-years of the next Presidential Administration.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hunting all day for brass for my new Bergara in .270 Winchester. Was finally able to buy 100 cases from an online outlet. What a state of affairs we're in. Good Grief.

Reactions: DubfromGa

·
Registered
31 Posts
I loaded up some 38 Specials today 4.2 grains of W231 under a 158 gr. LSWC @1.440 OAL

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,155 Posts
Loaded 100 rounds of .45, as I'm expecting some 9mm bullets this week (ordered two months ago . . .), and will switch the press over to 9mm when they arrive.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Organized/cleaned reloading work area...Prepped 100 9mm cases, ready for tomorrow to prime, load, and seat bullets...praying for primers in the near future before I run out!

·
Super Moderator
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,779
Loaded up some 300 Whisper subs this weekend. As I am loading for a bolt action I didnt have to stick with slow powders to make the gas system work.

Settled on Bullseye for a powder and 215gn Bergers. There is about zero info out there for this combo, but I could find a little info on using the 220 Sierra Matchking.

I tried 5.9-6.5 gns and my rifle did not blow up. No pressure signs such as ejector marks, flattened primer, difficult bolt lift, ect.

As an added bonus, it was Hollywood quiet with my Thunderbeast Dominus. I have heard suppressed 22 rimfires that made more noise.

Now to put some ammo over a chrono and check for accuracy.

3761 - 3780 of 3793 Posts