1911Forum banner
6901 - 6920 of 6963 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Do you guys still use the book to look up the right combinations, or you just remember what works and keep getting those materials? I haven’t the faintest idea what to do, when I find things out of stock, zero idea what to replace it with. I’m going back and forth from the book to the computer, looking for what is being called for.
Again thank you, I know this is like breathing for you guys, it comes naturally, I’m not finding everything the books are specifying, so I still struggle just to get stuff to the house to start…..

· Premium Member
465 Posts
I’m always researching double checking , give yourself a break this is not easy very hard to navigate my subjective opinion. It’s very rewarding hopefully you feel free to ask as we are all not major DICKS in this section . Stay patient common sense will prevail !

Reactions: Gearheadesw

· Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
Reloading manual/magazines and the internet (powder and bullet companies not www.Bubba’sBestReloadingAdvice.com). Seems best to get more than one source.

I’ve always started lower lower than where I felt I’d want to be and use ladder steps of 2/10 of a grain. Normally 10 rounds per step. Personally I don’t exceed the maximum recommended load on any of my rounds. My two standard loads are 1/10th below max but are still very nice comfortable rounds to shoot with no pressure signs at all and those loads certainly started lower with ladder steps and additional testing.

Never take forum suggestions of loads as gospel, always verify. I do have reloading friends on our forum that although I trust 100%, their loads would still get a ladder test.

My go to guy for bullets is going to close shop. While testing new bullets I will also use ladder steps for testing but more for determining accuracy.

Good luck, it is not that difficult to stay safe and make far better ammo than you can buy for a much better price but while starting out it can be rather confusing and unnerving.

· Premium Member
465 Posts
Reloading manual/magazines and the internet (powder and bullet companies not www.Bubba’sBestReloadingAdvice.com). Seems best to get more than one source.

I’ve always started lower lower than where I felt I’d want to be and use ladder steps of 2/10 of a grain. Normally 10 rounds per step. Personally I don’t exceed the maximum recommended load on any of my rounds. My two standard loads are 1/10th below max but are still very nice comfortable rounds to shoot with no pressure signs at all and those loads certainly started lower with ladder steps and additional testing.

Never take forum suggestions of loads as gospel, always verify. I do have reloading friends on our forum that although I trust 100%, their loads would still get a ladder test.

My go to guy for bullets is going to close shop. While testing new bullets I will also use ladder steps for testing but more for determining accuracy.

Good luck, it is not that difficult to stay safe and make far better ammo than you can buy for a much better price but while starting out it can be rather confusing and unnerving.
Could not find bubba's thank you in advance

· Registered
SPP forever!
4,688 Posts
Do you guys still use the book to look up the right combinations, or you just remember what works and keep getting those materials? I haven’t the faintest idea what to do, when I find things out of stock, zero idea what to replace it with. I’m going back and forth from the book to the computer, looking for what is being called for.
Again thank you, I know this is like breathing for you guys, it comes naturally, I’m not finding everything the books are specifying, so I still struggle just to get stuff to the house to start…..
I can't remember every load I ever tested, so yes: the book, your log-book and labels. Spreadsheets. Hell, I can't remember what I loaded last week - so I went and checked the stickit I left inside the lid of the box.

(Now, all I've got is like 20 more with 2 or 3 powders and 2 bullet types to load THIS week... And then the Longshot arrives next week and I have to add THOSE as well - oh, and then the new bullets due as well)

· Registered
8,188 Posts
Keep asking questions... it will make you a better and safer loader.

I look up data before I load every time even if I loaded the same ammo yesterday. My 9mm staple range load is 5.4gr Silhouette with 124gr. fmj- i've loaded thousands upon thousands of them. I still look at the data before I pour the powder into the hopper.... why? Force of habit;no one ever got hurt by double or triple checking data.

And if I load something new or even change the charge weight up, I check at least 3 sources. If there is a conflict, I check a 4th and or 5th.

If you can't find "your" powder, ask what others use in a similar load and ask why- the why can be very important to your choice.

· Registered
SPP forever!
4,688 Posts
And, that hopper? The dump? Every time you start a session you want to drop some powder and verify the load on the scale.

Why? Because powders vary, sessions vary, you might be switching dies, and you can bump the settings anyway. Do NOT - period - leave powder in the hopper after the session: our powders can eat the plastics or crack them. Yoiu might be able to get away with "I'm going to bed and will start again tomorrow" -- but no more than that.

(there is an exception in hoppers, but you are not there yet so don't worry about it)

Oh. Heh - don't pick up the powder dump by the hopper when it's full, either. (don't ask me how I know this, ok - it's just.. dumb)

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Well it's not actually today but today and yesterday, I sized and cleaned that bucket of brass I roll sized and looked for rocks. Happy to say I didn't break or bend one decapping pin. So now I have ~8K more 9's to sort. I sort for three different headstamps that I reload and I hate the sorting the most. This batch I didn't find much 380 but did find a bunch of 38 super. I don't sift out the 380s but always catch them and the supers while sizing, they just feel different.

Food Ingredient Spice Insect Cuisine

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,589 Posts
Loaded twenty rounds of 9mm with small rifle primers; couldn't see leaving the last twenty bullets in the tray.
I'd done it before, when primers were scarce about ten years ago.
The box of Winchester SRPs has a price tag of $13.50 on it . . . $13.50 per THOUSAND, for those with short memories or are new to handloading!

Reactions: flechero

· Registered
SPP forever!
4,688 Posts
Last night I got the 165gr 400cb test-loads done, 4 powders, 20rd. Midway should have the Longshot here tomorrow (which means 2x5 longshot loads to do as well). Then the 140's are due Friday, and that means all 5 powders need their 5rd set.

Also due tomorrow is a Hogue stock for the GSA Mauser, so I tore that down today and addressed that weird pimple-like rust with a shop-towel and Kroils for about an hour. Then I went to tearing down that miserable floorplate, (I hate the mauser floorplate). I've an extended release-pin due, and managed to get it apart - but I may need to visit a friend with a vise, to get the stupid release-button out, clip the spring a little, and introduce the new release-button.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
markm, just curious as to which three head stamps you sort for? The three to reload or the three to discard?
It's not scientific but for 9's I use S&B brass for IDPA and Blazer for 9 Major and Win for my PCC's. But for the most part it's to keep me from getting them mixed up. A major load in my other guns would be a not so great surprise. But I long for they days of old when you just found 3-4 headstamps now there's a bajillion of them and I have buckets full of mixed everything.

· Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
Just curious, for me my good (favorite) reloads are in Federal, Blazer and Winchester. R&P’s can be used when I don’t care if I can pick them up or not and the rest go in my misc. 5 gallon bucket to be used to leave on the ground. I started collecting 9mm brass long before I started shooting them again and most likely have a lifetime supply of brass, 20-30 thousand cases.

I’ve been a brass rat for 50 years. :)

· Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
Just received my test order of 250 9mm 125gr TC bullets from Blue Bullets. Going to get some test bullets made up this afternoon.

Still no changes on Precision Bullets web page and I emailed Dave on Sunday and have not received a response back.

We will see how the Blue Bullets run next week.

Since I typed this and never hit send, I’ll add a bit more before I do. On a side note I found a text message that I typed to my daughter two days ago and never hit send, could be why I did not get a reply.

Decided that since I have loaded quite a few different 124/125 gr 9mm bullets that I would just make up 25 @ 4.1 gr of N-320 and 25 @ 4.2 gr. Both @ 1.130 which is from the date from Blue Bullets. Every charge was weighed and my new electronic scale is making me even worse than I was before. All are either 4.10 or 4.20. My OAL seemed just a little bit more consistent with these than Dave’s but I attribute that to some variance in the moly coating on the flat point. These are more of a truncated round point. My go to load is 4.2 and I don’t really care for 4.1, just don’t like the feel of it when shooting them.

They loaded very easily and with the same flare that I always use. Just a slight bit of blue on my fingers after loading these and most likely,less than with the moly coated Precision Bullets. I’d still love to but another 7,000 from Dave before he closes down but kind of doubt that will happen.

We’ll see how they shoot next week and I may do a test varying the OAL slightly but @ 1.130 they look very good. I loaded Precisions @ 1.140.

I also love the shorter DramWorx powder hopper. For some reason that I do not recall, I had been using my Redding baffle in my old one. Used the DramWorx in this shorter one. I’m not getting the hang ups that I was getting with the Redding baffle (rod of powder stuck when dropping a charge) and am getting very consistent loads. Best results ever with reloading with N-320.

Rectangle Font Electric blue Pattern Fashion accessory

· Super Moderator
8,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,915 ·
I ordered some 3D printed Dillon locating button plastic thingies for my 1100 a while back. Got them installed and then ran a bunch of ammo through to see how they would work. As expected they are flawless and prevented powder from slinging out of the case between stations. The station #5 (powder station) tab is offset to stay out of the way of the spring and also makes it easier to remove which is a nice touch. Right now they are only avail for the #3 button (223/9mm) but I am guessing he could make more for calibers close to them.

I also bought a primer station locater thingie. This one has a magnet imbedded in it. It holds it in place and you dont have to use a screw to adjust it. Just put it where you want and it stays put. Much better and easier than the OEM plastic slider or wire.

1791Crafts - Etsy

· Super Moderator
8,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,918 ·
Kent might I ask where you ordered the blue inserts and have any contact info such as a website?

· Super Moderator
17,928 Posts

· Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
Was working on my test bullets of the 9mm Blue Bullets that I received this week when I got an email from Precision Bullets that he had a small amount of 9mm 125 gr FP’s in stock. Quickly ordered 2 cases and so I’ll have 7,000 of those in hand next week. Yippie skippie! With what I have loaded I’ll be good for at least two years and then I’ll worry about switching bullets.

6901 - 6920 of 6963 Posts