1911Forum banner

101 - 120 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
I worked at a nuclear weapons factory long ago. They knew about proper masks.

I once spray painted the interior of my house and I wore what masks I found at the hardware store that indicated on the packaging that they were suitable for the task. While my face collected fine paint particles, the space under the mask didn't show much for paint, so I thought the masks worked. Until I blew my nose.

The various masks out there in the wild leak like sieves. A goodly number of them are incorrectly worn, to boot. There is no proper seal, so they only offer proof of conformity, no proof of effectiveness.

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
Let’s also add that no one is wearing eye protection either.
That would be just too much of an inconvenience.
Absorbing the virus through the eyes counts too, or will there be a “study” that comes out that says otherwise? Doctors moving the goal posts to suit the narrative.....

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
The only good thing these masks do is prevent the spread at distance of germs if the wearer sneezes. But people can do the same while sneezing into their elbow, a common practice. They do not filter viruses, in or out.

The downside of all masks is that they restrict intake of oxygen, and have you rebreathing the air you have exhaled--high in CO2 and germs. Especially if you just sneezed! The warm environment the mask provides to germs is an excellent incubator for them.

The downsides vastly outweigh the slight upside.
Good points. Even the people that have something over their faces 90% have them down below their nostrils.

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
Bertha needs to be quietly removed out the back door and sent to a rubber room.
The realism here though, is that there are people that will take this seriously! Calling the cops on your neighbor for coughing?
Where exactly is a person supposed to quarantine if you can’t cough in your own home? Perhaps the shed?
I guess, there’s a couple folks on another Covid thread that will comply “because they were told to”. This is beyond stupid. When people finally figure out “hey wait a minute”, it will only be then that they begin to question the rest of the garbage. This is a dumb as driving your car with a mask on......anyone seen that yet?? That’s right......you’re safe now!! :barf:

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
For four weeks I have been able to go into my grocery store and pet supply store without a mask on, unchallenged. This was despite two prominent signs at the front door of the grocery store saying masks were required per the county order.

Yesterday I went into both stores, and was accosted by employees who said I had to wear a mask. How "coincidental". At the grocery store, there was a nice older lady who was assigned as The Enforcer. (I was polite to her BTW.) She clearly was uncomfortable in the role, and appreciated my lack of belligerence. I did comply, but with polite objections that all this is pointless.

This is how it works, slowly turning up the pressure. I have no doubt that this is coordinated county-wide.

Walmart has only about 35% of its stores in areas that require masks, but they have gone with full mask requirement nationwide. The same outfit that wants to scrutinize your receipt at the exit door before you are allowed to leave the store. (I never comply--4th Amendment, unreasonable search, no probable cause.) Their Mask Enforcers at the front door have nice intimidating black shirts on. I will only go into a Walmart now if there is some bona fide emergency and they are the only choice. F them.

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
:biglaugh: But you see...its working....everyone is scared and complying with the rule of the black shirts (is that racist?).
Everyone is now wearing masks and has been for a while. Businesses have been shut down again and all's well. There hasn't been a positive covid case in weeks.
WHAT?? THE NUMBERS SAY WHAT?? HOW CAN THERE POSSIBLY BE AN UNCONTROLLABLE NUMBER OF CASES??? THE GUY ON THE TV PROMISED EVERYTHING WOULD BE OK......WAAAAAAA!!!!:barf:

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
What a perfect analogy. Band-aid, feel-good gun control measures and band-aid, feel good Covid 19 procedures. According to the Stanford University study and the U of Alabama study, the masks that people are wearing are all too porous to contain Covid's microscopic particles, those particles that infect and spread. Even the Gov't mandated N-95 masks will only contain/block a very small percentage of the virus.

Unless you're an experienced surgeon, and exceptionally familiar with the relationship between hand washing. sterilizing equipment, and facial mask protocols, the civilian populace's wearing of masks does nothing to protect anyone from anything. It's a feel-good, BS, statement of compliance. Somebody's dirty old, cloth mask that they've been wearing for a week is not protecting anyone from anything, and if anything, is less sterile than not wearing a mask. It may look like one is considerate of others, but that cloth mask is not blocking or doing anything to contain Covid 19. It works about as well as defunding your Police department to contain crime and restore law and order.
Ding ding! Winner, I bought 6 of these when this started and a chem shower. Didn't ever get bad enough kill rate wise to go through the hassle of real decon practices so they have been sitting.

https://www.mirasafety.com/collections/frontpage/products/cm-6m-tactical-gas-mask

However with a mandate here now I'm going to wear them instead of the jokes most people use that stop nothing in any direction. Might as well use something that works and inspires terror in people who don't understand how filters work as to why you are wearing such an "extreme" mask. Well because it's more comfortable and actually works......plus I can use a rifle with it in fairly easy and it plays nice with 37mm CS gas grenades too. Not that I have those.....

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
In addition, put on one of those disposable painters onesies, shoe protectors and add a couple scuba tanks. Now, walk around your local WalMart. It may finally get through to some of these idiots that a bandana is not going to stop something that is .12 microns!

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
In addition, put on one of those disposable painters onesies, shoe protectors and add a couple scuba tanks. Now, walk around your local WalMart. It may finally get through to some of these idiots that a bandana is not going to stop something that is .12 microns!
Did that once minus the tanks when this started, Costco manager freaked out and asked me what I was doing!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Saw a meme that read “Be honest. Are you wearing a mask because you did the research and crunched the data and concluded a mask is the best way to stop the spread of COVID-19? Or are you really wearing it because some government person told you to? And are you going to stop wearing a mask only when a government person tells you to?”

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
It should have added: And do you rip it off as soon as you think no one is watching?
Do you take it off when you look around you, and realize that everyone else has kind of let theirs slip down?
Of course you do....deep down you realize it is a futile endeavor, but, you are a sheep and will do what others around you are doing.
If you are one of those that wear a mask while driving, find the nearest bridge and drive off of it!

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
When I am forced to wear a mask, I work my jaw so that it slips down below my nose so I can breathe normally.

Prediction: the next level will be to require us to wear gloves, esp. in grocery stores. You heard it here first.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
A majority of clueless weenies--I'm sorry, low-information cowardly sheeple--support a mask mandate punishable by fines or jail time. Meanwhile, not ironically at all, hardened violent criminals are being let out of prison due to the risk of catching the very non-deadly kung flu virus.

Gosh, this is a fun year! :biglaugh: :bawling:

Interesting that as soon as fear enters into the mix, the Constitution is out the window.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Seems to me that wearing masks is a way to "decrease the spread", more so than a way to "protect yourself". Masks are not created equally - do a search for "Tom Binh" masks, as suggested by Wired Magazine:
https://www.tombihn.com/collections/facemasks/products/3layermask?variant=32525238960191
Masks with fine cloth, in three layers, will greatly reduce (not eliminate) what particles get through, lessening the chance of your giving the disease to someone else.
Wearing a good mask will reduce your own chances of catching the virus from others, especially so if you follow all the rules, including "social distancing".

I'm living across the bay from Miami, which may be the current epicenter. Had Miami not opened so quickly, we might be more like New York City now, but it's too late for that.

If people don't comply, and follow the regulations, meaning the virus will continue to get worse, in a short period of time we'll be back on "lockdown", forced to stay at home other than going food shopping or to the doctor's.

Other parts of the world have gotten the virus much more under control. Because in the USA people don't want to be forced to act safer, the virus is getting out of control. Seems to me we're leaving the authorities no choice other than to shut things down, resulting in even more people being out of work, businesses shutting the doors permanently, and people once again being stuck at home, with not much to do. If everyone complied with the intent of the regulations, Miami's Covid-19 situation would follow what happened in New York, and the city could be re-opened (slowly).

However inconvenient or distasteful it may be to some to have to wear a mask, the result of not doing so is likely to be FAR worse, not to mention how many more people will die needlessly.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
Seems to me that wearing masks is a way to "decrease the spread", more so than a way to "protect yourself". Masks are not created equally - do a search for "Tom Binh" masks, as suggested by Wired Magazine:
https://www.tombihn.com/collections/facemasks/products/3layermask?variant=32525238960191
Masks with fine cloth, in three layers, will greatly reduce (not eliminate) what particles get through, lessening the chance of your giving the disease to someone else.
Wearing a good mask will reduce your own chances of catching the virus from others, especially so if you follow all the rules, including "social distancing".

I'm living across the bay from Miami, which may be the current epicenter. Had Miami not opened so quickly, we might be more like New York City now, but it's too late for that.

If people don't comply, and follow the regulations, meaning the virus will continue to get worse, in a short period of time we'll be back on "lockdown", forced to stay at home other than going food shopping or to the doctor's.

Other parts of the world have gotten the virus much more under control. Because in the USA people don't want to be forced to act safer, the virus is getting out of control. Seems to me we're leaving the authorities no choice other than to shut things down, resulting in even more people being out of work, businesses shutting the doors permanently, and people once again being stuck at home, with not much to do. If everyone complied with the intent of the regulations, Miami's Covid-19 situation would follow what happened in New York, and the city could be re-opened (slowly).

However inconvenient or distasteful it may be to some to have to wear a mask, the result of not doing so is likely to be FAR worse, not to mention how many more people will die needlessly.
“Lockdown”, as in saving virus fuel for the election? Just because you hide from it today does not mean it will go away. I will not live the rest of my days behind a mask. People need to build up an immunity or live in isolation. What’s that? A COVID shot? Oh, you mean the one thAt comes out after the election...

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you ignore the politics, the goal is to slow down the spread. One person infects several, and each of those infect several more, and we get the exponential curve. The goal is to slow down the spread, so it's not infecting new people at a rate that overwhelms our hospital's ability to care for them

I'm involved with people in India who are fighting the same issues. They are trying to get the spread slowed down, to some minimal level, and ideally, if one person DOES get the virus, they quarantine the people around the sick individual, to cut off the spread at the source.

Mathematically, there are two ways to achieve this. Masks and social distancing would be enough, if everyone complied. If for whatever reason the overwhelming majority of people don't comply, what follows is a lockdown, to physically limit the spread.

Which brings me back to Miami, where the authorities opened up the state/city before meeting the requirements that were given to open it up slowly, only after the virus got controlled better, which is also what happened in New York. Miami Beach has a curfew, as I recall 10pm, and anyone walking around outside without a mask gets a fine, starting at either $50 or $100 for the first offense, and going upwards. The next step, if things get worse, is another "stay at home" order, which would be devastating to so many businesses, that may close their doors forever.

As to the virus going away, I think most people agree that's not going to happen, until when/if we get a vaccine. In the meantime, to reduce the number of deaths, and cut down on the spread, and keep hospital facilities from overflowing, the only option is to "flatten the curve".

As to a "covid shot", at the beginning of this crisis, as I recall, the doctors estimated that might happen in two years - might. It might take three, or we might have one in half a year. Different types of vaccines are being developed, and they all need lots of testing to be sure they work as intended, and are safe for people to get.

It's like Smallpox in India - once an effective vaccine was developed, it eliminated Smallpox.

Anyway, just my opinion, from being involved with doctors and organizations working on this. From my own point of view, the chart I linked to above is one comparison of different activities, and how safe/dangerous they are. That chart assumes people are already social distancing, and wearing a mask.

It felt silly at first, but when I go to the outdoor range three times a week, if anyone else is there, I'm wearing what I consider to be a very good mask. More and more of the other shooters (but not all) are doing the same. On the few occasions when a lot of people show up, I go home.

101 - 120 of 180 Posts