1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a leather holster get wet today while wrestling with my fishing boat in bad weather. I'm fine, boat's fine, and the gun is oiled and ready. I'm not so sure what is best for the leather. It's dry now but would like to know what the best options would be in the future. Thanks

·
Registered
624 Posts
Goldmatch, Anytime a holster gets wet, the best thing is to let it dry out naturally. No heat, and don't put it in the sun to speed up the drying time. If the holster has lost it's shape, before it dries out you can wrap the gun in plastic wrap, and re-shape the leather with your hands to get it back to where it fits properly. Leave the wrapped gun in the holster for a few hours, and then remove it, and let the holster completely dry before using it again. When it's dry you can buff the finish with a good paste wax like Johnsons, or any good neutral shoe polish.
Lou

------------------
Alessi Holsters, Inc.
You'll never know it's there, until you need it.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Lou, It's great to get help from an authority on the subject! fortunately it did not lose its shape and I let it dry slow. Thanks again!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Buy a Kydex holder from Uncle Mike's or Blade Tech. It is cheaper than a quality leather holster and does not mind getting wet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a kydex for my 1911, and I like the functionality, but you gotta admit they're ugly. A nice leather rig just has personality that plastic couldn't hope for. A good 1911 should have a nice leather holster. A glock, on the other hand, well, plastic deserves plastic.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by AKM:
I have a kydex for my 1911, and I like the functionality, but you gotta admit they're ugly. A nice leather rig just has personality that plastic couldn't hope for. A good 1911 should have a nice leather holster. A glock, on the other hand, well, plastic deserves plastic.
Absolutely... I just LOVE the smell of Dead Horse & Cow

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by jaydee:
Absolutely... I just LOVE the smell of Dead Horse & Cow
It's even better wet. I will not put my 1911 in plastic. thanks folks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hmmm,,,,,,,,

plastic gun in leather holster,,,,steel gun in plastic holster.

Ah, the options are never ending.

Give me leather. Yes, its more expensive, but something just feels right about leather. Maybe its because I played baseball for a number of years and really appreciate a quality leather glove,,,,yada yada yada.

Anyway, like I said, leather just feels right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts