1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not shopped for a gun belt before and would like to here if there is anything to stay away from are if there are any must have features. thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
goldmatch-

Two things to look for in a gun belt: thick and wide. I have two decent ones. One made by Alfonso's of Hollywood and one by Mitch Rosen. They're both good for what they do, which is hold up a holstered weapon and mag pouch. You definitely want a belt specifically designed for this task. Thin everyday belts are not up to the task of holding up ol' big mouth.

The hardest thing, for me, is finding trousers with sufficiently wide belt loops. Denim jeans have wide enough belt loops; but, who wants to wear jeans all day, every day? So I have to "try on" my ccw rig with the pants when I go pants shopping. I can't imagine what the folks that watch the "hidden camera" tapes must think...

------------------
"So don't forget-with enough determination you can win even when you appear to be losing-just keep shooting!"
-Bill Jordan, from No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I don't know if the prices are still current but Wilson Combat lists a sharkskin belt for like $90. I'd give it a good, hard looksee.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
A gun belt doesn't have to be thick to work...some makers, like Delfatti, use reinforcemnt where the holster attaches to the belt....as long as the belt doesn't collapse, it should work..too thick can be hard to thread through some jeans and won't cinch up right....

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> goldmatch45, check out www.akerleather.com, for a reinforced belt at a good price. It is leather on the outside, pigskin suede, on the inside, a polymeyer liner in between.
----------------------
Raspy

·
Registered
218 Posts
I wore a Galco belt for about three years until it finally got a tad too weak to support a Gov't Model. Now, I am using a Ken Null belt, which has reinforcement in it for support. Any decent holster manufacturer also makes belts for his holsters. The examples listed in the replies above a good place to start shopping around. As stated, if you are wearing trousers with smaller belt loops, you may have a problem so look for something made to fit your needs. It needs to support your rig as you carry it daily.

·
Registered
13 Posts
goldmatch,

I believe a holster and a belt are an inseparable pair. That is why most of the
holsters have 1 1/4 , 1 1/2, 1 3/4 belt width selection. If you already have a holster, buy a belt with a matching width.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
One of the most important things to consider in your selection will be your daily wardrobe. I wear a suit most every day, so having a 1 1/2" belt with a wide buckle would not only look out of place-it may also suggest the owner needs this belt to support a firearm. I own a couple of Mitch Rosen belts, and one belt from F.I.S.T. Holsters. All of them are attractive (but plain)looking 1 1/4" belts that will do the job without identifying me as someone carrying concealed. In fact, if I have one complaint with the current choice of dress belts available, it's that my current list of makers don't offer one with a little more style-something that doesn't look quite so plain. Good luck, geegee

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the great info guys.
GOD BLESS AMERICA

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Everybody seems to think thick and wide, but as long as it is stiff enough to hold your gun up easily, you'll be fine. The idea is that it is stiff enough that you don't have to cinch it down to hold your gun in the proper position. That said, any top notch holster maker usually has a good belt to go with.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I found a double thick, laminated ballstic nylon belt in 1 1/2" width. It's stiffer than any leather I've seen. The buckle is a heavy steel forging "cinch" type that allows infinite tension adjustment. It's designed for tactical use. About $25

Otherwise I have a thick, 1 1/2" leather, single thickness that is used by the LAPD. A contract over-run from the supplier. I think maybe $30.

Both work fine for everyday carry. I carry openly or IWB. For IWB, you need to make sure your pants waist fits you and the gun. Otherwise you're going to feel "stuffed" all day.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Originally posted by Doug 29:
Just look for the name! "MILT SPARKS". No need to even think.
Amen to that! Been wearing mine ever since my order came in... well, not in the shower but other than that

Mac

1 - 16 of 16 Posts