1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of this setup for the AR-15 I'm planning on purchasing in the near future?:

1. Forged anodized aluminum standard .223/5.56 lower
2. M3 flattop upper, 1:9 twist 20" barrel, M2 style stock

Should run me about 120 for the lower, then 550 for the complete upper/stocks.

Also, What's a good scope for under 120 bucks?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
A scope on an AR? In the early 70's we qualified out to 400 meters with open sights. Seems kinda silly to me on a non-sniper combat weapon!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Seedster, whats the intended purpose of the rifle, such as, static target shooting, hunting or SHTF rifle ect...without knowing that it's hard to give you an honest reply.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Just get a complete gun by ADS from Grant @ G&R tactical..it will cost about the same and you'll get a better quality AR

·
Registered
3,909 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ill second the ADS from Grant. GREAT guy to deal with.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Regarding scopes, your price point doesn't give you many options for new, quality glass. Even the variable imports now sold by Leupold and Burris will start between $175-$200. My 16" flat-top (a walking varmint rifle) wears a Burris 3-9x Fullfield II, with their BDC reticle, that cost $180 a couple of years ago. Even though it's assembled overseas, the glass is surprisingly good.

Of course, if you are willing to consider older/used American-made glass (Weaver, Redfield, Leupold, Burris. etc.), you can occasionally find some good deals. Keep an eye out at gun stores, gun shows, pawn shops, etc.

·
Banned
2,125 Posts
$500.00 Ar ?

Greetings and Welcome to a truly great site!

I would have to go along with all the posters who recommended G&R(Grant).I plan on dealing with his business on any future AR purchases.He is very knowledgeable about this platform.Remember,the AR is a modular platform.
If you get good quality,basic parts(IE;Lower receiver, etc)you can always upgrade.His ADS product is a great bargain.Also,CMMG has "bargain bin"rifles.
These have received good reviews on different AR dedicated web sites.
Good luck,and have fun shoping!
DAT85

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'd go with a 1:8 or 1:7 twist for heavier bullets if you are building yourself, chrome lined chamber and bore are nice to have too.

What kind of lower are you planning on buying for $120 with trigger group and stock? You will get what you pay for.

Do you mean A3 and A2 when referring M3, and M2?

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
$120 should get you a stripped lower...you still have to put all the parts in.

If you're looking to stay around $700 check AR15.com in the Equipment Exchange and you can get a whole factory rifle.

I wouldn't bother with a scope on an AR unless it's set up for long-range varmint hunting. If you don't want iron sights then go with a good red-dot optic,but that'll set you back a couple hundred more dollars.

·
Registered
24,179 Posts
Scoping an AR

Wether or not I would scope an AR in the first place would be dependant on what my primary use for the gun would be. I would not waste a whole lot of time trying to find a good scope for less than 120.00 dollars though. If you do find one please be sure to let the rest of us know about it.

My two cents :rock:

·
Registered
258 Posts
A scope on an AR? In the early 70's we qualified out to 400 meters with open sights. Seems kinda silly to me on a non-sniper combat weapon!
Installing scopes on AR-15s is extremely common. It's a very accurate rifle, why not take full advantage of it? Scopes aren't solely for sniper rifles.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Installing scopes on AR-15s is extremely common. It's a very accurate rifle, why not take full advantage of it? Scopes aren't solely for sniper rifles.
Agreed. I have to qualify to 500 meters every year with irons...but the Marine Corps still gives me an ACOG to put on my M16A4, and I still keep a ACOG on my own AR. Under a high-stress situation, scopes do nothing but increase the likelihood of obtaining hits. Plus, scopes increase your ability to safely and accurately identify targets. Iron sights still have a place, but scopes can be a very advantageous tool to have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts