1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a corollary to my question about the best blueing protector, what's the best (safest) solvent/cleaner to use on a blued Baer pistol? All of my other pistols are either stainless or have some sort of coating (parkerizing, Armor-Tuff, Baer Coat), so I don't have any experience in maintaining a blued finish. Normally I use Tetra Copper Solvent (I shoot FMJ ammo) to clean the residue not only from the barrel, but from the slide rails, chamber, breech face, etc. followed by a slight application of Wilson's Ultima Lube on the appropriate wear points. What do you use to clean your blued Baers? Do you think Tetra may be too rough on the blueing? Do you know what Baer recommends or what has worked for other blued Baer owners in the past? I do know the blueing will wear and I look forward to the pistol gaining some character -- I just want to make sure I don't accelerate the process incorrectly.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ivanhoe,
Baer uses Break-Free to lubricate their blued pistols before they send them out. You can also use it to clean and it will protect the bluing. I have used it since the 80's on all my pistols without problems.
It is the best I have found.

------------------

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
Ditto on the Brake Free again

------------------
Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, BreakFree recently changed their formula. The new stuff is marked "Armor Holdings" and isn't made in California anymore. It has a completely different smell and (according to some) doesn't clean as well. When I heard of this, I rushed out and bought every single container of the old stuff from any source I could find regardless of bottle size. I have a bunch!

Is it true? Does the new formula suck that badly?

Callahan

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hoppes #9 or shooters choice.
For lube I like the militec 1.
The Break free is great also and I do use that as well.

Hey Callahan,
If what you say is true, I think I will go out tommorow and pick up much as I can get too!!!!

Ybbeat!

[This message has been edited by ybbeat (edited 10-16-2001).]

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes in fact CLP has changed the formula. If you remember CLP (old) would seperate if it set up for any lenght of time. The new stuff has no sediments at all, completely clear and it sucks. I know my company just cleaned about 125+ m16s using the new stuff. Terrible.

mark
ft bragg

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mark,
Is the bottle different? What is the best way to differentiate between the two? I would like the grab some more of the old stuff while it is still out there without grabing the new crap!

Ybbeat

·
Registered
188 Posts
ybbeat,
the only thing i can tell you is that the olde type would seperate, with a milky white substrata at the bottom. of course having to purchase clp in the black containers is a draw back. however you may be able to use a straw or syringe to take a sample from the bottom of the container.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts