1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was originally looking for a 1911 in the $800 range. A S&W1911, Springfield Loaded and Colt XSE fit that range (+ or -).

If I move up between $1000 and say $1500, what should I expect? Better parts? Better fit? Anything else?

Recommendations?

·
Registered
14 Posts
What to expect? Well, once you've justified the $1500 price range to yourself you can expect the desire to move up to the $2500 range and from there to the $5k price range.

*sigh*

Are you a Saturn or a Porsche type of guy? Timex or Breitling? They all get the job done, they'll just feel a little different. In the end, only you know what that difference in "feel" (I'm including aesthetics and emotion here) is worth to you.

Figuring out what you want is maybe the funnest part. Take your time and enjoy the journey.

-R.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
going up in the price range you should expect the highest quality parts, you should expect to see a product of great craftsmanship, and attention to details.

the higher end ones use " better" parts, as in the type of material they use for the smaller parts.

im one of those guys who would rather have a 500 dollar 1911 then buy one of the 1500 dollar ones.. i can change the trigger, change the sights and ive got to me what is about the perfect 1911, if i even do that...

the higher priced ones come with things that you may think are " handy" or more " user friendly" and thats great, a lot of people like those extras and thats who the market is for.

if i was going to spend 1000 dollars on a 1911 it would either A. have to be built the way i want it, or B. be an old colt that is a true piece of history.

chances are ill get B before i get A.

the higher end 1911's are great, but before you buy one do some research, ask some questions so that YOU will know what your spending your money on, instead of just thinking " more expensive has to be better".

i think at this point if i was going to get a high end one, i would get the springfield professional, because i like the way it looks ( no front serrations!) but even then i would take the extended mag well off of it.

good luck to ya,

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input.

I've been reading a lot. Seems reliability is one of the expectations by paying more. Some have had great experiences with lower priced 1911's while others have had problems. With the features I'm looking for a SA Loaded or S&W 1911 appear meet my minimum requirements. But, an SA TRP or STI Trojan look tempting too.

·
Registered
510 Posts
At that price range you can expect more accessories- that's about it. For $800 you are going to get a fine 1911. One that is reliable and fun to shoot is easily obtainable in that range.

The 1000-1500 dollar range is basically what you have at 800- but with added things like : night sights, front strap treatment, and maybe a better finish. I think springfield is the one exception- their TRP at ~1100 has a much better fit than a loaded. Is it worth it? That's your call. Many people are happy with the less expensive loaded.

Now- in the $2K range- that's where you see the significant attention to detail and small parts quality.

Personally- I've been very happy with basic Colt 1991s (6-7 hundred), Colt series 70 (8-900) springfield loaded (7-800) and the kimber warrior (1100). As much as I like the warrior- I don't think it's worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
672 Posts
What do you get when you move up in price range?

Unfortunately, in some cases, not much. Fit and Finish are two of the biggies. Reliability should rank way up there. But for the most part, unless it's a classic gun, it's just bells and whistles.

It will depend a lot on what you want to do with the gun. The price range between a good shooter and a really nice looking 'safe queen' can be pretty big.

Personally, I bought a SA milspec and had one of our local gunsmiths smooth the action for me. Didn't lighten it, just smoothed it. I replaced the grips with some hard rubber ones and it is my carry gun that I rely on. I bought the gun 3 years ago and have about $600 in it. But it's just a plain Jane shooter.

As one of the posters above said, find what you want then work on the price.

FWIW

dj

·
Registered
498 Posts
As the others have said, at $800 you'll be getting a pretty solid shooter with everything you really NEED. Most of the time when you step up in the $1500/2000 range, you're getting more hand fitting and better parts. USUALLY this means more reliability but I know in the case of some manufacturers, they'll tell you not to expect reliability until you've 'broken it in' for between 200 and 500 rounds. In other words, that new expensive pistol isn't ready to go out of the box.

The better parts in some cases is more a mental thing than a genuine performance issue. I know everybody rags on MIM parts as an example, but realisticaly, if these parts were failing in any significant amounts, the manufacturers wouldn't use them. I know that Springfield with their lifetime warrenty sure as heck wouldn't.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the input, I think I'll focus on the SA Loaded, S&W 1911 and Colt XSE and figure out which one from there.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
The three you are considering are all solid weapons in their respective price range. I have multiple versions of two of the three mentioned.....SA Loaded and S&W 1911. Colt's were also in the herd but not the XSE.

But, the SA TRP (both my son and I own one) is one of the best buys for the money out there. One fine gun and Springer backs up their stuff with one of the best warranties and service department going. Workmanship was just flat out better that gun compared to my lower priced (but still good) weapons.

If at all possible....handle each and compare how they feel in hand.

Good luck to you and let us know what you decide on. :rock:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
TXgolfer,

If you are thinking about spending $1,500,, I would look for a Les Baer Premier II. You should be able to pick one up for around that price and it will be flawless right out of the cardboard box. Call McBrides Gun Shop in Austin, they usually have a Baer or two in stock. I had a buddy sell me one at his cost, $1,299. It is a great entry level "custom" 1911.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
better finish, sights and some options. I have two mil specs a chucky D and a rock river. The rock river is a step above in fit finish and accuracy. For self defense theyre all reliable and accurate. My favorite is the GI mil spec. With updated sights and trigger say 150 bucks over the four hundred dollar purchase price its the go to. I will never buy a custom or semi custom pistol again.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
There are so many opinions based on so many different experiences that it seems impossible to give you a solid answer.

Moving to the near 2000 plus range and up you should expect no MIM issues (whatever issues you feel about MIM), nicer fitting, no trigger creep, etc, but there's really no guarantee. I've spent between $700 to $3500 on different 1911's. Whenever I get one, I hope it's perfect, but I don't get expect it. While some folks feel you should get a perfect one if it's expensive, and I won't argue with them, the fact is you can get one that needs a little adjusting, a trigger job, etc, depending on your expectations and/or knowledge of what you think/want in a 1911.

You can and should do your homework to help you decide, but probably the best advice I can give you is that if you brace yourself for some possible problems on your journey to the 1911(s) you want then it makes the trip a little easier.

My 2 best purchases as far as everything working like I wanted it was a used Les Baer TRS for around $1350 and a Nighthawk 10-8 for a good bit more. I've had some in the $2300 price range that needed work and some around $900 that didn't.

Happy 1911 shopping :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
$1500

I would drop $700 on a Colt 1991A1 - then drop the remaining $800 at Springfield's Custom Shop or Mars Armaments or whatever, getting the tweaking done. I think you can get a reliable, battle ready 1911 for $1500. You can certainly spend more. If you can't make up your mind, send me the $1500 and I will take this terrible dilemma off your hands.:)

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have to add a vote for a Baer. My TRS is dead reliable, and shoots much better than I can. It may not be quite as pretty or precisely as accurate as my $2,500 custom Wilson, but I would say it is the very best value for the money of all the 1911's I've owned over the years. In fact, it's so good that it makes the Wilson look overpriced. In defense of the Wilson, I got a little carried away with the custom features I wanted and ran the price up pretty good.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
rst said:
What to expect? Well, once you've justified the $1500 price range to yourself you can expect the desire to move up to the $2500 range and from there to the $5k price range.

*sigh*

Are you a Saturn or a Porsche type of guy? Timex or Breitling? They all get the job done, they'll just feel a little different. In the end, only you know what that difference in "feel" (I'm including aesthetics and emotion here) is worth to you.

Figuring out what you want is maybe the funnest part. Take your time and enjoy the journey.

-R.
I think this says it all... I have a $600 1911 that I put about $200 into and did a little tinkering with. Shoots great. Looks great.

I have a $2800 1911. Needs nothing else. Shoots great. Looks great.

Both are totally reliable and accurate as I am. :rolleyes: I actually feel more comfortable carrying the less expensive model as if I ever really needed to use it I would be less uncomfortable parting with it to the evidence locker. The more expensive model is just nicer to admire, hold and shoot, like the difference between a Saturn and a Porsche...

So the answer is you need both!

H

·
Registered
461 Posts
At $750-1,200 street ($1000-1,500 MSRP) you all the bells and whistles included and in many cases some fine production pistols. The S&W SW1911 and the Springfield Loaded are two of the better choices in that order. But you also run into some overly tarted up mass produced schlock.

At $1300-1500 street (1,500-2,100 MSRP) you are still looking primarily at production pistols but they've usually had some individual attention. The Springfield TRP is in my opinion one of the best of breed examples in this price range. And of course there are still a few tarts in this price range.

$1,600-2,500 street (2,100-3,000) you should be seeing significant attention to detail. Les Baer, Smith & Wesson Performance Center, and the TRP Pro come to mind.

Over that and IMHO you're paying for art work or bragging rights.

·
Registered
643 Posts
txgolfer45 said:
I was originally looking for a 1911 in the $800 range. A S&W1911, Springfield Loaded and Colt XSE fit that range (+ or -).

If I move up between $1000 and say $1500, what should I expect? Better parts? Better fit? Anything else?

Recommendations?
Sir, IMHO what you get with a higher end gun is predictability.

A run-of-the-mill 1911 from Colt, S&W, SA Inc. or any number of other makers will probably be a solid gun right out of the box. Or not--the manufacturers' subforums are full of gripes about brand-new guns. It'll probably be acceptably accurate, and it may be very accurate. It'll probably be reliable, but it might not. It'll have a functional trigger, maybe even a good trigger, and rarely a very good trigger. The manufacturer will probably fix gross problems, but that's about it. In other words, you're rolling the dice.

With a higher end gun, the odds are much better that it will be accurate, will be reliable, and will have a very good trigger--straight out of the box with no fooling around. And if it fails in any of these ways (high-end makers have lemons, too), you can send it back, and the manufacturer will make it right. In other words, it's much less of a gamble.

Of course, some folks like to tinker and modify, and that's fine. But if you're not one of them, and you want to be sure you're getting an excellent rig before you even see it, the higher end gun is the better way to go.

JMHO, FWIW.

Hope this helps, and Semper Fi.

Ron H.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Your extra money buys prettier gunwork, but most importantly....

You receive the right to chant "You get what you pay for" when someone has trouble with a lower-priced gun.

When someone with your gun brand and price range has trouble, you get to rave about the wonderful customer service.

Those rights are a deal at any price...:scratch:

·
Registered
561 Posts
rst said:

*sigh*

-R.
man ,aint that the truth!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts