1911Forum banner

What do you guys clean with?

3359 44
I just bought my second bottle of cleaning solution, do you guys have any preference on what you like to use? The bottle I just bought like kind of generic (i've never heard of the manufacturer, not that I would know the difference).

SIDE NOTE: I just took my fairly new Custom II out for a drive yesterday, I have about 600 rounds through it, and it didn't skip a beat. In the begining, I had about 5-10% FTF or FTE but yesterday I put 100 rounds through it and all I can says is SEXY! BTW it does have the internal extrastor. I thought I would provide a little comfort to those having minor problems with their new kimbers......another success story!

Tony
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
273 Posts
I actually use non-chlorinated brake cleaner when I do my big cleaning (meaning all my guns in one day). A few on my retired military buddies recommended this method and I find it works great! Cheaper than "gun cleaner". Just need to lube the hell out of it after as it really dries the guns out.

· Registered
307 Posts
I use Shooter Choice on the barrels of all my pistols and Rem Oil to clean with. I lubricate with nonaerosol CLP Breakfree. I use Sweets 7.62 on my nonchromed lined Bushmaster barrel.

· Registered
954 Posts
Hoppes No. 9 for the bore, O'Riely house brand brake parts cleaner ($2 a can) for for everything else, lube with Dupont Teflon Multi-use Dry Film Lube ($5 a can a Lowe's, haven't found it anywhere else yet). Seems as slick as Tetra grease and since it is dry it stays put in Houston's heat.

I shoot "dirty ammo" - mostly reloads using Unique and Wolf, this dry film lube doesn't seem to form the grimey "mud" I used to get with Break-Free or Tetra.

--wally.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how is tetra for cleaning?

I just checked, the bottle I bought is tetra....will this be ok for my Custom II....I have that black oxide finish and don't want to wear it any faster than it will naturally.

· Registered
488 Posts
+1 on the Brake Cleaner - for about $3 a can, you just can't beat it. The non chlorine green can is less nasty (and won't eat plastic). Lube with Militec, and wipe down the outside with BreakFree.

· Registered
43 Posts
Whatever is handy -

Brake Cleaner works good - Carb Cleaner works better but will melt some plastics - Hoppe's works good too. Any oil that is handy, I've even used 60W Motorcycle oil. My new favorite is "Get-Off Gun Cleaner" which leaves a light oil residue on my gun, I like that. Here's a pic of CCW pistol (just for fun) :) If I downloaded it right?

Attachments

· Registered
3,432 Posts
Cleaning: M-Pro 7, gel and liquid. Nothing else needed except of course cotton patches, brass jag, bronze and nylon (old toothbrush) brushes, Q-Tips, paper towels.

Lube: FP-10. It doesn't clean very well, but it's an excellent lubricant.
It could be used for cleaning too, like any CLP, if you're not particular, and certainly cleans quite well enough for functional purposes.

· Registered
948 Posts
My steps usually go:
1. After every shooting session I use a nylon brush followed by patches soaked with hoppe's #9. (Every once in a while I will dip a brass brush in Hoppe's #9 and run it through the bore a couple times to knock out deposits)
2. I lightly lube the bore using a patch soaked in CorrosionX, followed by a dry patch to remove excess oil and fuzz from the bore.
3. Clean the rest of the gun using CorrosionX, leaving CorrosionX on contact areas for lubrication.

I have a bottle of copper solvent, I haven't found the correct frequency to use it though.

I like CorrosionX a lot, but I've been thinking about switching to Teflon bearing grease to lubricate the action and only lubracating the ramp/chamber with CorrosionX. What are your favorite teflon greases?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.