1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
38 super, 9mm, 22, 45, 10...ect

What brand of ammo do you go plinking with?
I've only used winchester white box and remmingtons latesly as a friend got a ton at a steal but running low and doubt he'll be getting more anytime soon.

Looking at wolf and tul due to the cost of steel casings instead of brass. Any know issues?

Can't do reloads on account if the range rules.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Find a different range!!!!

Bob
Lol. Its literally down the road from me. They have been real good about not jacking up the ammo during the "crisis", they have benn fair about the trade in i've done in the past, only complaint is this reload buisness and the price of new guns...I cant haggle worth a damn.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've never used the steel case combloc stuff. I usually just shoot whatever I can get of the brass stuff. I also reload but I understand your position.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
When I first bought my 45ACP 1911 I also picked up 100 rounds of Wolf steel case ammo. Shot and cycled just fine. Long term I don't know about steel case. I do have some concerns about a steel case on an aluminum feed ramp (mine) for long term. I started reloading brass just after the Wolf steel case so can't comment on long term steel case use.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I've been prejudiced against East-European ammo for years due to bad juju from the Vietnam years but people I trust on this forum claim Tula and Wolf are good, reliable cartridges and that steel case won't bother a Rock at all. I've usually gone with brass-cased stuff (American Eagle and BlazerBrass) for the range and even had good luck with that odd-looking, blue-nylon-jacketed, alloy-cased Blazer. I probably will have to try the Warsaw-Pact stuff (sorry, old habits die hard) due to cost and availability. Not sure what the problem is with your range and steel; mine simply banned .22TCM after I shot it there the first time because it was "too hot" for their set-up so I guess a steel-shell prejudice isn't that odd! I'd say shoot what you want and just keep an eye on the debris build-up on your gun after every couple of magazines. Might not hurt to have a little range cleaning kit with you or at least a nylon bore/chamber brush.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
38 super, 9mm, 22, 45, 10...ect
mostly 45 by far
but also shoot 9, 10 and 40

What brand of ammo do you go plinking with?
whatever factory new I can find cheapest, and my own loads

I've shot thousands and thousands of Wolf and Tul in 9 and 45.
The powder smells funny/different , and the ammo is dirtier than WWB, but no dirtier than Fed American Eagle.

Out of 7000+ rnds, I've had maybe 5 or 6 inert primers.
other than that, it's reasonably accurate and shoots fine for me.

I'll add, I don't own any pistols that are finicky about ammo, truth is, I can't think of any factory new ammo, domestic or import that is "bad"

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Pistol: .22 (S,L,LR) .22 Mag., .38 spc. .38 Super, ..357, .45 acp.

Rifle: .22, .223, .243. 7MM Rem, .308, 30-06, 50 cal. BP

Reload everything except .22 ...... Have my own range, Rifle and Pistol

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Will the range let you shoot your reloads ? A range by me just won't allow reloads from an unknown source, but will allow your own reloads. I shoot mostly 45acp and 40 but some 9mm 38s 357s and reload everything I shoot.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Primarily .22rimfire; 9mm; and .45ACP. We purchase and plink with the cheapest we can find. The cheapest is no longer cheap, and we have little hope that it ever will be again.

We trudge on.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Both of my RIA 1911s jammed on Tul 9mm. For some reason they jam closed - can't pull the slide back. I have few 100 rounds of Tul left that I'm affraid to use. The last time I tried, I had to leave the range with a jammed pistol. It took me 20 minutes of fiddling at home to get the slide back. I may try the Tul in my M&P, but never again in my 1911s.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
what I shoot?

.45ACP.

Sometimes 9mm, 40SW, and occasional .22.
But big, fat 230gr of lead is what I shoot.

Lately its .45ACP and 10MM tho

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Both of my RIA 1911s jammed on Tul 9mm. For some reason they jam closed - can't pull the slide back. I have few 100 rounds of Tul left that I'm affraid to use. The last time I tried, I had to leave the range with a jammed pistol. It took me 20 minutes of fiddling at home to get the slide back. I may try the Tul in my M&P, but never again in my 1911s.
Joe - if you have any of those Tul cases that jammed around, mike their diameter and compare it to an unfired round. I had the same thing happen with my TCM and discovered that the case had swollen by .005 which was enough to lock the slide and required a brass rod down the barrel to dislodge the thing. Now I keep a kit in my range bag with a sturdy brass cleaning rod in case it happens again. I was shooting Armscor's factory TCM so I was very surprised by this event.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Anyone have a "stovepipe" occur from the steel case ammo?
i never have
and the first thing I think of when hearing stove pipe is "limpwristing"
even though a full size all steel 1911 can't be limpwristed, shooter flinch can cause stoppages

..L.T.A.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts