1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into buying a 38 Super pistol. How accurate is a 38 Super load in a good pistol and is 38 Super easy to reload? Thanks in advance.

Bruce

------------------

·
Registered
386 Posts
Brucea, Accuracy depends on the pistol. The super is as accurate as any other cartridge. What you may be thinking of was that when the super was first developed it had serious problems with accuracy because they tried to headspace on the rim. When they changed over, years ago, to headspacing on the case mouth, accuracy problems went away. I've reloaded .38 super for 10 years now, no more problems than any other cartridge. I have a .38 super Colt Commander and I love it. The super is shot regularly in IPSC in raceguns. Get one, you'll be happy with it. You may have some problems finding commercial ammo though.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Commercial ammo in these parts is easy to find, but the selection is limited. Mainly cor-bon and FMJ remington and winchester.

It's a joy to reload. You can load anything from 88 grain HPs to 160 grain SWCs with no problem.

As NapAttack mentioned, the accuracy problem has been history since around 1970 when barrels were changed to headspace on the case mouth.

George Nonte loved this round and even recommended a hot 115 grain load as suitable for bears! George may have been drinking at the time though....

I will say that a 88 grain HP at 1700 FPS will do nasty things to tree rats.

·
Registered
220 Posts
No harder to load for than any other round. I use small rifle primers, load to 1.250, .378 crimp. Make sure that you have a fully supported barrel or stick to factory loads.

Rich

·
Registered
602 Posts
There is a good writeup on the Super .38 in Nov. 2001 issue of Shooting Sports USA (a publication of the NRA). The article is titled "Evolution of the Super .38 Action Shooters Best Kept Secret". The article is really positive on this cartridge, enough so that I might pick one up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts