1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I am looking for feedback on Galco products.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
When you have Lou Alessi and Matt Del Fatti gunleather to invest in, why buy Galco? Not to be facetious, but how often do you invest in a resting place for your weapon? When you do, invest in quality and durability. And their prices are reasonable to boot.

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
551 Posts
If I need something quick or for occasional use, I almost always wind up with Galco. In the last 20 years I have found more "keepers" from Galco than anything else. I have a cardboard box full of a lot of other brands.

When I have the time, and for my primary carries, I always have something built by one of 3 leather makers I have grown to depend on.

------------------
BT
NRA LIFE
NAHC LIFE

[This message has been edited by BloodyThumb (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
And just because Galco ends in a vowel, doesn't mean it was made with old world Italian craftsmanship....ciao

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love all my GALCO holsters, every single gun get to wear a Galco holster. Very quality product, reasonable prices, and you don't have to wait 3 to 9 months to get the holster. I've seen more dealers stocking Galco holsters than any other brands. Right now I'm carrying my Kimber SS Goldmatch in a Galco Royal Guard ( IWB )

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
How do you feel about Ford's vs. Mercedes? Both are good, serviceable machines but the Mercedes has more attention to detail. Galco is a Ford while Alessi & Milt Sparks are Mercedes.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Let's see, first of all, a holster does not need to be made with Old World Italian craftsmanship. While there are custom makers in which to invest, Galco holsters do last for a long time. Just because a holster is custom doesn't make it more durable than a non custom product.

Comparison between Ford and Mercedes is a little extreme. I have yet to see a custom holster with all of the upgrades and modifications that you would find in a higher end Mercedes over a Ford. Here I note "higher end" because the low end Mercedes are not impressive. I see the difference as being more like getting a Hart Shafner and Marx suit versus an Armani. HS&M make good quality suits. They look nice and work well. For double the price or more, you can have an Armani that does the same job as the HS&M and has no particular functional features not found on the HS&M. Yes the Armani has a lot more work done by hand and may look somewhat better, but does anyone know or care that your suit is Armani if you don't show them the label?

Holsters are devices for carrying guns. I see them as a tool. I am not into frills or show holsters. I definitely don't care about the presentation factor of holsters that are IWB. They are made to not be seen. All of the Galco holsters I have tried and the couple I have bought have performed as expected. They have carried my guns securely and held up. The custom gear from Sparks holds my gun well and also have held up well. With Sparks, I can see the stamp of the individual holsterer to know if Tony did my holster, Brian, etc. That is cool, but doesn't change the functionality.

If Sparks sold their VM2 design to Galco who then mass produced them and with that came the price reduction associated with mass production, say 15%, I would probably buy one for each gun from Galco. Sparks makes fine holsters, no doubt, but what really has impressed me is the VM2 model. It carries my gun in a manner that I have found no other holster can do. Once again, this all comes down to functionality.

Sure, there is no prestige in owning a Galco. It is just a plain good holster. When was the last time you got a long distance call from a buddy who bought a Galco?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
"the Armani may look somewhat better"

To a non-Italian eye, maybe, to us...a whole lot better. Old world Italian craftsmenship...only one to wear with my delfatti isp-3. Grazie.

BTW, I see your point about the Galco and you are right, most people would be well served by one. I guess being from "the boot", I put too much emphasis on the look and feel of my leather (jackets and shoes also)...but that's an Itlian thing. Ciao per adesso...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by mcgrubbs:
Hey everybody,

I am looking for feedback on Galco products.
Galco has some decent holsters. I've used the Royal Guard & FLETCH. I still think they have the best shoulder rig though, the
Jackass Rig is my favorite - comfortable &
conceals well, and well made. The Miami
Classic is good too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I always looked at Galco as an industry standard (Eg. Price, quality and availability) since the '90s.
Baianchi and Safariland were like that to me in the '70s and '80s but now Galco has taken that position.
Whenever I see a new holster,I always compare and evalute against the standard. Sad to say but there are only few makers that are above the standards and much more below the line.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,426 Posts
I have a Galco Jackass, and it is a well-made piece of work. The price was very reasonable, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Galco, based on my experience.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a few Galco products and while they are fine I have "seen" a new light with products from Alessi, Highnoon, Kramer, Davis and etc. I just recieved an Alessi DOJ and a Kramer version of the same holster. The quality is fantastic. I called Highnoon and spoke with the owner about special needs for plainclothes female officers. He was most helpful and impressive.

The quality and SERVICE has to go with PEOPLE like Alessi, Kramer, and Highnoon. Try calling Galco, Bianchi and etc and ask them to modify this and that. You can imagine what the answer would be. You probably won't get past the clerical staff. I'm a 23 yr LEO person who has always carried my own gun and leather. My serious carry leather was NEVER from one of the big name companies. I always liked the way I was treated by the smaller outfits. I was never sorry I did. Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have some reservations about the necessity of spending big bucks for custom leather.

Galco is hand made. Best quality leather, good design, excellent craftsmanship. The 1911 is a standard size gun, nothing complcated about finding leather to fit.

I have a local maker who will do custom work for me. Takes a month, but I get the design I want with the features and details I request.

But most of the time I go with Galco off the rack. It's a fine product.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

·
Registered
770 Posts
The only Galco holster that I've owned (and still do, for some reason) is their paddle. I had a Don Hume paddle for my Ruger P90, and liked the don Hume better for it's performance. I don't like the plastic paddle, and the "hook" on the padle needs a thicker belt to catch on.
As soon as I get anothe all leather holster, I will be trying to unload my Galco.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i carry my full size 1991A1 in a Galco "summer" holster, its the inside the waistband. i have had no problems with it, the straps have snaps to hold it on my belt, and i have never had them come loose.

i have been carrying this holster off duty for a little over a year, and love it. it does what i want it to, i don't mind that its plain, there's no useless bells and whistles on my gun either

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I don't know if these other guys wear Galco or not. It seems like many people here do not. I hope that is a fair statment! I do not.

I have seriously considered Galco in the past, especially for a shoulder rig, but they just don't seem to have it "all", design wise, as far as I'm concerned. I was looking at Galco once for a shoulder rig, but the holster did not cover the muzzle and the mag pouches were double snapped to hold officer's mags and full size mags. I have a full size, so the officer mag snaps would go unused and are just more to screw up on or hang up on. I'm probably being picky, but for $125, I expect a holster for my gun, not a range of similar guns.

That said, I bought a Rafter S. It is a full custom belt rig for the same price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I'm a newbie here and guess I'm a little less blessed with a lot less cash than many of you folks. I always thought Galco's prices were a little high (I guess everything's relative, right?).

I "splurged" to buy an OWB for my Kimber Compact CDP (Model CON266M) and have been extremely pleased with it. In fact, it's on my hip right now.

I've got a Galco FED paddle-style holster for my Glock 27 and couldn't be happier with it.

Maybe someday I'll have the cash to spend for the custom models. But, I'm not sure why as the Galco holsters I've used seem to be more than up to the challenge and are aestheticlly pleasant as well (at least to me).

Form follows function.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Originally posted by VC:
Right now I'm carrying my Kimber SS Goldmatch in a Galco Royal Guard ( IWB )
How do you like the Royal Guard? I just ordered one today for my 5" Kimber.

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have a Royal Guard for my Compact. It is a good serviceable holster. I don't much care for holsters with belt loops right on the holster proper; I prefer them offset. The position of the loops on a Royal Guard, IMHO, detracts a slight degree from concealment because they add width. Still, it's what I carry my compact in because at this point, I prefer my mad money to go to guns or ammo and not to more or more expensive leather. YMMV.

RJ

1 - 20 of 31 Posts