1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at a LGS and in the 1911 cabinet I noticed a Caspian. They were asking $650. The trigger was nice and it seemed to have the standard parts and a Kensight rear sight. I noticed that a whoever assembled it dinged the slide a little installing the front sight which makes me wonder what their skills were.

I don't know who the barrel was made by, the barrel had a little more metal at the tip.

I noticed that a little finish was slightly worn on the slide from rubbing on the receiver.

If all the parts used were Caspian, what would the cost be?

So I guess my question is, does $650 seem like a good deal.

Is there anything I should look for?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If they used quality parts, just the frame, slide, and barrel are approaching that figure. Most kits that I have seen are in the $1000 range and that does not include time or labor. Only the owner could tell you the quality of the parts or his skill level.

·
Registered
21,860 Posts
If the internals were Caspian or other name brand, there is $1100-$1200 in parts alone.

But do you know the skill of the assembler? It would not take much to ruin barrel, frame, hammer, and sear.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would not touch it. Even good parts can be ruined by someone who has no experience.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I understand you can purchase a frame that is over sized or a frame and slide that don't need any modification. If the latter was purchased, then wouldn't most parts be drop in? Is there a way to tell of the receiver was over sized or "normal"? Honestly the pistol looks pretty good except for those small marks on the slide by the front sight. The magazine is a Kimber so they didn't exactly cheap out on that.

Thanks

·
Registered
21,860 Posts
1911 parts are not generally "drop in," this is not a Lego AR.

Since it is second hand, the minimum would be to demand a thorough test fire.
Gunsmith examination if you know a real 1911 man.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Can the LGS tell you the history of the piece?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
It costs 1200 or so in parts to build a quality 1911 at home. The gun has lost almost half of that already. If the gun was built right, that's a screaming deal. If it was built wrong, 650 could be too high.

It's hard to say what it is worth without knowing the build sheet or who built it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I agree, no way to know what the value is based on the information at hand. I will say, I wouldn't break even at twice that price on the Commander sized one I built, without even considering my time or "skill". So, I agree with Jim, get someone that has more knowledge of parts and how they should work together to look at it, maybe it's a good deal. Good luck.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the advice, it is probably best that I pass on this one. I am going by there today and will see if they let me take a few photos. I will post them later.

On another note, it seems like building a Caspian is something you should do only if you plan on hanging on to it for a very long time, otherwise you are probably going to loose money on it. Buyers will always question who built it and what their skills are just like how we are questioning this pistol. Because of this buyers will be shy to drop $1,000 or so unless they know who built it and that person does an excellent job.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
In the bright side, it's FAR from the worst I've seen.
I think it is a strange build, on top of its 'quality'. That is Caspian's WWI/1918 "original 1911" style frame, then built as a modern target gun with a beavertail and all.
Also, I doubt that slide is from Caspian. Definitely not their grip safety, either.
As usual, they spent more money on the grips than on other more important parts.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
$1600 in parts alone not counting shipping or having the slide and small parts hot blued.

Check the slide to frame fit. Try to rock the slide side to side. Try to push the front of the slide side to so side. Do the same at the rear. Put your fingertip on the end of the barrel and try to wiggle it. rack the slide. Does it feel clunky or gritty?

If the fitment is good the cosmetic stuff can be fixed. But I would offer him $500 and tell him that is based on the shoddy wormanship.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
I do not think that is a Caspian slide. The port flair looks more like a Blackthorn slide...not exactly taking the 1911 world by storm.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
What was the outcome? I would think he would have trouble moving it at that price, especially around here. I would offer him 500 like another poster responded.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts