1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
75,876 Posts
I don't see anything particularly unique about it. Maybe it just means Springfield Armory already took all of the cool names?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I wonder if it is the composite frame.

Speed is one model, Speed Compact is another model. So, the header is Speed/Speed Compact

Oh, BTW, welcome, just saw your join date.

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
A .22 pistol with a 5" bull barrel, good patridge style front sight, a good adjustable rear sight, and a good adjustable trigger is not a bad way to practice to learn to shoot with accuracy using good trigger control. It is not a good self defense pistol, and the only thing that can be said about the ballistics is it would be better than nothing if you don't have another option.

Hi-Standard .22 pistols have been used a very long time in NRA Outdoor Bullseye competition with great success. Unfortunately, with the decline of NRA Bullseye competition, very few shooters are aware of the Hi-Standard pistol since they are no longer made. The Hi Standard company was dissolved in 2018. I no longer shoot Bullseye, but my Hi-Standard Victor model helped me to climb the ranks in Bullseye, and I was shooting low Master scores when I switched to USPSA, which I still shoot.....but not as fervently as I did in my early years. My Hi-Standard Victor shot very well using Eley Tennex orange box, which was a standard velocity .22 round. My best .22 score for a 50 yard slow fire string was 97-4X. If I didn't hit the ten ring of a Bullseye slow fire target, it was my error, and not the fault of the gun or ammo!

·
Registered
595 Posts
A .22 pistol with a 5" bull barrel, good patridge style front sight, a good adjustable rear sight, and a good adjustable trigger is not a bad way to practice to learn to shoot with accuracy using good trigger control. It is not a good self defense pistol, and the only thing that can be said about the ballistics is it would be better than nothing if you don't have another option.

Hi-Standard .22 pistols have been used a very long time in NRA Outdoor Bullseye competition with great success. Unfortunately, with the decline of NRA Bullseye competition, very few shooters are aware of the Hi-Standard pistol since they are no longer made. The Hi Standard company was dissolved in 2018. I no longer shoot Bullseye, but my Hi-Standard Victor model helped me to climb the ranks in Bullseye, and I was shooting low Master scores when I switched to USPSA, which I still shoot.....but not as fervently as I did in my early years. My Hi-Standard Victor shot very well using Eley Tennex orange box, which was a standard velocity .22 round. My best .22 score for a 50 yard slow fire string was 97-4X. If I didn't hit the ten ring of a Bullseye slow fire target, it was my error, and not the fault of the gun or ammo!

And this has what to do with Browning speed/speed?

·
Premium Member
7,043 Posts
One of Browning's 1911-22s is called the "1911-22 Speed/Speed Compact". What does Speed/Speed mean?
As a model name "Speed / Speed" is marketing. My read of it is to be read as "speed over speed"; likely referring to the alloy slide "over" the composite(?) frame. Each being lightweight making for quicker manipulations and quicker cycling.

Just deduction based upon reading the specs and some familiarity with marketing.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
There is a 4 1/4" barreled model called the 1911-22 Speed.

There is a model with a 3.36" barrel called the 1911-22 Speed Compact.

The Browning website has both guns on the same page, therefore the header is "1911-22 Speed/Speed Compact". On that page you can pick one or the other to see the specs.

·
Premium Member
7,043 Posts

The Browning website has both guns on the same page, therefore the header is "1911-22 Speed/Speed Compact". On that page you can pick one or the other to see the specs.
Occam declares you the winner. The page doesn't render correctly on this browser, e.g. only thumbnail photos. I had to read text in some detail to see that two pistols are being spec'd on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Yeah! Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts