1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying the Dillion RL 550B and would like to know what other components will be needed?

I want to reload 45 ACP, 357 Sig, 44 Rem. Mag, & 30/06. Other than the dies, what else do I need?

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well I just got one and each caliber requires a conversion kit for $33 and a die set for $50.

On the advice of the folks at Dillon (it's nice to be able to go directly to the factory and talk to them), I also got a second toolhead and powder die so I can change between calibers faster ($19), CV500 brass cleaning kit ($123), the accessory package ($163), spare parts kit ($12), and video ($6). They assured me I was getting everything I needed to start cranking out the rounds. Of course I also got components to load 1k of each caliber. I am still building my bench so I haven't set up the press yet.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
828 Posts
You need an extra toolhead and powder die for each caliber, so can you keep the dies adjusted on each one, and a second powder measure. You can use one powder measure for the small cases and the other for the 30-06, otherwise you'll have to change the measuring bars each time you want to throw large changes.
It makes no sense to change only the dies in this setup, ideally you should have a complete toolhead with dies and powder measure to make quick caliber changes, that way you only have to make sure the priming system is the right size and change the rotating base plate to convert from one caliber to another.
Other than that, you'll need a scale, and for the 30-06 you'll need spray on case lube or a lubrication pad. I would also suggest a primer flip tray, a micrometer, an inertial bullet puller, and (last) a case trimmer.
Buena suerte!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Call dillon and ask, I know that the shell plate for the .45acp is also used for the .30-06,and 26 other calibers,I'd get a case tumbler,dial calipers, a scale of some
sort,toolheads for each set of dies,you'll need powder dies & powder funnels,Ask dillon if the other calibers you want to load use the same shellplate,that way you buy one caliber conversion (shellplate,powder funnel, locater buttons) and use shellplate&locater buttons for other caliber and only have to buy powder die and powder funnel,(little cheaper)call dillon and talk with them,might keep you from over ordering,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts