1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to order one in the latter part of December. The only change I would like to make to the gun right now is to get the Black G10 grips along with the Diamond Wood ones that come standard, perhaps ask for a thicker coating of Armor tuff on the front-strap, and maybe the beavertail (if it does not make it stick), and maybe get the ETM mags insted of the 47D's .

My question to you all is this-what else might you add to this gun if you were going to mainly use it ar the range, and carry it part of the time? Or do you think the changes I listed above are justified.

I know this is a decked out gun as it comes--just woundering if there is anything else you would get.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I don't have a CLUE what this gun comes with, but this is my checklist as far as a combat gun goes.

• Extra recoil and firing pin springs.
  • No less than six 7-round mags (but if you prefer the ETM's, go for it), preferably with steel follower and baseplate+slam pad.
  • Extra extractor to match rear of slide.

Also, I don't know what your feelings on the Black/Grey finish are, but for a defense gun I'd get mine Black/Black.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kimber4Ever said:
I don't have a CLUE what this gun comes with, but this is my checklist as far as a combat gun goes.

• Extra recoil and firing pin springs.
  • No less than six 7-round mags (but if you prefer the ETM's, go for it), preferably with steel follower and baseplate+slam pad.
  • Extra extractor to match rear of slide.

Also, I don't know what your feelings on the Black/Grey finish are, but for a defense gun I'd get mine Black/Black.
I think the extra springs are a good idea. The gun comes with 6 of the 8 rd 47D mags, and an extra fitted/matched extractor.

I am still up in the air about the color, good point though about the black/black look for a CCW/combat gun.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,404 Posts
Don't worry about the black/black scenario...you are not clearing rooms or going into a nighttime combat mission. The only time you'll pull the pistol is in an extreme situation, and who cares what color it is then? Choose the finish that YOU like. That's a top-notch piece, and is perfect as is.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Only thing I would reccomend is looking at the CQB Elite to save some money. Comes with everything written above except the extra mags and springs. I have one and love it.
But if you want to pay the premium for the TSG, then by all means my friend, do it.
Please let us know how it stacks up to your other Wilsons if you have any.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fringe said:
Only thing I would reccomend is looking at the CQB Elite to save some money. Comes with everything written above except the extra mags and springs. I have one and love it.
But if you want to pay the premium for the TSG, then by all means my friend, do it.
Please let us know how it stacks up to your other Wilsons if you have any.
I dont own any other Wilsons, but I have shot quite a few loaned from buddies of mine. It's gonna be fall-ish next year before a TSG gets to me so hopefully I'll be able to shoot some more of the Wilson line before I get my gun.

As far as the CQB Elite goes, I think you have a good point. I am at a point in my life where my wife and I can afford a TSG (no kids and a raise comming at work). I want to take this opportunity to get the gun now insted of having to wait due to financial considerations in the future. Hopefully both guns will be in my hands one day.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Unless you own one it is easy to conclude that the primary difference between the Supergrade and other models is in the added features. And if you get a less expensive model with the same features you are getting the same thing without paying the premium for the "Supergrade" on the slide. This is one of the times that you really do get what you pay for. I have four Wilsons - Protector Compact, Professional, Tactical Elite, and Tactical Supergrade. All fine weapons. Smooth, tight, and accurate. While the Supergrade feels a bit slicker in operation you have to field strip it to appreciate the difference between it and the other models. The fit is phenomenal. It disassembles easier, but is just as tight, if not tighter, when assembled. It is just "right". I can't describe it better than that. Get one if you can.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
spring choice

Just joined. This is my first post, so I'm new to this.
I purchased my first 1911 a while back--a black on black 5" Wilson Tactical Supergrade. Last weekend I disassembled it for the first time after following Wilson's break-in instructions to the letter. The fit really is amazing! I'm very proud to own this gun.

Wilson recommends replacing the spring at about 2000 rounds, so I have a spring purchase to make in the future. The Supergrade comes "standard" with a 17# spring, but they sell 18's as well. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of the 17# vs 18# spring? I'm reluctant to make a change since I trust Wilson's choice, but I'm curious.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I ordered a Tactical Supergrade at the beginning of July and I am expecting it around the first of March. I have a Classic, Professional, CQB Elite, and a Tactical Elite. It is because of all of the fine postings on this site that I justified getting a Supergrade. Needless to say, I am looking forward to it immensely! Thanks again for everyones help and keep up the good work! :rock:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm an idiot, I stated having a Professional when it is a Protector. My bad! :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
supergrade options

get the serriated rear sight, also get a serriated front sight. if you shoot with bi-focals, get a narrower front sight. i believe .125 is the standard width, narrow it to .115. just my thoughts, lefty

·
Registered
553 Posts
I kept mine stock. I went with tactical strong side safety. I did go with the white outline night sights and would recommend them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone for their replys. I'll post and let you know what I get when I order (mid December).

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'd consider thin grips if you like the way they feel. The grip screw bushing is different for thin grips, so if you want to go that direction in the future you'll have to change them. Mine were staked onto the frame making the change something I was unwilling to attempt, but I think that was due to mine being a lightweight aluminum frame.

On the purely cosmetic side, consider requesting your magazines (whichever you choose) in black. I didn't like seeing that thin line of stainless sticking out of the grip, and black looks much better to my eye.

Whatever you do, you're gonna love it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts