1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a trade with a very nice gentleman for the Series '70 Government Model seen in the pictures. The serial number dates it to 1978. It appears to be a mostly stock (obviously the sights are aftermarket) Series '70 with the small roll marks. The 150th Anniversary grips are also obviously not stock, since they were made in 1986. The slide stop also does not appear to be original to the pistol since the shank near the pin is larger than I am accustomed to seeing.

The previous owner had replaced three parts: 1) the original extractor, 2) the firing pin stop, and 3) the collet bushing. All three of the original parts were included with the pistol. The interesting thing is that the stock Colt extractor tip sheared off the extractor body. Never saw that before in a pistol that was properly set up. This one appears to be set up properly, but I want to run it by my smith. The barrel hood does not quite touch the rear of the slide at the breechface; I can get a 0.002" feeler gauge between the two.

My questions: 1) Is anything else obviously not stock? 2) Any idea on what brand/kind of sights are on the pistol? The rear appears to use the factory dovetail, and the front appears to be staked. 3) Any ideas on what could cause the extractor tip to fracture, other than abuse (such as loading a round directly into the chamber)? 4) How much of a gap between the barrel hood and slide at the breechface is acceptable?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,136 Posts
It looks pretty stock to me. The rear sight is a MMC; a very popular "combat sight", twenty years ago.
I broke an extractor in my S80 Colt, and I think it was because the breechblock is too short. The extractor hook protruded too far from the breechface, causing it to "climb" the extractor goove, and excessively flexing. I've put a few different extractors in it, and only the factory Colt part didn't seem to be too long, so I assume it's not a problem of a lot of too-long extractors on the market. It's also possible that your gun, and mine, had defective extractors.
.002" at the hood is tight, for a factory barrel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.