1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been browsing some threads that I dredged up with the search function. Lots of statements like, "quality gun belts are just as important as the holster". I understand that, but I don't see much in the way of explaining exactly what features a gun belt must have to be a good gun belt.

Your thoughts? I'm hoping some of our reputed leathercrafters will jump in here, too. Perhaps I'm overcomplicating things, but it's something I've been wondering. Humor me, here. :)

·
Banned
501 Posts
Well a two layer gun belt is cut from good back strap that wont stretch, glued togethor and stitched making it much stronger than a single layer belt. The lack of stretch is a big point another is Torsional resistance or it doesnt want to twist. Heavy guns will want to twist or contort the belt. Good belts resist this and it all helps spread the weight out for more comfy carry.
Shoot well.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'd personally say either 2 strips of leather sewn together, or an extra thick layer with some exotic on it. The ability to comfortably secure a full size steel 1911 is also handy :)

Rafter S is my personal belt-o-choice.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
EricLarsen said:
another is Torsional resistance ....

There ya' go, using those three dollar words again. :p

Seriously, a good belt really does make all the difference and as the choice of guns becomes heavier the belt becomes even more important. Personally, I prefer to buy my holster and belt from the same maker so they function better as a unit. There are plenty of top quality makers here and I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed by any of them.
Mac

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Eric et al.

That's exactly what I needed to know. Basically, I want a belt that's dimensions (be they longitudinal or torsional) don't change at all with a sidearm on it. Leave it to my over-analytical mind. Sorry... It's the research scientist in me coming out. :rolleyes: :hrm: :biglaugh:

Hmmm... What to order... :cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Y'all only spoke of leather belts there are other synthetic material belts that are just as good. Like the instructors belt from www.thewilderness.com I use one for IDPA and they look just fine with jeans and such. Don't know about the torsion stuff but I bet they do as well as leather and at half the price. And everyone that tries them seems to like them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts