1911Forum banner

What extra's to buy on Custom Classic?

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  nighthunter 
#1 ·
What extra's are worth the money from Kimber on the entry-level gun? Upgraded grips, night sights, etc.?

Plan to order my new gun next week, so any help you all can offer would be appreciated.

#2 ·
<><>> kptaylor, I have two Kimbers. A UC, and a Compact. I have Kimber nite sites, and Hogue cocobolo grips on the UC stainless. On the Compact I have Herrett d-45 Black Lacquer grips, look real good, and fuctional on the all steel frame. Going to get nite sites on the Compact, just don't know which ones yet. That's one of the things about the 1911. You can personalize just the way you want it, for looks and function. Raspy

#3 ·
Go with the base gun and buy the stuff you want from various sources. Ajax checkered wood grips are WAY better than the Kimber supplied ones and cost is about the same. As for the night sights, stay away from the Kimber supplied ones for two reasons... They are having a bad run in which the front sight is going dark. You don't want to have to send your brand-new gun back to the factory when you could be shootin' it. Secondly, there are many better designs out there when it comes to sights anyway.

Base gun all the way. Bone stock.

#4 ·
<>> The nite sites I have on my UC have been on it for about a year and a half. They are the Kimber nite sites. I have not had any problems with them. What are the ones they are having problems with? I have a Compact that I'd like to get nite sites on, but don't want to have them put on and have problems with them. Any suggestions as to which ones are trouble free and dependable? And what the prices are, would be helpful?
Raspy

#5 ·
I would shoot the gun for a while and then see what I need/want. You may find that you want thinner grips rather than the thicker ones that come with the gun. You can get nice looking Navidrex thin grips from Brownells for less than $50 and install them in 5 minutes.

There have been several posts about Kumber night sights going dark and having to return the gun to the factory--shipping costs will kill you. You may also decide that you want adjustable sights such as the MMC with tritium inserts. Any gunsmith can install those for you. My suggestion is that you shoot the gun and then look around to see what's available from aftermarket sources.

#6 ·
Buy the Custom Classic, put at least 500 rounds thru it, & while you're having fun shooting decide what upgrades you might want to make.

Then send the gun off to a good pistolsmith (Burns, Garthwaite, Novak, etc, or someone you know of local to you) & have the work done.

The hardest part will be waiting for your gun to be returned!

#7 ·
Originally posted by kptaylor:
What extra's are worth the money from Kimber on the entry-level gun? Upgraded grips, night sights, etc.?

Plan to order my new gun next week, so any help you all can offer would be appreciated.
I did not care for the rubber stocks that came with my Classic Stainless, replaced them quickly. I have gone through several sets to date, just can not resist new clothes for it. Like getting a new pistol every time I put new stocks on it.

Since my CS is my carry gun, I had night sights installed within one week of getting it. I strongly advise going with Heinie Straight Eights. Call Sara, ask them if they have them in stock. If they do, one day turn around. If not, maybe a week. All you have to do is send them the slide. That's what I did, and I am very happy with them.

From here on out, it's personal preference. I had several things done, they were not really necessary
, but I wanted them done.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

#10 ·
My used Kimber has an excellant trigger on it, wouldn't want it any lighter.

I am less happy with the factory composite
mainspring housing, seems flimsy, replaced it with a steel S/A one.

I replaced the rubber grips with a fancy carbon creations and hex head grip screws.

#12 ·
Unlike in the "old days" when you would buy a standard Colt or Springfield 1911 and almost immediately send it off to a gunsmith to have custom work done to bring it up to useable specifications, Kimbers are pretty good as they are. The minimal requirements for a competent service pistol are 1) sights you can see 2) a trigger you can manage, 3) and no sharp edges. Kimbers generally meet all of these requirements straight out of the box, so the only changes that you need to make are ones relating to personal preferences. Personally, I'd spend money on ammo and professional training before messing with the gun too much.

#13 ·
IMHO, I am a big fan of the beveled, extended mag well. The first Kimber I shot was a Classic Custom with the extended mag well and it seemed so much more balanced to me...not front heavy, not rear heavy...I was impressed. Now, with my Super Match that came with the extended mag well, I can hold it with one finger under the trigger guard...that's balanced! When you are at your local gunshop, pick up a Kimber (full-size) that has the extended mag well and one that doesn't...lemme know what you think

I know this seems like an odd suggestion but I think it makes them comfortable Kimber's incredibly more comfortable

Best of luck with your purchase!

#15 ·
The best addition out there for your custom classic is a set of Lasergrips from Crimson Trace. They are well worth the money for the incredible tactical advantage they will give you.
If you've looked at other lasers, you may have been turned off by the whole concept.
Lasergrips are different than the others, primarily because of the way they activate. You have complete control of the on/off activation at any time... just like a tactical flashlight.

[This message has been edited by nighthunter (edited 08-24-2001).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.