1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everybody. I had another FTE today at the range. It was the usuall thing. The round pivoted on the breech face out of the way of the ejector while using the extractor as a pivot point during the recoil phase. The pistol would then try to refeed the spent casing as well as the new round at the same time while jamming the cassing up against the hood. One thing that I've notice while collecting my brass is that they all have a mark on the bevel (I think is it called that :confused: ) on the casings that is caused by the tip of the extractor making contact with it. I pulled the slide off and slid a empty case underneath the extractor and pushed it up against the breech face. In order to get the casing to fit flush, the tip of the extractor makes contact with the bevel of the cassing and is pushed out a little bit. Would this cause the casings to pivot on the extractor thus causing a FTE? I've just fired my 900th round through the pistol with there being appox 5 of these exact malfunctions with in the last 400 rds.

Thanks, Robert.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
What type 1911 are we shooting?

If the hook depth is excessive it could tie up the empty.

The front(outside) of the extractor should not contact the brass.

Put a round in your hand and put the extractor in the other, now roll the case out as it would in the gun......how's it look/feel?

Finally, is your extractor tensioned properly and/or does it clock too much? I was just bit by this dog, the extractor would clock letting the empty slide up the breech over the ejector, only noticed it on hand ejections though.

Hope this is helpful.....

I'll be standin' by :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff

I'm shooting a Kimber Stainless Compact II. Every single peice of brass I have collected has a mark on the bevel where the tip of the extractor hook is making contact. There is a minute amount of clocking. I've taken a few spent casings off of the glasses in the past. I'm almost tempted to order a new Ed Brown extractor and firing pin stop and replce what is already in the gun. I have no smithing skills at all but would be willing to try to do the fitting myself. That would always be a good time to learn :eek: . I'm not sure what extractor to buy though. My pistol has the series II firing pin block in it.

Robert.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
It should not touch, in my opinion. I dress down all my extractors so they do not contact the cases as you describe. You also need to see how deep the hook is.... .035 is maximum, I like them to be .032 If you don't have a micrometer then fit it so the hook tip does not bottom out on the inside of the rim diameter.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the extractor? Since you will have to do that with a replacement, why not try it with the one in the gun now?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff

If the hook is too deep, what tools will I need to shallow it up a little bit. I did probably the most gheto method of measuring the depth of the hook using a spark plug gauge and the depth is around 0.045 and 0.050 of an inch.

Thanks, Robert.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Is the extractor that you currently have in the gun a Kimber extractor? I bought a replacement for my GoldMatch from Caspian, but when it got in I noticed it was considerably longer than the Kimber extractor, and would contact the case as you described. When fitting I even made sure to only take metal off the firing pin stop slot that would push the extractor further reward, effectively shortening it. But it was still too long. I never fired the gun with the extractor in it though, I just put the Kimber one back.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Re: Jeff

RobertD. said:
If the hook is too deep, what tools will I need to shallow it up a little bit. I did probably the most gheto method of measuring the depth of the hook using a spark plug gauge and the depth is around 0.045 and 0.050 of an inch.

Thanks, Robert.
:D I haven't seen any .45 extractors with a hook deeper than .040 but you need to address this. It may not be your only problem but you need to start there.

Hansgraf, Caspians extractors are oversized for custom fitting. Their hooks are .040 also. They need to be dressed down to the .032-.035 range. The nose is long too, still that needs to be dressed as well.

I bought an Ed Brown extractor once and it is near perfect right out of the bag, no dressing neccessary. Adjust the tension and your done.

I highly reccomend Ed Brown extractors :) .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hansgraf, the extractor that is in the gun is the stock Kimber extractor. I found a topic while searching in the Kimber forum of someone who had the same type of malfunctions. He sent the pistol to Kimber for repair. I haven't found out what the problem was though. I'd rather research the problem, spend a little money and fix the problem myself.

Jeff, I'll pick up a micrometer and get an accurate measurement to see how deep the hook really is. I've been hearing about some QC problems with Kimber and with someone haveing a similar problem, I bet it is probably an overlooked/improperly fitted ectractor.

Robert

1 - 9 of 9 Posts