1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quicker fumble free mag changes. More useful in competition than real world use probably. It just gives you a larger easier window to funnel the magazine into the well of the pistol.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
They won't really make you faster with a reload, but they do provide a bit of insurance against fumbling. Basically they extend the bevel of the magwell kind of like placing a funnel in a bottle.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I disagree on the speed aspect....I think it makes it a lot faster. It gives you a bigger funneled window that is much quicker and easier to slam a magazine into. It allows a larger margin of error on your magazine positioning during insertion than the stock opening on the frame.

XavierBreath, I have stainless Gold Cup very similar to yours. I checkered and squared up the top of the frontstrap on mines though. I like the front cocking serrations on yours.....you have that done to it or did it come that way?

·
Registered
335 Posts
-draco- said:
I'm new to 1911's, and was wondering other than it looking cool does a magwell help?
While some people feel that it causes a detriment to carrying because it adds length to the butt, I personally use on on my carry 1911 because it does increase the speed of reloads and it will help prevent missed placement of magazines during a reload.

With the correct style and fit, the extended mag-well will only increase the length of the butt by about 1/4 of an inch.

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC
www.wa-protective.com

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
My argument Sheldon, is that I can reload a pistol without a mag well as fast as with one IF I do not fumble the reload. The speed is in the technique and handling of the equipment, not the magwell, at least not for me. I do have to admit that I am more likely to make a fumble without a magwell. If I fumble, then time is lost.

Glad you like my Gold Cup. It is one of my better shooters. It came to me with the front slide serations, as well as the beavertail. Basically the only things I added were the grips and Magwell, as the previous owner wanted to keep those. Here's a link to a few more pics of my Gold Cup. http://groups.msn.com/THE1911BOYSCL..._Message=131&LastModified=4675433029725269608

·
Registered
841 Posts
They do have some that do not add any length to the pistol, but they require machining of the frame and the welding of the funnel. I know Ed Brown makes one like that. They are nicer than the add on ones, but are a lot more expensive to have done due to all the work involved.

·
Super Moderator
3,119 Posts
If used, the mag-well funnel should not encircle the frontstrap. If it does, it can prevent one from easily stripping a stuck magazine out of the pistol. The Smith and Alexander units are well designed in this regard.

Rosco

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
XavierBreath said:
My argument Sheldon, is that I can reload a pistol without a mag well as fast as with one IF I do not fumble the reload. The speed is in the technique and handling of the equipment, not the magwell, at least not for me.
For a very well practiced person, the magwell may not speed things up any real amount if the mag change is do absolutely correct. Similarly, a flared mouth on the frame is no faster than one that isn't flared if you make the change exactly right. Therein lies the rub. A flared mouth ends up helping folks be successful on a more timely basis and extended/flared magwells provide further benefit. If you subscribe to the notion that fine motor skills go away under stress, one is more likely to fumble a mag change in a non-flared mouth than one that is flared, or one that has an extended expanded mag well.

One huge detriment of the extended and flared mag wells is that they don't work so well with flush base magazines. It is almost comical to see a person in a match with a new magwell added on and try to do a mag change and slapping in a new flush base mag that never gets seated and then falls out while the person is trying to get off that first newly reloaded round that never reloaded.

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
What's up with you guys that shoot 2" groups, but can't hit a standard mag chute at contact range? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
841 Posts
The Ed Brown weld on one (and those that work in a similar fashion) would not need magazines with base pads as it requires the thickness of the magwell to be machined from the bottom of the frame, so it is dimensionally the same in length as a standard frame.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Magwells

Improves likelyhood of getting a mag in gun consistently. Instead of "threading a needle" you are blessed with a much larger target. Additionally if you use the S&A type you get another 1/4 inch to the butt of the gun, great ifyou have big hands. Some say concealment suffers, some not, its never been a problem for me, if I can conceal a fullsize 1911 to begin with the additional 1/4 length doesnt make any difference to me hiding the gun. Your results may vary, but I install the S&A magwell on every 1911 I carry for duty. Can i hit the regular opening consisttently? Yes. Is it easier with the funnel? Absolutely.
Indexing the opening with gloves on can be difficult and a larger target helps.

Try one, if it works for you keep it, if not add it to the other parts for sale here.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Magwells:

- bigger hole to hit with the reload
- add weight
- work as a pomel, which can aid grip

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
AZ Husker said:
What's up with you guys that shoot 2" groups, but can't hit a standard mag chute at contact range? :biglaugh:
LOL! Too true! :D

Magwells don't improve speed of good reloads, they increase the margin of error you can get away with if you bungle it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know old post

Have a magwell on ria also have 10 rd mag that won't Fit with the magwell which would be more important it is a real nice 10 rd mag or should I try to trade mag for another 7 rd?

Philip

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Extended Magwells are designed to make your CCW print better and look Tacticool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts