1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I'm talking about:

$500!

$650!

What on earth? I read a couple of years ago at the Box O Truth that these could be had for under $400. I know times change and all, but for an old, worn down, in desperate need of repair and refinish 1911 there are people who think it's reasonable to ask for $500+?!

You can buy new 1911's for that kind of cabbage! It's not that I'm against the right to charge what you want, but what I can't understand is the logic. When they were cheap they were attractive. Now people want what we would pay for a NEW Sistema?

Did I miss something? Did the Argentinian military say something to the effect of "Oh, those were the last remaining 10,000 of them"? Did anything with the word "Argentina" on it become worth it's weight in silver? Or did we all just go a little batty?

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Did anything with the word "Argentina" on it become worth it's weight in silver? Or did we all just go a little batty?
No, I think people finally figured out that the FMAP made M1927 guns were real, legitimate licensed Colt copies and differentiated them from the Llamas and Ballester Molinas. I think the fact other Argentine guns were mediocre was holding the M1927's back. The internet had a lot to do with it - people could go to gun boards and blogs and find out the real story. They've moved up along with other Colt and 1911 prices. Also, the fact the last batch imported were so ragged made the older, nicer ones go up.

Those pictured have the original blue finish it appears and that actually is considered desirable and raises the book value quite a bit. For a good shooter in solid shape, I don't think $500 is crazy - try to come up with any vintage of Colt that is solid for that price. I would not sell mine for $500, that's for sure!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The market was flooded with Sistemas awhile back and the prices the importers were charging were reasonable for a shooter grade pistol. A fair number them were pretty junky with little or no finish, in need of new springs, grips, etc and huge import stampings on the slide. Then the there's always been some confusion with some over the 10,000 pistols made by Colts in Hartford for Argentina which are not Sistemas. Then there are pistols that were purchased by Argentina from Colts more or less off the shelf usually with C prefix serial numbers. All things being equal, I would value the Colts made pieces higher than the DGFM (the real Sistemas) only because they were made at the Colt factory. From what I've read, the supply of Sistemas has pretty much dried up, that may also help to elevate the price. 40 or more years ago, M1911 and M1911A1 pistols could be purchased at what we now consider to be ridiculously low prices. You're going to hear people saying years from now, "I remember when you could buy those for $275..." that's almost true.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
It's just the Marketplace. Sistemas are excellent guns, and as their availability decreases, their values increase. Around here, a Modelo 1927 Sistema in nice condition will go for $500-$700. The one in the photo for $500 looks like a beater to me. It might bring $350-$375.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm curious as to why this is even being discussed on a "UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT ISSUE" thread ? Were they issued to the U.S military, I think not. If I'm mistaken let me know and I'll start buying some up for an investment.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Although not U.S. made they are considered a variation worth mentioning. I suppose it's no worse than reading about someone wanting to customize his grandaddy's old M1911 that he carried all through WWI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts