1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been off the competitive circuit for a few years now, and on a whim went to the STI web site to drool over frames for a custom build. I discovered they have a new name, and it doesn't appear they sell frames or other components any longer. It looks like all they are selling are complete guns.

What happened? Am I on the wrong site?

·
Registered
21,672 Posts
No, they went to the movies, sold a John Wick prop, and decided to deal in kewl tacky tickle Tier 1 operator gunz.

Which is sad to me because my Eagle and Buzzard are first class competition guns.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
STI 2011 frames....

I have purchased good STI 2011 receivers from L-10 Machine, but they are now sold through this website:

https://www.rogue-tac.com/

I have never had an issue with their 100% finished all steel receivers, but have not tried the 80% finished steel receivers or any of the aluminum receivers....:)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Afraid STI has abandoned us competitive shooters as a customer base and reworked to serve the tacticool folks.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
It is the price paid to consumers when companies are bought by investment companies. Sad.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had the honor to meet Ed Minshew from JEM Guns which is also in Georgetown, TX, same as STI. Prior to starting JEM, he was (if memory serves) the lead engineer for STI. He said STI was employee-owned and they were taking the company in a different direction so he decided to start his own business.

I've built 1911s from both brands. I liked STI frames because of their larger front strap radius and because the were free of tool marks, burrs, etc. JEM frames require some clean-up and de-burring but I like them even more because JEM offers more choices/options such as wider frame (about .787), different front strap radius, different dust cover thickness/radius, etc.

If you're looking to do a custom build, give JEM a call and let them know what you want. Very high quality parts!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I am sorry for those of you who like the OP are looking for competition guns. I have only shot one competition STI years ago and it shot great. I do not remember the model but I do remember thinking that I wish someone would make something like that for those of us in law enforcement to carry on the street.

That being said, I love my P Duo and carry it at work daily. When off duty I carry my C2. So from those of us who have double stack 1911 type pistols to carry at work, I am glad they made the switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts