1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted here before about a moly hammer/sear lube I tried which lightened the pull on a couple of my 1911's a few ounces.

I just tried it on my S&W model 14 - the pull before the moly was 32-34 ounces and after the moly it was down to 16 ounces.

These are all target guns not carry guns, I was wondering what can happen if a trigger gets too light?

I know the safety concerns- accidental discharges but are there other things I'm not aware of? like something detremental to the gun?

· Registered
1,678 Posts
in short AD on a SA. On an DA the hammer may not hit the fireing pin with enough force to make the gun go bang.

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't expect a lubricant to make such a difference, especially since I've tried so many with little effect.

It might be okay for triggers that are heavier then 3 or 4 pounds and creepy but doesn't seem appropriate for lighter triggers or maybe S&W revolvers.

I don't have a safety concern for this particular gun since it just shoots wadcutters at paper. It is a weird trigger pull because when the hammer falls the trigger is pushed foward by the trigger return spring which is a reduced power spring but is too much for a 1 pound trigger- that is, you don't exert enough trigger pull to equal the trigger rebound spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.