1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I drive hundreds or thousands of miles from home, I carry two handguns. One on my waist, the other in an ankle holster.

For future reference, I was wondering if I must defend myself with one gun, would both guns be taken into evidence or just the one I used to defend myself.

I suspect the answer will vary with departments, but any information is more than I have, currently. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
harrygunner;

Not enough information: Do you have a CWP, the State you are talking about will have alot to do with it, and as you said the PD, I'm sure will vary.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have permits to carry in 34 states, including my home state (California), and have carried in 25. Most of my driving is in California, Arizona, Utah and Wyoming. But, I've driven as far as Minnesota and back.

One of several reasons why I bring a second gun is so I'll have something if one is surrendered into evidence. Curious if I'll still wind up driving home unarmed.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Likely both pistols would be taken to verify which pistol shot which round, etc. Even if you said you only used your sidearm, the investigation would call for both It's same in LE shootings. They take our duty pistol, ankle pistol, SWAT weapons we may have in the trunk. The last non-LE shooting we had, we had the guys rifle back in less than 2 weeks; after forensic testing and Grand Jury.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
The one you claim to have used would be confiscated as evidence and for testing. The other's information would be collected, but you would be able to keep it - with the caveat that it might need to be made available in the future, in case it's needed for ballistics (in the event of a no-match by the primary gun). Get rid of it before being told different and you might face an obstruction and tampering charge.

Each situation & each jurisdiction is different, so answers may vary. But that's how it would go in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. May be a good reason, as a non-LEO, for the BUG to be a different caliber than the primary. Easier to quickly rule one of them out, on the chance the PD is like the one 'mherzog' described.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
IMO if you use your handgun to protect yourself, and the cops take one gun you can bet they will ask if you have another one concealled. And when you show them the other handgun (BUG). You will have both guns taken......

Clyde

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Another reason the second gun is taken is to prevent suicide from remorse.

Most people have no ideal how they would react in the first 24 to 48 hours after a fatal shooting. Some people go to pieces and others take it well. Hopefully the jurisdiction you are in will be helpful and get you the help you will need.

P.S. Alcohol or drugs is not the way to go either.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Maybe you should start carrying three guns. Keep the third in your luggage or locked in your car. Most jurisdications will take both to confirm which gun fired the rounds. If thats the case, you strap on the third and your good to go.:)

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Or,just buy another one on the way home.

Whip out the credit card,fill out the form,bingo,you're a sheep dog again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm CA LE (SF Bay Area). Departments around here would take both your guns as evidence. When you would get it back depends on the department. My own department is fairly fast at this. Some I have heard are not.

·
Registered
30 Posts
what happens to the bug

I was involved in a fatal on duty shooting in Los Angeles and I was only required to give up the weapon I used. Since another LEO was killed in the same incident, I was asked the usual FBI stat questions , did I have a backup weapon, what calaber, did I have a vest on, etc. My duty weapon was test fired at the lab and returned in three days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts