1911Forum banner

What have I done?!

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Maclean3 
#1 ·
Well I just drove out to my favorite gunshop to look around. They have an annual "Customer Appreciation" Sale that was SUPPOSE to end last Wednesday.

Yep, you guessed it, sale was still on and they had a NIB Colt 1991 stainless Gov't. that kept calling me "Daddy" in a very suggestive tone. That nasty old rollmark musta lowered it's standards.

30 minutes later I'm running through the checkout line thinking "What just happened?" I mean, this close to Christmas with gifts still left to be bought and I buy myself a new Colt? Jeez, I must be nuts.

BTW, for those of you trying to find a way to get a new gun into the house unnoticed... wait until the "little woman" is off doing her shopping and there you have the opportunity of a lifetime!

Anyway, this is my first Colt since a MKIV series 80 Gov't. that I had to sell almost 10 years ago. I miss the enhanced model, but this one IS stainless and I can customize it a little at a time.

I know I want Novak low mount night sights (like my SA Champion) and will probably get a beavertail down the road (depending on how the "milspec" grip safety handles). The nylon trigger never bothered me all that much so it'll probably stay intact.

That's the 4th 1911 I've bought and I think the two I now own are definite keepers!

Good to finally own another pony!

Mac

See less See more
#6 ·
Originally posted by Maclean3:

30 minutes later I'm running through the checkout line thinking "What just happened?" I mean, this close to Christmas with gifts still left to be bought and I buy myself a new Colt? Jeez, I must be nuts.

i know what you mean. i just bought a colt buntline...and felt the same way. good luck with your christmas shopping. i guess everyone's getting cards this year

------------------
Nothing like the smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

#7 ·
Originally posted by BOLANTEJ:

i know what you mean. i just bought a colt buntline...and felt the same way. good luck with your christmas shopping. i guess everyone's getting cards this year

Everyone else may very well get cards this year but at least I'd already bought my wife's gifts (pure luck on that one). Hey, I might end up on the couch but at least I won't be locked outside... again.

Mac

#8 ·
Mac, the first gift I buy every Christmas is a new Colt for myself, compliments of my quarter and dime piggy bank. Then with the rest of my feeble budget I tend to everyone else's desires. This ensures that I ALWAYS get what I want from Santa. Congrats on your new Colt.

#11 ·
Hey Mac... drove out there today to take a look. Didn't have near the time I needed to look around like I wanted to; I'll have to go back. The initial prices I saw, though, seemed a bit toward the high side? Or was that just the misconception from not having enough browse time? Are they flexible?

Mikey

#12 ·
Originally posted by Steelharp:
Hey Mac... drove out there today to take a look. Didn't have near the time I needed to look around like I wanted to; I'll have to go back. The initial prices I saw, though, seemed a bit toward the high side? Or was that just the misconception from not having enough browse time? Are they flexible?

Mikey

Their regular prices do seem a little high from time to time, but every so often there's a deal that makes it worth while.

Once a year they have their "Customer Appreciation Sale" and this year it was last Monday thru Wednesday - I just got luck and they'd extended it thru Saturday. Someone had asked about 1991 prices in the Colt forum and the $699 that I paid seemed to be on the lower end of the "average" range. Guess the price I paid wasn't great sale price, but at least it seems in the fair range.

They had a NIB Colt SAA in the $600 to $700 range and last time I saw one of those it was priced at $1200. I'm not really big on cowboy guns so that $1200 gun may have been some special piece.

As far as their flexibility: They lowered the price on my Champion when I bought it last May so I'd be able to add 4 boxes of ammo and still stay in my price range. I've never been comfortable dickering so I rarely do it. You "might" be able to work them down some but I wouldn't swear to it.

Mac

[This message has been edited by Maclean3 (edited 11-28-2001).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.