1911Forum banner

What have I got here?

1074 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  guy sajer
Here is a picture my Great Grand-dad's old Colt. Serial # is 18195. Barrel reads:

COLT's F.A. MFG.CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.
PATENTED AUG. 5TH 1884 NOVEMBER 6TH 1888
COLT. D.A. 41

On the part that you pull back to release the cylinder the number 597. The serial number quoted is on the gun butt.

Caliber is .41LC and gun is in great condition. Bluing is mostly gone on the barrel because grand -kid, me, used to handle it a lot as a youngster. I re-load for it with very light loads. Gun is capable of reasonable accuracy out to 15 yards. Beyond that it becomes a bit hit and miss. LOL. I probably have shot it more in the last two years than it has been shot in the 100+ years it has been in the family

Sure would like to know what model this gun is. Gun will go to my oldest son per grand-dads request.

Stay Safe
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Banned
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just received a reply on another Forum. Gun is a 1889 Colt Navy. Grips are marked "Colt" in the oval at the top of the grip. Thanks for looking. I intend to continue to shoot it with soft reloads and give it to my oldest when I am done with it. Frame bluing is about 95% while the barrel bluing is gone. I think I handled it to much when I was a kid. LOL Prior to me getting molds for it a couple of years ago I doubt the gun has been shot more than a dozen times in the last 100 years. Shot a lot since. I make .41LC cases out of .39spl cases. After shooting they look like old style milk bottles but they work.

Stay Safe

· Banned
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guy sajer

HI Mitch

I try to load my rounds very light. The gun is ini excellent shape. Handled to deatht more than anything else. Going out tomorrow with some new loads. I have to talk to me son and decide whether we want to keep the molds and continue to shoot it or retire the old girl to a wall safe. Kind of a shame to see it collect dust. Gun deserves more. Thanks for the reply. Take a close look at your cylinder vs the one in my picture. I think yours might be the "newer" Army or navy issue.

Regards,

Bob

· Administrator
13,349 Posts
robertbank said:
...Take a close look at your cylinder vs the one in my picture. ...
Good eye Bob . Mine is of very late mfg . Around 1907-08 I think .

I think yours might be the "newer" Army or navy issue
You know the .41's were never military adopted ?

· Banned
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
guy sajer

HI again.

Cheated a bit. Bluebear over on another forum pointed that out to me. I am not surprised the .41LC was never used by military. SOG cartridge with a less than steller reputation. From my reading bores and cylinders were all over the map for measurements. Tomorrow I am going to test my outside lubricated 190 gr heel based bullets lubricated with Johnson Paste wax.. Hey beats bear grease grand-dad used. Lots of bears up here but no grease! LOL

I also have some hollow base bullets that I am told perform better with black powder. Well we will see. Have you ever reloaded the guns using .38 spl brass?

Stay Safe

· Administrator
13,349 Posts
robertbank said:
...Have you ever reloaded the guns using .38 spl brass?
Nope . The .41 doesn't get shot much . However , I have 5 or 6 models in 38LC . Both civilian and military . I bought a case of ammo when Remington closed it out about 20 yrs ago . I burn a box every so often .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.