1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
SAWBONES said:
None of the "exotic" leathers is actually used as a foundation for a holster nowadays.
(Shell cordovan, that is, horse muscle fascia, is an exception, being used full-thickness in holster manufacture. This is a very fine-grained leather which wears well, and looks quite nice. It isn't typical shoulder "horsehide", but a non-hair-bearing layer of tissue.)

A minor correction to your description. Shell cordovan is too flimsey to use as a stand alone material for holsters and belts and must be laminated to either a cow or horsehide backing to obtain the needed firmness. Some makers refer to their horsehide as shell horsehide, but it is NOT the same as shell cordovan. If you are ever up in Boise, Sawbones, I'd be happy to show you a hide and you will see what I mean.

Tony

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Shell cordovan? I wouldn't say it wasn't well suited, it just doesn't quite live up to the hype, IMO. The material itself is extremely expensive and is reflective in the cost of the goods made from it.

TK

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
SAWBONES said:
[BHey, Tony, you mean I been misled by Ken Null's descriptions all these years? Here I thought it was all the same piece of leather! Thanks for the correction. [/B]
I don't know. I can't find anything on Nulls website that suggests shell cordovan is the material he uses. But I have heard other makers use the term shell horsehide and since shell cordovan also comes off of a horse, it could get confusing. :confused:

TK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.