1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a complete WW2 web belt set up with a tan leather holster made by Enger-Kress, two OD mag pouches made by Boyle in 42 and a first aid pouch that I can't make out the name, just a 44.

I'm curious about the manufactures of the WW2 tan leather holsters. So far I've identified the following:
BOYT
GRATON & KNIGHT
MILWAUKEE SADDLERY CO.
SEARS
ENGER-KRESS

Please feel free to add or correct me if I'm wrong. I also tripped upon WEBLEY in a canvas version, KATHY and the new M-12(?) by Bianchi.

I also have a shoulder set up in black leather (HUNTER CORP) from Vietnam that my five-year-old runs around with his toy pistol to the horror of his Grandparents. Well okay, just Grandma.

I'm also curious if it's wise to keep your pistol in it's leather holster for long periods of time.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Sears!? I guess everyone was doing something for the country during the war. I use a Bianchi M-12 that came with my Beretta M9 Special Edition for my Colt M1991A1 currently. I just keep puttin' off gettin' something better for it. I would like to get a FOBUS paddle holster for CCW eventually and the same WWII era setup that you mentioned in your post also.

------------------
"They all fall to hardball!"

·
Registered
112 Posts
I called my local gun shop the other day. Asking if I could oversize a Gelko leather holster. As my 1991's night sights like to snag and drag. He informed me to just keep the 45 in the holster and wear it often. As this will make it size itself. I have'nt gotten into vintage holsters. So thanks for the bug man.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I haven't heard it in awhile, but I used to be told that leather holsters would attract moisture and, if a pistol is in it, rust it.

------------------

·
Administrator
74,665 Posts
So M1991A1, you have an M9 Special Edition too? Does it also collect dust in the safe like mine?
Someday I gotta quit buying guns I'll never shoot.

You shouldn't use a holster to store a handgun. The leather attracts moisture, and the acids in leather can also harm the finish over time. All the pitted old 1911's I've ever seen became that way after years of storage in a holster.

BTW my two holsters are a 1917 Graton & Knight and a WW2 Milwaukie Saddlery Co. The only gun of mine that ever sees the inside of those is my Rattley-Rand.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 01-05-2001).]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well guys I do know what causes problems on guns. The one I was refering to is stainless. And I usually store it under pillow or in soft case for travel. I don't take the word of anyone to be all meaning. Just spreading a little salt.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been told there is more acid on your fingers to ruin a gun then keeping it in a leather holster. Age leather just becomes inert. Just wipe the gun down with a good silicon cloth and put the puppy back in its holster.
Who really knows. I know I don't because, to my regret, I wasn't paying attention in chemistry class. Well, I was paying attention to something else in chemistry class. (wink wink)

If you are really worried about preserving you 45, you should keep it in a air tight glass container at some constant temperature and out of sunlight! Don't forget those silica packs!

I wonder how the military does short term storage? A spray and a plastic bag? I bet the Smithsonian could help us on this one

Anyway...back to holsters. Do you like your M-12? I see them at gun shows and thought of picking one up when I take my 45 to the field. Does the 45 fit well in a M-12?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,429 Posts
I have a nickeled Smith M&P that was kept in a flapped leather envelope for thirty years. There was one large patch of nickel eaten from the side plate, and some from the muzzle, but most of the gun looks good. It was in Palm Springs for most of that time, but was also in San Diego for a few years. A friend of mine has an old M1911 that was stored in a G.I. holster, in the Bay area, for twenty-plus years, and it didn't look too bad, either. Some scattered pits, but no large patches of rust or stains. Still, I never leave my guns in a leather holster for longer than overnight.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The .45 fits fine in a M-12. Seems a little loose, probably because its had the M-9 in it more and is more shaped to its profile. I also got a thumb strap for it, but both of the pistols tend to slip back and out of it without even releasing the strap. Not real bad, but I wouldn't use it for any streneous activities. For that I'd leave the flap on it. I also have the tactical thigh harness for it. Thats why I love it so much, its versitility. It would be worth the money to get one.

------------------

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At our local Army/Navy store I found a mint black leather sholder holster with the wrap around leather strap and oval "US" stamp for $15.00. This thing had never seen a .45. Probably late Vietnam issue.
The was a whole bunch of them in box. Some in good, fair and poor condition.
A new name I never saw that you can add to the holster list. KPM.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
How about WESTERN?
Found with some of dads' old stuff in the attic...
When he joined, he was in the Cavalry...
...Mounted Cavalry

Brown with brass leather...
I still have his spurs somewhere...The logo of WESTERN looks like a rising sun, I'm wondering if he didn't pick this up on one of the islands?

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a new one on me! Western eh?

I'm not sure if anyone will really know how many manufacturers or holsters there were in WW2, Korea and Vietnam.
I bumped into a guy at a show with a 1911 that was in a Sears holster. Sears of all companies...who wadda thought.

Hey boys! I think we broke 300 posts in the USGI forum!

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,429 Posts
I have a Western M1916 holster, dated 1917, but there is no logo, just the name and date. I also have a Cathey M1916, dated 1963. I remember my dad, trying to get his Colt into that (new) holster for a parade at Ft. Lewis the next day. When I'm actually using my guns, they're in either a Bianchi Avenger or an old Davis IPSC rig.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.