1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good OWB holster for my new Trophy Match. I've got a Tucker Gun Leather Silent Thunder on order right now for my XD-M 40. If I really like that I might get one for the TM. I was just trying to see what you guys have and what you like.

My primary concern is not scratching up the TM's finish by inserting and removing the gun from the holster.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I use a Crossbreed Snap Slide, its a Kydex holster but is leather lined. Nice and positive retention from the Kydex but has the appearance of Leather. One thing about it though is its a open bottom design and when I carry my Gov. model it tends to pop out when I sit in the truck. Mostly its due to where I wear it , 5oclock. Mainly carry a 4inch in it with no issues. Cant speak on the wear on the pistol since I have only had the holster for 6mo now.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
My primary concern is not scratching up the TM's finish by inserting and removing the gun from the holster.
ANY holster is going to wear your finish. If you want it to look new forever then have it encased in a block of lucite.

Otherwise leather will wear your finish less then plastic. For range use and games the Milt Sparks 55BN is hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
I like the Galco Avenger.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Is your TM SS? I could be wrong but I don't recall seeing a TM in AK. SS would be hard to damage in kydex or leather and you can just get it bead blasted and bam... refinished.

I like the looks of honest holster wear :)

I have a Glaco, Sparks and a Blackhawk Serpa. I like them all for their own reasons. The Sparks is by far the nicest but the Galco Concealment is nice and readily available.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Comp-Tac kydex OWB for all of my IDPA guns (7 total, including the TM), and a Minotaur MTAC IWB for everyday carry (SA XD40 Sub). As mark2734 said, if you holster it and use it for anything other than a counterweight, it will eventually show wear. The darker parts of the slide on the TM will be the first to show wear, and it won't take long if you use a holster very much...I'm at 950 rounds through my TM, and I'd be willing to bet that it gets bead blasted before it sees 5000 rounds.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
ANY holster is going to wear your finish. If you want it to look new forever then have it encased in a block of lucite.

Otherwise leather will wear your finish less then plastic. For range use and games the Milt Sparks 55BN is hard to beat.

I agree that any holster will wear your finish.

I disagree about leather doing less damage, Kydex will do it faster but the damage is limited to the conatct points which never change. Leather contacts more of your pistol and will cause more damage.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
OWB I switched to the Bianchi evader. Its Nylon and has an open bottom so it fits my Champ and TRP.

IWB I switched to the Bladetechs for both guns.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
For OWB I use Galco Avenger

For IWB I use C5 Leather Holster which has great prices and turn around time.

But as already said no matter what holster you buy and use it will wear on your 1911.............

Clyde

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
I'm looking for a good OWB holster for my new Trophy Match. I've got a Tucker Gun Leather Silent Thunder on order right now for my XD-M 40. If I really like that I might get one for the TM. I was just trying to see what you guys have and what you like.

The Silent Thunder would be a good choice for the Trophy Match. I've used it for my TRP without any problems.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm very happy with my Silent Thunder for my SA Pro. For IWB, I have a Milt Sparks VMII on order -- only 2 more months to wait!! :biglaugh:

Regards,

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a SSII and a VMII. They're both great. And yes, any holster's going to wear your finish. I call it character!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts