1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would happen if the slide stop worked it's way out while firing?

I ask mainly 'cause I have one that works itself loose, and while I have a new one on order, I'm wondering how safe it would be to shoot?

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
The barrel and slide will drop off the frame

hack said:
What would happen if the slide stop worked it's way out while firing?

I ask mainly 'cause I have one that works itself loose, and while I have a new one on order, I'm wondering how safe it would be to shoot?
You would stand there holding the frame in your hand with a silly grin on your face.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Had that happen to an auto ordinance 1911, it didn't work it's way out, but far enough that it locked up the pistol. I did the normal tap rack drill to no avail, then realized the stop was halfway out, pulled the slide back a little and popped the slide stop back in... I have a new one on order, (but since this gun is just a plinker, I'm not too concerned...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Drew said:
Had that happen to an auto ordinance 1911, it didn't work it's way out, but far enough that it locked up the pistol. I did the normal tap rack drill to no avail, then realized the stop was halfway out, pulled the slide back a little and popped the slide stop back in... I have a new one on order, (but since this gun is just a plinker, I'm not too concerned...

Hmmm, my problem is with an auto ordinance too

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The slide stop is made (or is supposed to be made) so that it cannot come out except at the very small half moon cut intended for removal. It will not come out in normal firing unless it or the slide is defective. And no, the slide stop is not intended to be kept in by the slide stop plunger, and no, it is not necessary to cut a dimple in the slide stop. It is only necessary to buy a gun from someone who knows how to make the pieces right.

Jim

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim Keenan said:
The slide stop is made (or is supposed to be made) so that it cannot come out except at the very small half moon cut intended for removal. It will not come out in normal firing unless it or the slide is defective. And no, the slide stop is not intended to be kept in by the slide stop plunger, and no, it is not necessary to cut a dimple in the slide stop. It is only necessary to buy a gun from someone who knows how to make the pieces right.

Jim
Thanks for the info Jim, I appreciate it. But what actually happens if the slide stop comes out while firing?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Then more than likely the slide stop is out of spec. The slide stop must be pressed sideways in order to slide out. So it won't just "fall out". Take a look at how the link, barrel and slidestop all interact with each other. There is no sideways force that would press the stop out. Slide stops should be square against the frame.

·
Premium Member
9,780 Posts
Bullets bumping the bottom of the slide stop during feeding can push the slide stop out during cycling. This would be where the mag follower pushes up on the slide stop to lock the slide open after last round is fired. The slide usually ties up first, locks open and isn't readily closed. At first it seems like weak mag springs or something like that. If you do have a slightly out of spec slide take down cut or slide stop it can get pushed out enough to allow the gun to cycle. Been there, done that. Mine locked open.

Check the bottom of the slide stop shelf the mag follower pushes up on to see if it has copper on it. If it does you could carefully a file a stroke at a time at that point and try it to see if it stops or changes the frequency of the malfunction. If there isn't any indication of that then check the areas mention by Jim Keenan. Gunsmith time?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.