1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all let me say up front that I am a certified, card carrying gamer. Today after the South River IDPA a group of us chronographed our loads to insure we were "legal" for the Nationals. Of the first four shooters to fire their "pet" loads across the chrono only one had a legal load. Everyone expected the "gamer" not to make it, but in fact my load was the only one to
pass. I only needed to make 850 fps, but my load screamed across the chrono at 950 fps. Some of the ones that failed the litmus test are pillars, nay, bedrock of the IDPA community around here. All I could do was stare in shock and disbelief as round after round of my shooting bud's failed the unblinking eye of the chronograph. I am shaken to the core.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Most non-gamers don't own chronographs. That's a gamer toy, don't you know that. Gamers chronograph their loads and load the minimum required for the competition and maybe a little more just in case. Non-gamers just look at the load book and figure if their load is pretty close to the max load, it's good enough. But that's not always the case, I have a 9mm that requires max charge just to make minor powerfactor.

Next time you shoot, just observe the non-gamers. Some of them tend to make many tactical mistakes like engaging the targets in the wrong order. Of course you can always confront them about why they didn't carefully and slowly sliced the pie, only gamers pop out and shoot the targets.

IDPA is a game because it has rules and keeps score.

[This message has been edited by Scooter (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
13,518 Posts
I am a gamer. Who were you referring to JoeD? As anyone that knows me know that I could care less about tactics/schmatics. So my friend's Slantpro's handload was not up to snuff, who cares? It's just a local match, it's not a sanctioned event. Are you going to report this to the Area Coordinator? Hell even the match director shoot powder puff loads. As for slicing the pie, the only pie that I slice is Mrs. Smith's Apple Pie.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The offenders must remain nameless. I assume they are at home rending their cloths and covering themselves with ashes. My gunsmith bud John and I will recover from this ugly scene. I just hope it does not take too many hours of therapy. Who would have thought my 9 x 6.5 mm loaded with 220 gr. bullets would have reached that kind of fps? I can drop the powder charge from .5 gr to .2. I must admit my titanium framed, tungsten barreled, hydraulic sprung 1911 did beter than I thought it would. I just wish my friend, that illuminates the targets for my laser, had been in the woods Sunday so I could have shot better.

[This message has been edited by Joe D (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
605 Posts
Has anybody else noticed, when Ricky get excited he type with an Asian accent?

Hey Ricky, I think I met your "friend" Slantpro at the Eyetalliun Restaurant, didn't I? How many other "friends" do you have travelling with you? Perhaps you should tell your therapist about them. And have you noticed the word therapist is made up of the words "the" and "rapist"???

Mikey

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mikey, Ricky is working on the multiple personality issue. We are just not sure which one he listens to. The thing that is a little unnerving is when his head turns in a complete circle. Those few quirks aside he is still a pretty decent guy.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Disclaimer: The following joke is not mine.

Speaking of multiple personalites, I have a friend with this disease. He called me at home a couple of days ago. When the Caller ID function kicked in my phone exploded.

Dah dumm dum.

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I can't believe it!
Shooting someone elses gun, someone elses ammo,
, what next? How about buying some powder for that poor abused SlantPro
. Maybe you could make PF then.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Super Moderator
13,518 Posts
Mikey,
You did briefly met my friend Slant Pro at that foreign restaurant.
JoeD,
I've never had a multiple personalities problem.
John,
It's cheaper to use someone else's guns and ammos. I can't afford to buy some fancy blasters like you and Mikey, and I can't build a nice racegun the way JoeD can.

·
Registered
518 Posts
gaming is ok, CHEATING IS NOT. I dont care if its the nationals or a small club. How could someone feel good about their placing knowing that you didnt deserve it. I have strong feelings torward CHEATERS, but I also have ill feelings torward those who dont practice, dont put in any effort at all, and then call the ones who beat them gamers. the only ones I ever hear use the word "gamer" are the lazy ones who need an excuse. Those people and genuin cheaters. Because some one actually knows the rules of the GAME and knows how to use them to their advantage, good for them, it shows that they took the time to READ, and NOT break any of the rules. whiners and cheaters are the skum of the IDPA, IPSC, & USPSA. maybe if some of he whiners spent as much time practicing good form as they did whining, they would all be master class shooters by now.

·
Super Moderator
7,739 Posts
Gamers? Boy my ears perked up, that or burned.

We sometimes have random chrono's at IPSC matches in my section. The last time we had a surprise chrono, one guy had a 120-pf (sub minor) load. No big deal, you just shoot for fun and not score. Wrong. He called the Chrono Dude and his equipment some choice names, none of which can be repeated here, and went away complaining about how much we suck.

Then we DQ-ed him. And all was well in the world of Eastern Colorado IPSC.

We have yet to run a chrono at a local IDPA match. But when we do, I want to be at the front of the line, as I know my Steyr won’t run below a 135 pf. My Elite II can run on 100 pf ammo though…

LONG LIVE THE GAMER! Gonna have to figure out what that is in Latin and have some shirts made. Anyone interested?

If we do start Team Gamer, John and I must be the Pres and Vice.

Tom
AF Gaming Team

·
Registered
610 Posts
Wow!
Some awfully strong responses to JoeD's little story. It must be all the pressure of the Nationals...

Steve(who's factory ammo was sub-PF)

·
Super Moderator
13,518 Posts
I think Steve's PF was around 90

Before all of you (except for Tom) get too excited, the chrono was not part of the match. We chronoed our loads that we plan to use at the National. And most of us suspected that our handloads were not up to snuff, hence the reason for dragging the chrono machine out. All of us will make PF, and my official load did make PF (200gr. x 900 fps = 180 ). That load made the old time IPSC major PF, if you remember that far back. And JoeD was not invited to the chrono event, he stuck his nose in unwelcomed.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Originally posted by imashooter2:
So did they DQ themselves or not? It is a matter of honor. They know they violated the rules. The venue is of no consequence.
Yes, we all DQed ourselves from the chronomatch. To be absolutely honest, I was using factory ammo, and never really gave a lot of thought to the PF, until they brought the chrono out the other day. If I have to, I will shoot .38 +P, +P+, or even .357 Mag to make the PF at Nationals. As far as honor is concerned, don't impose your interpretation of honor upon others, it's impolite.

BTW RT, my PF came out to be 98 using that old military ball ammo. It was 120 with some of the light bullet weight +P+ ammo, and it was 183 with the .357 Mag ammo. I am currently on the search for some hot .38 SPl ammo, any suggestions?

Steve

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The original post was intended to be good natured ribbing of some of my shooting buds. Ricky, if you have a problem with me we can discuss it Wed. night in whatever manner you choose. BTW you did invite me to use the chrono.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Steve, I did find 300 rds of 160 gr. fmj bullets at home. If you want me to load some for you let me know.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts