1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing articles and ads for Karambits. Do any of you carry one of these for defense? They don't look like they would be as versatile for that as a straighter blade.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Banned
967 Posts
Go to www.folders-r-us.org

knife test section of the index to the left.

Go to http://www.usualsuspect.net/

Become a registered member and log in, then go to kerambit.com in the index of subjects.

There is much to learn about the kerambit and it's effectiveness.

Go www.bladeforums.com , log in and search for kerambit on the site. There you will find pros and cons in threads for the last year relative this weapon.

I personally like the design perameters and have no problem carrying one for defensive purposes.

Thats should get you started.

Brownie

·
Banned
967 Posts
level:

I use mine to do the flashy demos quite a bit for others as you mention.

Most defensive knives will never be used for defense for several reasons:

1. There are not that many instances of defense of ones person with a knife in this country

2. Most will never access their knife in time to defend with it.

3. Most importantly, most have not taken the time to have the knowledge necessary to defend themselves with their EDC, even if it is carried with that in mind.

Now, the kerambit begs to be "played" with [ utilizing the extentions and retractions drills ]. By "flashing" this weapon continuously and doing the things one can do with this blade that can't be done with a conventional knife, one gains more experience in handling defensive knife of their choice.

When was the last time you, for no reason at all, took the edc from your pocket and practiced the manual dexterity drills from forward to reverse and back just for the fun of it.

Familiarity with ones weapons platform breeds self confidence and ability to use the damned thing more efficiently and effectively.

If the kerambit is mostly used for "flashy demonstrations" because the knife begs to be played with, doesn't it make sense one will be better versed than, say, a person who carries a 600.00 conventional folder and doesn't practice the manual dexterity drills?

I enjoy [ while wearing wrist gauntlets ] running the kerambit through it's paces. I'm one of those people who will "drill" until it is a no brainer to move in the hand. Then again, I'm also one who performs the manual dexterity drills with my conventional folders quite often as well.

Last time I did the manual dexterity on my edc convetional SnG was this morning riding up the elevator alone. Had it out, drilled forawrd to reverse several times, swapped out to the off hand and drilled again, then put away before the door opened on the 22nd floor.

Bet there are not many who know the drills, let alone practice them here on this site daily whenever they have a chance.

If the kerambit makes one want to "drill" with it, they are going to be better off through familiarity with the EDC than another who carries a conventional folder and only takes it out to cut boxes or mundane chores should they have to use it defensively.

Brownie

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
When was the last time you, for no reason at all, took the edc from your pocket and practiced the manual dexterity drills from forward to reverse and back just for the fun of it.
If you're an idiot like me DO NOT do this; shell out for a trainer.

The nice part is if you keep it sharp, it may draw lots of blood but it doesn't hurt very much :D

I like the Karambit because I like to uhhh...celebrate my Asian-American heritage ;)...seriously I find it's easier to manipulate things (other guy's limbs and body) with karambit in hand than with a conventional blade.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
The flash part of the Karambit sounds kind of like the flash with a butterfly knife, it's good to play/practice with and when you get good with it , it can be a very effective defensive tool. I have not been able to find a karambit I liked the feel of. Maybe one day I'll find the light.
keep 'em sharp!

·
Banned
967 Posts
goldmatch45 :

Not quite the same, here's why [ relative folders ]

The flash of the balisongs comes from the way they are opened and made ready to use.

The flash of the kerambit is in the retraction and extension drills and the spinning of the kerambit around the finger using the "ring" once it ihas been opened and readied for defense.

They both have that flash thing going, but you have to flash the balisong to get it into play, the kerambit does not flash and never needs to be flashed to use it, that is up to the individual user.

Good point though, they can be flashed as you say and could be equated similairly in the regard.

Brownie

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
From my limited experience it seems most people who train with a bali know it does not have to be flashed open to be used. Closed it can be a great non lethal tool to control an attacker. Which in my mind makes it a more versatile tool. The flash is mostly used to intimidate the attacker or jackass which ever the case maybe. I don't train with a bali I find it a fun toy, but have see enough to know I'll run like hell if the dude behind it knows how to use it. I'm sure I would do the same for a skilled kerambit user given the option. I'll keep an open mind about the kerambit until I get some training with one.
thanks for sharing your knowledge!

·
Banned
967 Posts
Agreed,

It is a great loadfist tool unopened. Probably one fo the better ones now that you mention it.

If one is to use the blade to defend, the flash is going to be seen as the design parameters make it so, unless hidden from view upon deployment.

Brownie

·
Registered
189 Posts
brownie0486 said:
Last time I did the manual dexterity on my edc convetional SnG was this morning riding up the elevator alone. Had it out, drilled forawrd to reverse several times, swapped out to the off hand and drilled again, then put away before the door opened on the 22nd floor.

Brownie
Brownie,

I would love to see the look on the security guard's face while he scans the security cameras and watches a guy in an elevator practice tactical killing moves! :biglaugh:

Travis

·
Banned
967 Posts
I try to keep the knife in my hand as often as possible during the day.

Quick trip in the elevator gives me a time constraint before I hit the floor I want with a given set of movements in that alotted time.

The real trick part is when the bell goes off, the car stops and the doors open to load someone else going up before I get to 22.

Then it's scramble to fold and clip back on the pocket and act as you are bored when the door opens. It's always a challenge to do more in the same time frame from ground to 22.

I've had to turn away from the doors to put it away so the person could not see that last movement to the pocket. Then you look like you thought you dropped something and turn their attention to the floor [redirect their thought process ].

Live dangerously, but keep practicing. The stress induced in the possiblity someone catches you before you can conceal back on the pocket is a good stress indicator as to whether you will fumble under unknown pressures placed upon you.

Nothing like stressed to get it put away while you are practicing the manual dexterities to see if you will suffer the same thing when confronted on the street.

The thought of getting caught in the act of playing with the knife in public and causing another to fear his safety which will get you in big trouble can be compared to the stresses of survival.

I would not suggest others attempt this nor do I recommend this action be duplicated from the statements made here by me. Building security managers are aware of my backround, I have a repore with them, and I know the limitations and timing from years of practice on the deployment and closings of the EDC's I carry.

Brownie

·
Registered
189 Posts
Those are rather good points, Brownie! I didn't mean to infer that you just play around with a knife for fun in the elevator! After reading your posts for a while, I figured that you wouldn't do something like that without a reason ;)

Travis

·
Banned
967 Posts
Like I tell my wife at the time,

I have a reason for doing everything I do.

Have purpose in your actions, time is finite.

Brownie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts