1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i was cleaning my CQB this this morning and I noticed these deep marks on the breech face. The only thing i could think of was that I reloaded about 200 rounds of random brass and some of the primers may be loose of some and leaking back? Also just so you know the bullet i used was 200 gr Hornady HAP very light load not loaded to the max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
A steel breachface shows a little after hundreds of rounds. A "painted" AT finish is much softer. No surprise.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks to me like wear of the AT finish not etched in the steel, if it is not etched in the steel, that is normal wear. If in steel, loose primers.

Its cut into the steel. I used a tooth pick to confirm. I am really bummed out. Never again will i pick up random brass.

·
Registered
574 Posts
One of my 1911's has some erosion, not that bad, others have none. They all used the same ammo, handloads with used mixed brass. I have seen this discussed before and a bad lot of primers where blamed. The primer cup cracked, usually in the bend area, and let gas escape.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
If someone desires to use cheap/not-so-good sources of ammo, there is a good reason for also owning cheaper guns.

IOW, save the cheaper ammo for the cheaper guns. Nothing wrong with that (but obviously use top tier eye protection).

Use premium ammo in guns costing upwards of one thousand dollars, certainly $3k+

Just my sentiments.

----

OP, while the disappointment is obvious to anyone who loves their best 1911s, I'll guess -- and hope -- that this wear will have little or no effect on your gun's functionally and longevity. Don't get too "down" about it.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Looks like primer erosion, that's weird honestly. I've never had that issue with any factory ammo and I use a good amount of steel case

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If someone desires to use cheap/not-so-good sources of ammo, there is a good reason for also owning cheaper guns.

IOW, save the cheaper ammo for the cheaper guns. Nothing wrong with that (but obviously use top tier eye protection).

Use premium ammo in guns costing upwards of one thousand dollars, certainly $3k+

Just my sentiments.

----

OP, while the disappointment is obvious to anyone who loves their best 1911s, I'll guess -- and hope -- that this wear will have little or no effect on your gun's functionally and longevity. Don't get too "down" about it.

Yes sir, learned the hard way. Has not been a good weekend for me. I will recover but man what a lesson.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its best to always use new factory ammo. I know reloading is cheaper but with the factory stuff you get a lot less issues like this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts