1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was reading the post on picking a 1911 for your wife. I'm unmarried but teach my friends (all college students, mainly conservative Christians neutral about guns, gun control and the second amendment, but I'm trying to win them over) how to shoot.

What is followthrough? I read about teaching proper followthrough but not exactly sure what this means. So far I teach them safety, sight alignment, safety, trigger control, safety, proper handling, oh yeah, and safety.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Administrator
72,152 Posts
Follow-through is continuing your rearward press on the trigger and proper hold even after the shot has been fired. The reason is that the point of trigger release should be in the middle of a trained motion, not the end which would lead to jerking the trigger.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by dsk:
Follow-through is continuing your rearward press on the trigger and proper hold even after the shot has been fired. The reason is that the point of trigger release should be in the middle of a trained motion, not the end which would lead to jerking the trigger.

So what's the (incorrect) alternative, jsut tapping the trigger (uncontrolled) without regard to the workings of the trigger? So what I'm supposed to do (and teach!) is to smoothly pull the trigger back, hold it back until I regain my sight picture, then work the trigger reset, then smoothly pull again? Let me know if this makes sense, or should I clarify my terminology...?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Put another way, follow through is trying to have the same sight picture after the shot is fired that you had before the shot was fired and hold it for a second or two.

Examples of bad form would be premature lowering of the pistol to see where you hit or immediately relaxing, as if finished, after breaking the shot.

If you really want to teach, I strongly encourage you to seek out an NRA training counselor and get certified to instruct.

Mikey

·
Registered
354 Posts
Maybe "folow-through" depends on your context. When I took training at Front Sight, they used follow-through to mean: the after shooting drills of:

1) Rapid checking for additional threats,
2) Rechecking that your target hasn't gotten up or become a threat again, and
3) A thorough and careful checking for additional threats.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Agree with dsk. I used to have a habit of firing, then immediately releasing the trigger to the point where my finger would lose contact with it. The result was terrible trigger slap and worse shot placement when I tried too hard to hurry the second shot. When I learned about holding the trigger back until the sight was back on target, I was amazed (I'm easily amazed, but that's beside the point
) at how much quicker I could get the gun back on target in the same spot it was before the shot.

So anyway, learning to follow through in this way was one of the big learning steps for me that really made a noticeable improvement in my shooting.

·
Registered
350 Posts
An example of improper follow through would be trying to fight recoil,,,a lot of times, it is the beginning of anticipating recoil which causes accuracy problems. You are trying to minimize any possible movement of the gun just prior to, during, and after the firing of the cartridge.

If you ever get a chance to use a FATS (FireArms Training System) with an experienced instructor using the systems muzzle trace capabilities, you can literally see what good follow through is through the literal tracing of the muzzle on the screen.

The gun is going to recoil no matter what we as shooters do,,,,law of physics.

Like DSK said, continue with your proper trigger squeeze and try to reacquire your sight picture (front sight as you all know) before looking at the target to see how you did. It takes some discipline but will make a great difference in accuracy.

Thanks,
H4444

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Lack of follow-through is sort of "relaxing" the concentration on holding the gun on aimed point on the target. This allows the muzzle to drop - the start of the drop being often before the trigger is actually released - or the bullet has cleared the barrel - leading to hitting low.

While recoil will upset the sight picture, correct follow-through is sort of like shooting, and imagining the gun will not recoil - and that you are going to hold it with sights aligned on the precise aimed point on the target for a second or two after the gun has fired. Of course the gun in recoil will upset all this - but holding with follow-through as such eliminates any chance of muzzle drop before the trigger is released and the bullet is clear of the barrel.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I don't know what follow through is in shooting. But I know shot alignment is squeezing the trigger as your point of aim is dead eye. And having the squeeze be on target. Not flinching with nervous reaction to the resulting recoil, large flame and, sound. Associated with the squeeze to hammer release. That is why so many take for granted the dry firing scenerio. Where new shooters dry fire the weapon to get unafraid of the pull on alignment. It is something we older 1911 shooters take for granted. Yet still have to adjust for after a long layoff(10 days or more). It will shock you after not shooting it for awhile. The wonderful .45ACP in semi auto 1911 fashion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
follow this, and teach it:

Holding
Aiming
Breathing
Instictive Body position
Triger manipulation

it should become HABIT for you to do these things automatically after a while. seeing as this thread is related to "follow through" this would fall under Trigger manipulation. when you squese the trigger bring it back all the way to the rear then let go on the trigger, you should hear the sear clunk back into place. if you've ever played baseball you know followthrough is the second most important thing next to "keep your eye on the ball" if you swing a bat at a ball, and when your eye, and the vibrations tell you you've hit the ball, you have to keep on swinging the bat in its course. if you let up too soon, and anticipate when the bat is going to hit the ball you will lose all your power and your placement. i hope that explains it.
steve

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I don't mean to be abrupt but if you have to ask what follow through is, perhaps you might want to hold off on instructing others just yet. It's a basic fundamental of shooting that's even taught in NRA basic pistol classes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts