1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's, new here, and love the site !
I just recently picked up a Springfield Arm. Loaded and I do like it, it is not broken in yet so the few dislike that I have I will wait and address them later. BUT, now I have a different problem, Im hooked on 1911's. After spending a few days reading post after post I would like to get a custom gun next. My new problem is that the RRA I guess is not legal here in CA (KA) thanks to Mr Davis, what is legal here ? Are there any custom gun builder's that have a CA legal gun that doesnt cost $2,000. the RRA looked real good at about $1200-$1500. Am I stuck with the over the counter guns ?

Any idea if Gunsite, STI, Caspian or anything else has a gun that can be perchased here in CA ?
thanks in advance for the replies

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Where are my manners?
Welcome to the board, Bobby. Sorry if my first reply came off sounding rather cold.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome to the board, and the 1911. I was born and raised in Los Angeles County, don't live there anymore though, moved to a more gun friendly state. I did hear it was still legal to catch a breath of freash air when it's available

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by bucksnuffer:
I did hear it was still legal to catch a breath of freash air when it's available
Good morning sir, may I see your breath of fresh air permit?

Actually I hear rumor that folks in SOCAL refuse to breath anything they can't see or cut with a knife.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Bascially if you want a custom gun in Kalifornia, what you end up doing is buying a Kalifornia certified gun, stripping the parts off of it and send the frame to a custom builder.

Of the approved 1911's, there are:
Rock Island
Charles Daly
Colt
Kimber
Les Baer
Para
Springfield
Wilson

·
Registered
354 Posts
Howdy fellow Kalifornian!

Scooter's idea is the best one available to us: Contact the smith you want to have the work done by and ask his advice on what basic Calif-legal 1911 to purchase, then, send it to him for customization.

On the other hand, Wilson's CQB is pretty nice and comes in a CA-legal model. Hopefully one will be in my future.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I believe that the Valtro is Kalifornia legal, and it stickers at the $1200 range. Theres a report on it somewhere in the "other 1911" category of this forum. I have a number of sample pics on my website.
http://www.geocities.com/electric_armadillo

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend." - Yasir Arrafat (On going to war over religion)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Here's what my gunsmith would tell you, he's one of the top pistolsmith in the US. I recently heard his sales pitch to someone and it makes total sense. If you want to buy a $600 or so handgun, Kimbers and SA are good guns for the price. However, if you plan on buying a $1000+ production gun, it's not worth it. He feels that you will be better off buying the basic SA gun (since we're in Kalifornia) and pay him $600+ to completely rebuild the gun.

In the end, you have a much higher quality gun for about the same price as one of the "higher grade" models.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the warm welcomes, and replies. I have never heard of Rock Island, mybe Ill check in to there guns. perhaps the smith customizing my SA will be the best way to go, scooter do you have a way that I could get in touch with your pistol smith ? I am so new to these works or art called 1911's that I have no idea who to go to or contact.What are the changes of buying a used custom or is that illegal too. I do have one question that I hope you guy's have mercy on me for not knowing, what is the model 1991 and how does it differ from the 1911 ? Thanks again guy's

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
what is the model 1991 and how does it differ from the 1911 ?
The 1991 is Colt's current production model of the 1911. Basically it's the same, except it has a firing pin safety. They also go by the name of "Government Model," and they have a new rollmark. Check the Colt forum for more info.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Scooter, who is your pistolsmith? I live in Fairfield, just down the road from you, and would love to find a really good smith who is local.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I had the same problem. The best 1911's available in Kalifornia are the Para-Ords. I just bought a Para 1640 LTD (very nice gun). Springfield and Kimber are also on the list, but not any of their .40SW guns (you didn't specify caliber?). As to getting a custom gun: the frame (receiver) is the part that is regulated. If you have a "legal" frame, you can send it to a custom shop and have a custome slide/barrel put on it and have it tuned up and still be legal. I estimate this would cost you about $1000 parts and labor. I just priced a complete 6" stainless slide and all parts for my STI Trojan receiver and it would be about $700 and you would add gunsmith fitting labor to that. I declined and just bought a Para. I still might do it to get a 6" longslide in .40 for my Trojan. The killer is I could get the complete gun new from STI for about $1000, but they aren't legal here now.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> You mean there is more than one caliber in the 1911?
Welcome aboard Bobby!
=================
<><> Raspy <><>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts