1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I recently inherited a 1966 government model Colt .45 pistol. It looks like it's never been shot. It was in original brown Colt box with spring and spare barrel.
Does anyone have any idea what it's worth? Any help appreciated.

thank you. Wood Font Material property Rectangle Gas
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory
Bicycle part Eyewear Gadget Bumper Gun barrel
Brown Rectangle Beige Flooring Tints and shades

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,061 Posts
The grips are not original, a trigger shoe has been added, and the mainspring housing retaining pin is installed backwards, so even if it hasn't been shot, it's not untouched.
2022 gun values seem to be calculated in play money, and wouldn't be surprised to see that tagged $2000 or more at my LGS.

·
Premium Member
17,052 Posts
Have to see more pictures of the two barrels to figure out what's going on there. Even if the trigger shoe is removed, its going to leave marks on the trigger, and if something is wrong with the original barrel, that's another deduction. Original grips for it are about $200 now. I think until more is known, you can't put a normal value on it. If I had to guess right now I'd say $1250. But all that aside, it could be 'collectible' in original condition. It also makes a great 'shooter' because of the fully-hardened slide. Finally, these are unsurpassed to use as the base for a custom pistol.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The grips are not original, a trigger shoe has been added, and the mainspring housing retaining pin is installed backwards, so even if it hasn't been shot, it's not untouched.
2022 gun values seem to be calculated in play money, and wouldn't be surprised to see that tagged $2000 or more at my LGS.
Hey Rick, I agree with most of your assessment, but my 1951 is untouched and NIB as if it just rolled off the assembly line...and the MSH pin was installed "backwards". It's pretty common on Commercials, for whatever reason.

I'd bet there's a fair chance that pistol has never been detail stripped.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Beautiful Commercial Colt you have Sir! The magazine on the left does not appear to have ever been used/used very little. Trigger shoe extended the trigger, since this has the short trigger in it, looks like the Brown plastic grips were replaced with Walnut grips, looks like it's in pristine condition, congrats!

Why another barrel is present along with a spare recoil spring and firing pin spring is anyone's guess.

·
Administrator
78,705 Posts
If I had to guess right now I'd say $1250.
I'd buy that pistol for $1250 without thinking twice, even with its warts. There's nothing wrong with it that can't be corrected. I think $2000 is more like it. Yes I know there are collectors here who claim to be able to find these things for $900 all day long, but I don't have one of their magic 1911 magnets.

Reactions: Hoptoad

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
There was a 1968 model at one of the LGS just before the Pandemic that was tagged at $1450 but it was original and the day it was put out it got snapped up. The finish was a little beat and it had been shot a lot over the years. I guess it had been owned previously by a WWII vet who bought it new after having had one when he served and decided years later to buy a Colt. It became available after he had passed and his daughter traded it at the store for a gun she wanted. When I saw it, the gun had already been bought by someone else or I would have grabbed it. I never see older guns at the stores nowadays.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I collect high condition, pre 70 series pistols and own four 1966 Colts, three of which are Government Models. My average cost is/was $1725. The example shown, with box, although not entirely correct, is an unusually nice pistol. The original finish is nearly perfect and, in that condition, very hard to find.
It should retail for $2200-$2300. As a collector, I'd probably pay $1700-$1800, remove the trigger shoe, replace the grips and be happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Okay here are some more pics. The one magazine looks unused as well as the spare barrel. The installed barrel has a black tone and the spare is silver. The springs are unused and no noticeable marks. The box is in good shape with one corner flaking off. And come to think of it, I think I've seen the original grips. They are probably in a box at my parents house.
Air gun Trigger Automotive exterior Shotgun Bumper
Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Vehicle door Automotive exterior
Gadget Communication Device Input device Output device Finger
Output device Gadget Purple Automotive design Finger

Hood Netbook Computer Output device Gadget

Revolver Automotive design Bicycle part Gadget Carbon

Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Wood Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
28,137 Posts
I collect high condition, pre 70 series pistols and own four 1966 Colts, three of which are Government Models. My average cost is/was $1725. The example shown, with box, although not entirely correct, is an unusually nice pistol. The original finish is nearly perfect and, in that condition, very hard to find.
It should retail for $2200-$2300. As a collector, I'd probably pay $1700-$1800, remove the trigger shoe, replace the grips and be happy.
Filson do you know of a source for original or reproduction Coltwood grips of this time period? I have a 1959 Government model currently sporting gold cup grips from a later time period. If I could get the correct grips for mine I would like to do so.

·
Premium Member
17,052 Posts
The barrel with 'Colt .45 Auto' on top is the original or original type. If you showed the other barrel I couldn't tell anything about it. We need to see the bottoms of the magazines to tell if they are Colt. I hope those original grips turn up for sure. They are brown 'plastic' with a large rampant colt in circle cast in. I cannot imagine why anybody put a different barrel in it. Looks like they used the pin and link out of the original to install the replacement - you can undo that if you wish.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Filson do you know of a source for original or reproduction Coltwood grips of this time period? I have a 1959 Government model currently sporting gold cup grips from a later time period. If I could get the correct grips for mine I would like to do so.
There is a company that makes replacement grips but I've forgotten the name. dsk has the information, ie name and website. FWIW, I've looked at pictures and am not comfortable about how close they approximate original grips.
OEM grips are out there, pawn shops, gunshows, eBay, etc. but most are shrunken at the grip screw holes and unusable. If you do find a usable set, be prepared to pay a premium priced and, If you do find a set, make sure you see them on a pistol before you pay.

·
Administrator
78,705 Posts
The site is vintagegungrips.com, but I'm not too keen on their reproduction pre-70 grips. They look okay aside from the fact that they're too short and don't reach the bottom of the frame.

Reactions: USMM guy
1 - 17 of 17 Posts