1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that brownells sells a couple of jigs, one sold by wilson. If I want to install a wilson grip safety, do I just need to buy the jig and a file and file down the metal of the tang to match the jig? Does any material in-between the two halves of the tang need to be removed?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
The jig allows you to remove material on the frame to allow the proper radius for the safety to mount and pivot. You still will need to fine tune the fit, either with additional material removed and re-shaped on the frame and/or the safety.

There may still be some "steps" between the frame and safety that will need to be blended for the best appearance and function.

·
Registered
841 Posts
You should not need to remove metal from between the tangs. You may have to blend the bottom of the tang still after rounding them to the .250" radius if you are using one of the high grip style beavertail similar to the Ed Brown. I'm not sure if Wilson makes one like the Ed Brown though......if not then you should be able to place the jig on the frame and just file up to it. The beavertail should fit the frame then and you will then need to fit it up to the trigger so that it actually works correctly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts